Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 4027

1. Post
    Both are decent for the money IMO. Bang for buck, the $1499 probably has it, as the GPU's are quite similar performance wise. So you're paying for the extra SSD space and faster memory. Can't go wrong with either build.

Hmmm they are both showing up as $1499 for me now. I'd be jumping on this one for sure:
    https://www.playtech.co.nz/desktop-p...gaming-pc.html
    I'd be locking one down ASAP. When you look at what other systems you get for $1500, they don't compare. Hopefully not a pricing error.

2. Post
    I asked about the specs on that one and they said they had one more they were looking to move so would drop it to $1499 if I purchased today. So literally just pulled the trigger. Thanks for your help it seems like a great deal.

3. Post
    Great score!

4. Post
    Similar inquiry to the last couple of posters. Currently using a 5 year old MSI laptop for everything. Want to get a new desktop for gaming. Only really playing a little bit of DOTA right now because my laptop can't handle much more. I'll probably play some BF5 and flight sims once I get a new PC. Don't need monitors or keyboard/mouse. I can get them cheap through work. Also don't want to build myself because I don't know how. Will probably go with dual monitors if that makes any difference. I'm thinking around 2k all up, but if I can get a good quality build for less that would be ideal.

I asked a friend for a bit of an idea and he gave me this list. https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/cvj...7mTMCRDv6Jm0ME

Again I don't want to build it because A. I don't know how and B. if I get it built or buy a pre built one then it will have some sort of warranty.

Any help appreciated.

I browsed through some off the shelf builds on computer lounge (I think). But I've never really had much of an idea of hardware and what I should be looking for. If there's a good off the shelf deal then I'd be happy with that.

5. Post
    Hate to say it... but wait for Zen 2.

If you can't wait, avoid that processor, 6 cores might be fine today, it won't be tomorrow. IMO. For the same money (processor wise) you can likely get 8 cores 16 threads with AMD. Will have a look at current prebuilts and post some up.

edit: can't seen any decent specials on the go at the moment. What you can do is approach a couple of companies, say Computer Lounge and Playtech, and ask them to spec you a build for your budget and usage. See what they come back with. Assuming you're based up that way.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 24th April 2019 at 2:17 pm.

6. Post
    Cheers for the reply. So you don't reckon the processor is future proof enough?
    Any critique of the other components? I just noticed there's only a 512GB SSD on the list. I'll need another HDD for storage.
    Most systems I've looked at so far all seem to have 16GB RAM so I assume that's enough?
    Graphics card? I really don't know enough about them, is this one adequate?

7. Post
    Yeah my view is that 6 cores is fine now, but if I was building today i'd aim for 8 cores. 8 cores 16 threads would be nice. I currently use a Ryzen 1600, which is 6 core 12 thread. I turned the "extra threads" off and ran it as 6 cores for a test, it sat at 100% usage (gaming). With 12 threads enabled it sits often at like 70%. My system is GPU limited however, but I was quite surprised the system maxed out with only 6 cores.

With a mid range system, the GPU is going to be the limiting factor. Therefore i'd go for a AMD chip, something along the lines of a 2600x (if buying now that is, I personally would wait and see what comes out in a couple months).

16GB is the sweet spot. If you can get 3200mhz memory, if going AMD path, then that would be good. Graphics card will totally come down to what budget is left. HDD are cheap, 512GB will be fine for windows and a few games. Put anything else on a HDD, I only use SSD, but budget won't always allow that. Avoid a system that has 8GB of ram, quite a few still do.

GPU choice will come down to screen choice. What are you aiming to use? Resolution and refresh rate?
    I don't keep an eye on GPU pricing in the mid range. However, the 1660Ti which has recently released seems like a good value option. I'm not sure how pricing compares 1660Ti vs 2060. But I do consider the RTX cores a waste of time on something like the 2060, so would probably look at the 1660ti if going bang for buck.

8. Post
    Oh man you've thrown another spanner in the works haha. Didn't realise I had to think about resolution and refresh rates.

9. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Yeah my view is that 6 cores is fine now, but if I was building today i'd aim for 8 cores. 8 cores 16 threads would be nice. I currently use a Ryzen 1600, which is 6 core 12 thread. I turned the "extra threads" off and ran it as 6 cores for a test, it sat at 100% usage (gaming). With 12 threads enabled it sits often at like 70%. My system is GPU limited however, but I was quite surprised the system maxed out with only 6 cores.

With a mid range system, the GPU is going to be the limiting factor. Therefore i'd go for a AMD chip, something along the lines of a 2600x (if buying now that is, I personally would wait and see what comes out in a couple months).

16GB is the sweet spot. If you can get 3200mhz memory, if going AMD path, then that would be good. Graphics card will totally come down to what budget is left. HDD are cheap, 512GB will be fine for windows and a few games. Put anything else on a HDD, I only use SSD, but budget won't always allow that. Avoid a system that has 8GB of ram, quite a few still do.

GPU choice will come down to screen choice. What are you aiming to use? Resolution and refresh rate?
    I don't keep an eye on GPU pricing in the mid range. However, the 1660Ti which has recently released seems like a good value option. I'm not sure how pricing compares 1660Ti vs 2060. But I do consider the RTX cores a waste of time on something like the 2060, so would probably look at the 1660ti if going bang for buck.
    This is a great post for how the current market is.

Got my case on Easter special, now just saving and waiting for Zen 2

10. Post
    Can anyone suggest the best bang for buck upgrade on CPU and Mobo.

Current specs below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	specs.png 
Views:	247 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	226067

Also if anyone is generous enough to give me a current sale price of current CPU mobo?

11. Post
    New parts hopefully announced in a few weeks, i'd just wait.

12. Post
    Fragluton wrote:

Great post, I was looking at the 2600X for my build, but seeing some leaks on the Zen2 it looks like the price point may stay the same but give more cores and higher clock speed, so I am going to wait, unless I see a 2600X around $200 on trade Me, then I will build it up with an X470 mobo and wait for the new processors and replace it when I can afford it, or when I need it.

Can anyone answer, in the real world how much does a 2400mhz vs 3200mhz ram make? I'll be playing VR games mostly so CPU and GPU intensive work. I won't be benchmarking or anything like that so will it make a real difference?

My OS is on an SSD (will swap to NVME drive at some point) and the games are all on another SSD.

13. Post
    Have a look on YouTube, lots of gaming comparisons done. Ryzen hardware does like faster memory, in general.

14. Post
    Thanks for this, I found a few videos that explained it well.

Definitely worth going for faster ram, the only issue now is the latency! Most sets are 16-16-16-3* but the reviews said to go for 14-14-14-3*

The problem there is $250 vs $450 for 2 x 8GB sticks! FML why is it all so hard!

15. Post
    CL 14 will be Samsung B-Die which costs quite a bit more.
    You dont need to go that far as long as you are hitting CL16 and 3200 it will work just fine, not worth the extra cost unless you dont have a budget or are really pushing a heavy OC.
    Last edited by Siris Le Osiris; 16th May 2019 at 12:54 pm.

16. Post
    ^^That, 3200 CL16 will be perfectly adequate. Lowest latency stuff is bad value for sure and not worth it.

17. Post
    Going to be funny when OP is all AMD for the first time in forever.

18. Post
    My current computer is like really old 10years, a old INTEL P5Q-PRO 2.8ghz 4gig ram yes really old, it's done me justice over the years but now it's gotten to the point i could make a cup of tea drink it and windows is still loading.

I cant play any modern games and Warcraft its my goto game sadly with BFA(new wow expansion) my old boy cant compete even with every setting set on low it still takes 4 mins to load the game and about 2 mins to load in NPC's (GFX is the newest thing in it and its old Radeon R7 250) so im looking a filler computer so i can gather more funds to spend on a beast at later stage or buy a cheap computer and upgrade as i go along, in the meantime i've seen these 2 on trade me i'm looking locally, Just want some insight what what one i could like upgrade instead buying a whole new machine if it comes to that stage.

CHeers

https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...2178820691.htm

and

https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...13d9e1dbae-002

19. Post
    both of those processors are pretty old, first link cpu came out in like 2011, its still pretty solid but kinda hard to upgrade it without replacing ram, cpu, motherboard (pretty much a whole system)

20. Post
    What is the budget?

I'd probably wait till the new AMD chips are out, people will be upgrading and you'll be able to get something MUCH newer second hand for good money. The systems you linked will be dead end machines, with no decent upgrade paths.

There is this recent build:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/5...ild-for-my-6yo

Which shows what you can get at the lower price end. If you went for similar, and add in a video card, you would be doing alright.

21. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    What is the budget?

I'd probably wait till the new AMD chips are out, people will be upgrading and you'll be able to get something MUCH newer second hand for good money. The systems you linked will be dead end machines, with no decent upgrade paths.

There is this recent build:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/5...ild-for-my-6yo

Which shows what you can get at the lower price end. If you went for similar, and add in a video card, you would be doing alright.
    About 1000 atm I just want a filler that could be upgradable in the future.

22. Post
    If going new, and wanting something now, i'd look at this sort of thing*

Good base system, with capacity to add in a newer CPU at later date. By the time that is needed though, you'll likely just upgrade the whole box again.

No video card included in this build, save up and buy a new one at a later stage. Put all the money in the base components as video card is easy to slot in at later date. Run current video card till then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playtech.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	226285

* notes:
    PSU - random pick, good brand so should be fine
    CASE - random pick, do own research as to what has good / bad cooling design
    Windows OS - add that to the price if you don't have a copy of Windows 10.
    Based on building it yourself, if not keen on that, allow for that priced on top

All parts chosen based on price limit.

You could easily give those specs to a couple of shops and see what sort of deal they can do as a package. Playtech / Computer Lounge / others

23. Post
    Cheers for that list, will shop around ive used CL in the past and they are pretty good and helpful same as playtech.

24. Post
    Yeah I used Playtech site for example as they tend to sell a larger range of brands of some products. CL only seem to sell two brands of memory, which limits lower budget options. Both companies will be able to put together a package with good bits.

25. Post
    Suggestions for an upgrade on my PC?

Currently have a FX8320, 16gb ddr 3, and a 1060 6gb.

Looking at a Ryzen 2600, MSI B450M Mortar Titanium and I'm not sure on what 16gb kit to get. Having the ability for a stable overclock would be nice, while still on the cheap.

Thoughts..

Or is there something better coming out that will drive down prices, so I should wait it out?
    Last edited by Pxndx; 9th June 2019 at 11:58 pm.