1. Post
    Spidey wrote:
    Computer cycles are currently between one and one and a half years.
    So if you want to play everything on high thats what you'll be looking at. If you are looking for medium then 2 cycles.
    ^pretty much.

2. Post
    DO the 8800GT/GTS Have Tv Out etc, or will i need an extra TV TUNER card?

Also whats better two lower spec Cards in SLI/XFIRE or one higher spec card?

eg 2x384mb(?) vs 1x512mb

3. Post
    Generally one higher spec card is better. When SLI or corssfire is used the available video memory isn't doubled, its still only the amount of a single card.

4. Post
    BBQ! wrote:
    Generally one higher spec card is better. When SLI or corssfire is used the available video memory isn't doubled, its still only the amount of a single card.
    Indeed, but dual 3850's is the best ATI solution for ~$600.

5. Post
    Whats the Point of SLI/XFIRE then? Redundancy?

6. Post
    Android Grim wrote:
    Whats the Point of SLI/XFIRE then? Redundancy?
    No its so you can process textures faster. 2 is better then 1.

7. Post
    The most unbiased review that I've seen on SLI vs. Crossfire, which was benchmarked across about 9 or 10 modern games at resolutions of 1680x1050 to 2560x1536 with moderate AA/AF, showed an average FPS increase of about 40% for Crossfire and 30% for SLI.

In other words, Crossfiring ATI cards will give you roughly 40% more frames per second at those resolutions, and SLI'ing Nvidia cards will give you about 30% more.

The obvious question this poses is - is it worth the 100% extra cost to crossfire/sli? And it's a good question, too. It's called the diminishing rate of return. When you compare a $350 card to a $700 card, what performance increase do you get? These days, it's very rarely 100% is it?

When the performance increase drops to around 30 - 40%, then this is where Crossfire/SLI actually starts to pay dividends, and this is usually only in the upper-end of cards, i.e. there's no point Crossfiring two $150 256mb 2600XT cards, becuase one $240 256mb 3850 will perform better, but Crossfiring two $315 512mb 3850's makes sense because there's no single card under $630 that will perform better (at higher resolutions at least, and particularly when just comparing ATI cards. The $480 512mb 8800GTS can probably hold it's own against this kind of setup in a few different situations).

8. Post
    Q9450s arent out yet are they? still a couple more weeks

im waiting on one to upgrade my E6400

9. Post
    marine wrote:
    Q9450s arent out yet are they? still a couple more weeks

im waiting on one to upgrade my E6400
    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_12144.html

yea they're out; quite a few retailers got them. Pretty mint CPU's but still on the expensive side ;o

10. Post
    Hey Pablo,

With the $1500 setup, is that the exact specs (mobo type/ram type) that is needed to OC to 4ghz?

and what cooler is expected for $80?

Thx mate

11. Post
    Corruptfacta wrote:
    Hey Pablo,

With the $1500 setup, is that the exact specs (mobo type/ram type) that is needed to OC to 4ghz?

and what cooler is expected for $80?

Thx mate
    Yip, although nothing is ever garaunteed when overclocked.

$80 coolers would be either Tuniq Tower 120 or GeminII.

12. Post
    With the $1500 Intel setup, would that be enough power to run a blue ray drive?

13. Post
    Anyone want to make 3dmark estimates on those systems?

14. Post
    Hey thanks pablo, awesome idea to stick everything together in that format . I love it man

15. Post
    Cheers for the post... more or less what I was planning on anyway - going with ~the $1500 build, but have been looking at going a bit larger on the ram. Not a big over-clocker, but as the rig gets older I will start to push things a bit more.

Was looking at going for:
    SuperTalent 4GB DDR2-800 PC6400 5-5-5-15 2x2GB ($159.24 @ Computer Lounge)
    G.SKILL 4GB kit DDR2-800 PC6400 CL5-5-5-15 MEMORY 2GB x 2 ($185.51 @ PcPacific or OCZone)

Could get Crucial CL4 4200, however because of the faster clock speed the G.SKILL/SuperTalent would (more often than not) be faster?
    Any advice on what I should be looking for in a 4GB kit? Or should I not bother, since I plan to keep away from 64-bit (for now at least).

And finally, with the mobo having 7.1 on-board sound, I was looking for a case that would let me use it - most I have looked at so far (both online, and in a couple of local shops) don't seem to accommodate. Any suggestions on this front?
    I do have an old Sound Blaster Audigy card I could slot in... but I would probably be better off running my 5.1 from the on-board

Thanks

16. Post
    Stick to the 2x1GB as DDR3 may be mainstream by the time you decide on upgrading to 64-bit (unless you want to keep your setup as I wouldn't be surprised if DDR2 goes up in price to make way). 2x1GB will overclock better then 2x2GB as well so you will have better performance.

How so with the sound? Do you mean 7.1 on the front of the case?

17. Post
    the $1500 setup is $50 shy so could state to get a thermalright heat sink or you shall be getting many more questions of what heat sink to get :P

18. Post
    Nah, 7.1 out the back. Mobo has it, but all I've seen is cases that have 2 sound jacks at the back (speakers + mic) - to be fair, a lot don't have it listed online, but not sure how I'd go about getting my sound from mobo -> speakers if the case only has holes for 2 of the 5 jacks.

Unless I resort to taking a drill to the back of the case, adding some holes myself, and putting the jacks in.

The Enermax Chakra looks decent (C1 linky) as it should provide some reasonable air flow, but am hesitant to buy it without being able to pick it up, look at it, turn it round, etc.

19. Post
    Moeziz wrote:
    Nah, 7.1 out the back. Mobo has it, but all I've seen is cases that have 2 sound jacks at the back (speakers + mic) - to be fair, a lot don't have it listed online, but not sure how I'd go about getting my sound from mobo -> speakers if the case only has holes for 2 of the 5 jacks.

Unless I resort to taking a drill to the back of the case, adding some holes myself, and putting the jacks in.

The Enermax Chakra looks decent (C1 linky) as it should provide some reasonable air flow, but am hesitant to buy it without being able to pick it up, look at it, turn it round, etc.
    Didn't your motherboard come with a back plate (not sure if that is what it is actually called) for your case? I thought most motherboards came with the back plate so that it fits all of the input/outputs for your particular motherboard.

20. Post
    Yeah the motherboard comes with the I/O Plate. The case will have a slot to put this in:

21. Post
    Haha, cheers guys, showing what a noob I am.

Last time "I" built a PC a obviously had a little bit too much help!

22. Post
    Wow pablo, you've really outdone yourself with this thread. It's amazing!

23. Post
    For the $500 build - can the M2N-MX SE actually overclock? e.g. options in bios

24. Post
    Kazuya S wrote:
    For the $500 build - can the M2N-MX SE actually overclock? e.g. options in bios
    The M2N-MX has overclocking options. The SE version does not.

25. Post
    thx for the comments guyz