Experiences with Online Retailers

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)

1. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    Do they not do eftpos?
    Not as far as I'm aware. That may be an option, but it's not one that leapt out at me.

Anyway, EftPos has a $1,500-$2,000 limit for most vendors.

2. Post
    ariosto wrote:
    Retailer: www.elive.co.nzGreat, great service. Really good selection, and delivered very fast indeed-3 working days for the lot.
    But as usual, sales go well, how about after sales service?
    When you need to RMA or there is some other problem?

Thats when all the sad tales start................you can't rank a shop just on sales. Even Supercheap sell you things OK.

3. Post
    pctek wrote:
    But as usual, sales go well, how about after sales service?
    When you need to RMA or there is some other problem?

Thats when all the sad tales start................you can't rank a shop just on sales. Even Supercheap sell you things OK.
    Ok, that's the third time you've said this now. How about posting some of your experiences instead of shooting everyone else's down?

Sales is part of the overall experience, so you just cannot ignore that part of the relationship with a retailer. I do agree that after sales service is also a key component, but many people have probably not been in this situation so have nothing to say.

I myself have never had any issues with something I've purchased (computer related, over the internet), where I've required after sales service. I have, however, recently had an issue with a video card I purchased from PBTech in Auckland. I built my own PC for the first time with parts from multiple online retailers, and it kept on crashing randomly. The only part I purchased instore was the video card from PBTech, and luckily that was the fautly component. I was able to take my whole PC to them to troubleshoot, and they eventually found that the video card was at fault.

The only issue I had with this whole experience was that the card that I had purchased some 5 months beforehand (7600GT) was no longer sold. They wanted to contact the distributor in Australia to see if they had any residual stocks left, which would have taken an additional 2 weeks to sort (they already had my PC for two weeks to diagnose the problem). After a bit of forceful negotiation, I convinced them to give me a 8600GT replacement, as that card was retailing for the same price I paid for the 7600GT. In the end I was satisfied.

As for pre-sales/sales service, I've had a very unsatisfying experience with Jimmy from XtremeSystems. The guy dicked me around quite a bit, and again I had to get very forceful to achieve the outcome I got. I will not deal with XtremeSystems again, which gives you a good idea of the rating I give them.

Satch.

4. Post
    Satch I think you misunderstood a little bit. pctek said you can't rank a shop just on sales. Saying sales are part of it just not the whole package.

I've dealt with the cheapies and none of them are worth it unless you are able to make eye contact with them. They turn a blind eye to help emails. You'll find cheaper stores also outsource their RMA service, which takes even longer.

5. Post
    Continuing from the old thread, regarding friend's experience with C1 ShoppingMall.

He ordered some stuff from them, including a DVD writer (or player, but probably writer). It was faulty and he wanted to return it. He said that if you buy something you can reach someone on the phone, but when you want to return - phone is busy, or the person is not there or somethings else. After 2 days, they said "send it back", afterwards it took them 2 weeks to test it, and send a replacement. So, he's not happy with their customer service (although they still honored warranty).

My own experience with PlayTech:
    Retailer: PlayTech
    Rating: 8.5/10
    Total cost of purchase: $793

Cons:
    * you could send your credit card details in plain text for everyone to see via their web site. Now, I didn't do a thorough investigation, but it'll be suffice to say that neither Opera nor Mozilla show their site as secure on the card credit information input page. I don't think they care about that, when I mentioned that in an e-mail, they said nothing about that matter.
    * the motherboard wasn't in pristine packaging, well, that happens.

Pros:
    * the sales guy knew stuff about the hardware I ordered (about G0 stepping for Q6600), overall could be of help choosing components probably.
    * when I came to pickup, everything was ready.

6. Post
    ascent = $370

Awesome

7. Post
    ledestin wrote:
    Continuing from the old thread, regarding friend's experience with C1 ShoppingMall.

He ordered some stuff from them, including a DVD writer (or player, but probably writer). It was faulty and he wanted to return it. He said that if you buy something you can reach someone on the phone, but when you want to return - phone is busy, or the person is not there or somethings else. After 2 days, they said "send it back", afterwards it took them 2 weeks to test it, and send a replacement. So, he's not happy with their customer service (although they still honored warranty).
    I can see what you mean, they've had my 226bw since Tuesday and not even an update :|

8. Post
    Satch wrote:
    Ok, that's the third time you've said this now.

I myself have never had any issues with something I've purchased where I've required after sales service.

I have, however, recently had an issue with a video card I purchased from PBTech in Auckland. I was able to take my whole PC to them to troubleshoot, and they eventually found that the video card was at fault.
    You just showed that you had exactly that. An issue where you needed after sales service.

What do you think taking a PC in to trouble shoot the faulty card is?

A lot of stores wouldn't do that because the only item you bought was the card, and some wouldn't even care about that either.

Thats what I am getting at.

9. Post
    pctek wrote:
    You just showed that you had exactly that. An issue where you needed after sales service.

What do you think taking a PC in to trouble shoot the faulty card is?
    Ok, good point. Guess I wasn't concentrating on what I was saying...

pctek wrote:
    A lot of stores wouldn't do that because the only item you bought was the card, and some wouldn't even care about that either.

Thats what I am getting at.
    Don't think I agree with you on this one. PBTech took my PC on the basis that if it was not the graphics card, then I'd be up for a repair bill. And if it was the card then it was under warrantee. I'd imagine most places which have a service department would do this.

10. Post
    Updated, c1shoppingmall now pending drop due to very poor RMA service taking upwards of 2 weeks and not solving anything to me and another person so far.

11. Post
    I've just had a reasonably good RMA experience with TasTech.

I purchased a HDD off TasTech last week. Discovered on Sunday that it was faulty, so sent them an email Sunday arvo. Got a reply back within an hour asking to return it.

I packaged up the HDD and was ready to send it Monday morning. Unfortunately Grant (the owner I assume) was almost impossible to get hold of. Finally I got a reply to my email early Monday afternoon with the RMA details. The drive arrived to him on Tuesday, and was tested same day, and a replacement sent to me late Tuesday. Received Wednesday afternoon and am happy as Larry again.

+1 for TasTech against the few negative's I've read here and elsewhere.

12. Post
    Satch wrote:
    I've just had a reasonably good RMA experience with TasTech.

I purchased a HDD off TasTech last week. Discovered on Sunday that it was faulty, so sent them an email Sunday arvo. Got a reply back within an hour asking to return it.

I packaged up the HDD and was ready to send it Monday morning. Unfortunately Grant (the owner I assume) was almost impossible to get hold of. Finally I got a reply to my email early Monday afternoon with the RMA details. The drive arrived to him on Tuesday, and was tested same day, and a replacement sent to me late Tuesday. Received Wednesday afternoon and am happy as Larry again.

+1 for TasTech against the few negative's I've read here and elsewhere.
    Now thats fantastic RMA service, anything under 1 week is great, but nearly 3 weeks now with c1, terrible.

13. Post
    Retailer:Paradigm Pcs (www.pp.co.nz)
    Rating:9/10
    Total cost of purchase:
    Comments have always brought my goods here and have never had any problems, Also they do free shipping.

14. Post
    Retailer: Acquire (http://www.acquire.co.nz/)
    Rating: 10/10
    Total cost of purchase: $92.66
    Comments: Placed order for Targus Fusion Messenger Laptop Case at around 2pm, and item arrived early morning the next day(8am)! Less than 24 hours turnaround time. Couldn't have been happier! Excellent service!

15. Post
    Retailer :PCTronix
    www.pctronix.co.nz

Price 8/10 (not the cheapest, but everytime I've had questions they've had awnsers)
    Customer service 10/10 (reply to emails same day and stuff normally arrives overnight and see experiance below)

Bought a few things with them in the past and been very happy. Adobe CS3, Ram, Power Supply and 3com router

Just had my Enermax power supply pack a sad on me few weeks ago (it was 11 months old). I was stressed cos I lost the invoice, but no sweat, they looked it up by serial number. They couldn't swap it straight away and had to send it away but they installed loaner for me while they sent the Enemax away for repair. Got it back few days later and they even installed it in 10 mins while I waited. Some of the best service i've had in a long time. Nice people

16. Post
    I joined this forum for this thread alone. With good reason:

C1 shopping mall should be right in the poor pile! their RMA routines are simply disgusting! I made the mistake of Buying an ASUS p5K-E motherboard from C1 and from day one ive had issues with it. RMAd it the first time without too much hassle. Took longer than i would have liked but i didnt think much of it. but oh noes! Replacement Board did the same things. Attempted to RMA it but apparantly c1s RMA team take november through mid january off as a holiday unlike every other store. This meant that i couldnt have the board replaced until mid january this year.

Finally i got the RMA number i needed and sent it back (very well packaged sent via my workplace). Took them forever to actually tell me they had it using the excuse 'wrong RMA number' (c1 emails RMA numbers in the form G-00XXX or somthing but they only use the last 4 digits which means if you follow their emails, they will tell you you have the wrong number > in my opinion this is confusing and not an acceptable excuse). I used track and trace to track it and it turns out they had had it a full week, sitting there doing nothing (took a personal call to their 0900 number to get them to verify it, at my cost. And i hate paying telecom anything more than i absolutely have to). They then told me that the board was 'damaged' via scratches and bent pins which in my experience is not easily done on modern hardware. I called shenannigans on that but they fervently denied a quick replacement and opted to send it to ASUS australia! Took the just under a MONTH to get it back to me!

And to top it off guess what? the new board is only doing THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE OTHER 2!!! 3 Boards in and ive been without a functioning pc for about 3 months or so! Im stuck on this horrible little ASUS Celeron D laptop (a freakin desktop chip) ive had to borrow with a hard drive with 80% fragmentation (cant reformat it for lack of permission and the Dfrag does nothing) which cant even play DOOM ffs!

Conclusion: They may do some good deals but avoid C1 Like the plague! Go see Ascent technology or somthing. They may charge a bit more but they actually value their cutomers.

Now that thats out of the way, the good retailers:

Modster PC - excellent - Great range of products and a helpfull owner, have dealt with Modster on a regular basis and id highly reccommend them. The owner has gone so far as to replace things without question such as a dead LED thumb screw, toasted inverters etc. Everytime ive enquired ive had a fast and helpfull reply and the free delivery is great!

Legion Enterprises - excellent - Legion is the only E-Store owner i know who actually liases with his customers via Messenger clients. The store has a great range of awesome ACRyan product and SilenX fans at good prices. Legion also does some great deals on a range of stuffs. Getting somthing replaced was painless. All i had to do was Ask Legion if he could replace my Faulty ACRyan Fan (dropped a LED) and in less than a week, i had a brand new Fan installed and running flawlessly! The proccess was a far more persona and pleasant experiance than most RMA based processes.

17. Post
    Sorry to thread jack, but what exactly was the problem with your P5K-E? :confused:

18. Post
    Sporb wrote:
    I joined this forum for this thread alone. With good reason:

C1 shopping mall should be right in the poor pile! their RMA routines are simply disgusting! I made the mistake of Buying an ASUS p5K-E motherboard from C1 and from day one ive had issues with it. RMAd it the first time without too much hassle. Took longer than i would have liked but i didnt think much of it. but oh noes! Replacement Board did the same things. Attempted to RMA it but apparantly c1s RMA team take november through mid january off as a holiday unlike every other store. This meant that i couldnt have the board replaced until mid january this year.

Finally i got the RMA number i needed and sent it back (very well packaged sent via my workplace). Took them forever to actually tell me they had it using the excuse 'wrong RMA number' (c1 emails RMA numbers in the form G-00XXX or somthing but they only use the last 4 digits which means if you follow their emails, they will tell you you have the wrong number > in my opinion this is confusing and not an acceptable excuse). I used track and trace to track it and it turns out they had had it a full week, sitting there doing nothing (took a personal call to their 0900 number to get them to verify it, at my cost. And i hate paying telecom anything more than i absolutely have to). They then told me that the board was 'damaged' via scratches and bent pins which in my experience is not easily done on modern hardware. I called shenannigans on that but they fervently denied a quick replacement and opted to send it to ASUS australia! Took the just under a MONTH to get it back to me!

And to top it off guess what? the new board is only doing THE EXACT SAME THING AS THE OTHER 2!!! 3 Boards in and ive been without a functioning pc for about 3 months or so! Im stuck on this horrible little ASUS Celeron D laptop (a freakin desktop chip) ive had to borrow with a hard drive with 80% fragmentation (cant reformat it for lack of permission and the Dfrag does nothing) which cant even play DOOM ffs!

Conclusion: They may do some good deals but avoid C1 Like the plague! Go see Ascent technology or somthing. They may charge a bit more but they actually value their cutomers.

Now that thats out of the way, the good retailers:

Modster PC - excellent - Great range of products and a helpfull owner, have dealt with Modster on a regular basis and id highly reccommend them. The owner has gone so far as to replace things without question such as a dead LED thumb screw, toasted inverters etc.

Legion Enterprises - excellent - Legion is the only E-Store owner i know who actually liases with his customers via Messenger clients. The store has a great range of awesome ACRyan product and SilenX fans at good prices. Legion also does some great deals on a range of stuffs. Getting somthing replaced was painless. All i had to do was Ask Legion if he could replace my Faulty ACRyan Fan (dropped a LED) and in less than a week, i had a brand new Fan installed and running flawlessly! The proccess was a far more persona and pleasant experiance than most RMA based processes.
    I have found c1 to be careless when it comes to RMAs but having 3 motherboards come back with the same problems just screams that its something else wrong with your PC.

19. Post
    Name: XtremeSystems

Experience: Very BAD!

I ordered a set of dual channel ram, and received 2 single channel rams even though I had paid more for the dual channel set. He very relucantly sent me the items after 3-4 weeks of harassing him. He does not answer his phone and replies to emails with single words.

NEVER use XtremeSystems!

20. Post
    Methotrexate wrote:
    Name: XtremeSystems

Experience: Very BAD!

I ordered a set of dual channel ram, and received 2 single channel rams even though I had paid more for the dual channel set. He very relucantly sent me the items after 3-4 weeks of harassing him. He does not answer his phone and replies to emails with single words.

NEVER use XtremeSystems!
    Ahh, the pleasures of dealing with Jimmy. I had to bully him once into selling me the products I had ordered. Needless to say I never bought from him again...

21. Post
    BBQ! wrote:
    Sorry to thread jack, but what exactly was the problem with your P5K-E? :confused:
    I have this nasty feeliing that its all BIOS related. The exact problem is that on power up, all fans spool, HDD spins up but the machine halts (borrowed some XMS2 PRO and its LED bats just come on solid on failed boot) it never initialises the Video hardware and the monitor remains in standby. it usuallt takes 3-4 attempts to get the machine to boot properly and even then, it will always ask that the BIOS is reset. Now, i tried all my components on a P5K Premium and all was fine, and yet 3 P5K-Es later they still wont work right. that Boards BIOS has been dodgey since release and with every new BIOS released by ASUS one thing gets fixed while another thing gets broken. The problem isnt that the board is faulty, its the length of time C1 take to actually ACT on the RMA. as i said, a month is not acceptable.

Its either that or the Board, despite is speicifcation, cant actually handle my hardware.

22. Post
    Retailer: Modster-pc
    Rating:10/10
    Total cost of purchase:$50(soon to be alot more)
    Comments:After looking at modster's site for a cooling solution i found there was so much to chose from, so i emailed them to ask witch would best suit me, well they couldn't be any more helpful! My parts were shipped straight away and i had my cooling the next day.

Ive just decided to purchase a new case, called steve from modster to ask if he could get me one in (pretty rare case) and it looks rather positive.

Bottom of the line, Awesome for cases's/cooling, Especially if you need advice!

23. Post
    +1 for PB Tech after sales support.

They are great for after sales support. I had problems with my CRT monitor, I bought the cheapest one I could find, I took it in about 3 weeks after buying it and the guy in there was awesome.

He re-arranged all my cables for me and tied them all together nicely, gave me advice about new cards and generally just a good chat. He had a lot of time to help me even though there were some other people waiting around. He tried 2 other CRT screens on my PC and then 2 LCD's and found that the monitor was faulty. Luckily it was a phillips monitor and still under warranty and I got a free LCD replacement delivered to my house within 1 week.

When I looked up the replacement on pricespy I found the replacement they gave me was worth $300+ more than the origional monitor i bought. So I think I got a pretty good deal in the end.

24. Post
    + many for Ascent

about 4,000+ over the times (2-3 years)

never had a bad story about them, any thing ive need replaced, has been forward replacement, and to my Rural Location within a few days.

i bought an LCD, and it came with two dead pixles. i rung them up the day i got it, they sent me a forward replacement, it arrived the next day. i sent it back, no worries whatsoever..

25. Post
    Thought I better sign up and give my two cents.

We already all knew that PCPacific were bad, so I'll share my horror story. Ordered a complete machine from them, got it all assembled and went to power it up only to discover... the PSU had failed in transit. Swapped out the PSU with a spare from under my workbench, still no go, the 8500GT was DOA too. VERY luckily I'd just upgraded the card in my machine, so I put my old 7600GS in and the set the machine up.

I tried and tried to get in touch with them regarding the RMA on the PSU and graphics card, after a week I got the details and what not, boxed it all up and sent it away.

Three weeks later, nothing had happened...

I tried calling, I tried emailing, nothing was working - eventually got through and got rather vocal with the little asian chap on the end of the phone and by the next Monday I had a box with a new power supply and... hmmmm...

The same bloody 8500GT.

Apparently it 'worked fine' when they tested it. I put it back in the customer's machine, still no go. I pondered that perhaps it was his P5K that didn't like it... so I tested it in my dual Opteron workstation. Bad idea... through whatever course of evil the 8500GT performed, it's damaged the nForce Pro chipset on my board, and now the machine is VERY twitchy about when it'll start up. It will no longer function with traditional PCI graphics cards either... so I have to run a bloody PCIe card, even though it's used as a game server.

I can't be bothered with them any longer. I had a few orders that I was going to give them, but that won't be happening any longer.

As for Sporb's run in with C1...

I've been observing the whole process. Apparently the P5K-E came in two forms, a green and the pearl black... according to a few sources, the green revisions had a few, shall we say, 'eccentricities' which are even more magnified when later BIOS revisions are used. Sadly, Sporb's board is the green kind. Since day one it's misbehaved. First the power management system was misbehaving, a BIOS flash fixed that but then problems started occuring where the board called bad overclock when all the OC settings were on full stock default.

The board went back, eventually board 2 arrived. It was fully DOA, and they claimed it was 'improper installation'. Apparently some of the pogo pins in the CPU socket were bent?! Total crap and they know it. Board 3 arrived considerably later and is equally terrible. After being asked if they'd consider taking the board back for a refund or replacing the board with some extra money for a higher (and more reliable) model, they have gone silent.

Equally terrible experience with them.

On the upside, another +1 for TasTech - all orders from them have gone off without a hitch, and they do a pearler RMA service, prompt and efficient.