Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 3978

1. Post
    Eldon wrote:
    So I asked a while ago if it's a good time to build a completely new rig - at the time people said wait out - so I did.

How's it going now - Money isn't really a limit, and I just want something that is going to have some longevity and will play most of my VR titles as best as possible (as the rift can be a hog).
    People are still going to tell you to wait now. For next gen Nvidia or the new AMD CPU/GPU series.

If you have the money now just get the best system you can with it dude.

2. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    People are still going to tell you to wait now. For next gen Nvidia or the new AMD CPU/GPU series.
    He hasn't asked for value, just the best, so nows good IMO.

AMD's new GPUs can be ignored and I'll be surprised if Nvidia bring out a new GPU for another couple years at least - the RTX 2080 Ti is king for the foreseeable future.

All leaks point to Ryzen 3 being on par multithreaded with the 9900K but will likely still be at least marginally behind on single threaded performance and OC.

Now is as good a time as any to drop stupid amounts on a PC IMO - new products with new tech have been recently released and we know what's coming up won't beat it outright (again we aren't talking value, power or heat - just outright performance).

The only argument for waiting is for value conscious buyers.

3. Post
    If you want a possible CPU upgrade path, go AMD.

My pick is Ryzen 3000 beating out anything Intel will have on the market. Depends what resolution you game at too, 4k you may as well go 2700x. If 1080P then 9900k/8700k if you need the best, no matter the cost and related costs needed to keep it cool.

4. Post
    iRoN wrote:
    He hasn't asked for value, just the best, so nows good IMO.

AMD's new GPUs can be ignored and I'll be surprised if Nvidia bring out a new GPU for another couple years at least - the RTX 2080 Ti is king for the foreseeable future.

All leaks point to Ryzen 3 being on par multithreaded with the 9900K but will likely still be at least marginally behind on single threaded performance and OC.

Now is as good a time as any to drop stupid amounts on a PC IMO - new products with new tech have been recently released and we know what's coming up won't beat it outright (again we aren't talking value, power or heat - just outright performance).

The only argument for waiting is for value conscious buyers.
    I wasn't suggesting he wait, was telling him what to expect because many people on these forums think waiting forever is the best way to spend their money :/

I say buy now and enjoy your purchase sooner.

5. Post
    Thanks to all for advice - I'm definitely going to need more around the build itself but I'm excited and probably going to start putting this together.

6. Post
    Eldon wrote:
    Thanks to all for advice - I'm definitely going to need more around the build itself but I'm excited and probably going to start putting this together.
    Ballpark or budget ceiling would be a good start

Which type of games do you play? What resolution do you want to run? Do you need a new monitor for that matter? The more you tell the better advice you'll get.

7. Post
    WhangaDan wrote:
    Ballpark or budget ceiling would be a good start

Which type of games do you play? What resolution do you want to run? Do you need a new monitor for that matter? The more you tell the better advice you'll get.
    Hey - in terms of res I'm not sure and will take advice (no idea on advantages of 4k versus 1440p for gaming). Top-end 5-6k ideally but negotiable. In terms of games - basically should be able to play anything on max, and last a couple of years before next upgrade: I currently play a bunch of VR things, but also Rust, Post-Scriptum, Elite Dangerous, and a bunch of other titles.

Will probably need a new monitor along with everything else.

Hope that helps, but would love some advice here - preferably with the exact component you'd buy.

8. Post
    Considering your budget and not knowing between 4K and 1440p (or ultrawide ) check out the thread I created for a friend. His budget is the same as yours. It might give you some ideas.

https://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/5...luding-monitor

There are some really great suggestions in there.

9. Post
    Thanks I had a look at that thread - ideally I want 4k at 60FPS on most first-person shooter titles (think Rainbow Six Siege, Squad, Battlefield, Elite Dangerous, Rust etc). That's hard to achieve I know, but I'd rather have more and have to drop res down to 1440p or 1080p rather than not have it. If I'm going to do this, I'd like to try to 4k - however I do like twitch shooters and I am frame-rate sensitive, so if it's impossible to get that smooth feeling with 4k I'd take advice busting me back to 1440p or something.

My current monitor is a:
    QNIX QX2710 27" 2560x1440 QHD 16:9. Ideally I wouldn't want anything smaller but this size seems to suit pretty well (i'm flexible on size).

If anyone has ideas on what I'd need to make this feasible along with practical advice like 1080 versus 2080 etc etc I'd appreciate it. I need to start finding suitable parts - and would love to shortcut some of the knowledge otherwise it's a LOT of googling that's coming my way.

If I'm reading this right though:
    Nvidia GPU - probably 2080.
    AMD CPU - 2700x if 4k. 9900k/8700k if 1080p.

Still need:
    Mobo:
    Ram:
    Monitor: If 4k dunno. If 1440p then this was recommended LG 32GK850G 32" NVIDIA G-SYNC Gaming Monitor , 2560X1440 , 144Hz , Display Port 1.2 + HDMI 1.4 ,
    Case
    Cooling
    PSU
    Anything else?

Oculus forum recommended this advice:
    As far as GPU is concerned just make sure you get a 2070, 2080, or 2080ti. And for AMD a Vega 56, 64, or Radeon 7.
    You definitely want at least 8gb vram. You can get by on less but the most demanding titles will eat Vram for breakfast.
    CPU wise Intel comes out on top for gaming though I'm not sure that applies to VR. Both will deliver a playable VR experience. A Ryzen 2600 or 2600x or Core 85 8400 or 9600k is all you need. A core i7 or Ryzen 7 is ok too if you want to drop a lot of money lol.
    If you get a Ryzen make sure you get DDR4 3000 or 3200 ram. And on either system get 16gb as 2x8gb.
    Last edited by Eldon; 30th January 2019 at 6:31 pm.

10. Post
    Have made a first attempt at a build.

Things I'm interested in are:
    Would this run 4k at a reasonable Hz and refresh rate if I got a 4k monitor (to be honest, I couldn't find a 4k monitor that wasn't over $3000 so would be keen for advice here). Otherwise I'll stick at 1440p. What parts should I change out anyway? Have I got a reasonable build here?

Otherwise there is an out of the box pre-made option such as:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKS...yzen-7-2700X-8

Or (currently out of stock):
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKS...8th-Gen-Core-i

Or some interesting $1500 and $2000 (US) builds on Toms:
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ilds,4390.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First Attempt.PNG 
Views:	71 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	224902
    Last edited by Eldon; 30th January 2019 at 9:18 pm.

11. Post
    Something closer to this, which was posted in that other thread:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/attachmen...4&d=1548024384
    Swap in a 2080Ti and go from there, if going 1440P screen though, the 2080 might be enough. Check reviews of the card to see gaming performance at 1440P.

12. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Something closer to this, which was posted in that other thread:
    https://www.gpforums.co.nz/attachmen...4&d=1548024384
    Swap in a 2080Ti and go from there, if going 1440P screen though, the 2080 might be enough. Check reviews of the card to see gaming performance at 1440P.
    Hey Frag, I simulated most of that build and subbed out the cooler, can you advise on this build please?

Name:	Second Attempt.PNG 
Views:	122 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	224903

13. Post
    That's a solid build IMO.

A good video which shows that 8700k or 2700X give around the same performance @ 1440P with a 1080Ti, which is close enough to a 2080 to compare. Which makes buying the 2700X a good choice IMO.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVnCCMI--Bo

14. Post
    Got it all assembled thanks guys - got a bigger cooler, RAM/Mobo were out of stock so subbed them out - but otherwise pretty much the same. Still need an HDD (got the SSD sorted) so if anyone has a recommendation.

15. Post
    Depends what the HDD is for, I only use SSD in my system. Would only use one for storage, so perhaps green or blue Western Digital. For games, stick with SSD, they aren't badly priced.

16. Post
    I get wd reds for my backup drives, much quieter than blacks and I've seen comparible speeds.

But yeah if its for actually playing games off get another ssd.

17. Post
    Can anyone recommend a good SSD (or deal) on then. My main drive is a 1TB NVME and tbh I've already filled it up within a day.

18. Post
    Don't have junk on your NVME, put that on another HDD or SSD, something like a Samsung Evo of some description, or Crucial something, or Sandisk ultra / plus. Stick to decent brands and it doesn't really matter which you get.

19. Post
    I just put together the following
    Ryzen 2600
    Noctua D14 (second hand)
    MSI Mortar B450
    Hyperx 2x8GB 3200mhz CL16
    Samsung 256GB SSD (need more space though)
    Asus Strix RX580 8GB - second hand from a miner, temps where hitting 86deg just gaming, I repasted it with Noctua Paste and dropped a minimum of 22 degs off max load - now 64deg is the absolute max I hit
    Be Quiet! 650w Straight power 11 - completely silent psu!
    Fractial Meshy C case
    25" AOC 1080p 144hz

All that put together for a crazy cheap price, getting second hand Cooler and GPU helped keep costs down a touch.

The idea is to upgrade to a 3600x Ryzen when they are released mid this year. I went with the Mortar as it has great VRM's so will handle 8 cores fine. Also possible GPU upgrade late this year

20. Post
    Eldon wrote:
    Hey Frag, I simulated most of that build and subbed out the cooler, can you advise on this build please?

Name:	Second Attempt.PNG 
Views:	122 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	224903
    Eldon wrote:
    Got it all assembled thanks guys - got a bigger cooler, RAM/Mobo were out of stock so subbed them out - but otherwise pretty much the same. Still need an HDD (got the SSD sorted) so if anyone has a recommendation.
    Which cooler did you get? Did you stick with water cooling or larger heatsink/fan?

I am looking at build options to get very soon, and haven't used watercooling before but seems like a good option these days with the kits available.

21. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Which cooler did you get? Did you stick with water cooling or larger heatsink/fan?

I am looking at build options to get very soon, and haven't used watercooling before but seems like a good option these days with the kits available.
    Got the Corsair Hydro H150i Pro (360mm?) I think - it's an all in one. Installed the 3 fans that came with it.

22. Post
    Eldon wrote:
    Got the Corsair Hydro H150i Pro (360mm?) I think - it's an all in one. Installed the 3 fans that came with it.
    Nice. I had a browse through some.

Any issues or tips installing it?

23. Post
    Ard Righ wrote:
    Nice. I had a browse through some.

Any issues or tips installing it?
    Helps putting it to the right controllers on the mobo lol. I have to swap it around with some case fans. I got a hand from a mate for some of it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

24. Post
    pablo d wrote:
    Last Updated: 17 Aug 2018

Here are some rough lists to give you a starting point for your PC builds. These builds are focused on gaming. If you also need to do some video editing work, run VMs, CAD, etc, or something that might require changes, post a comment and someone should help you out. Mass storage is defaulted to 1TB, add a bigger drive if you need it. Also consider removing the HDD and upsize/add and SSD instead if you're not a big data user.

I've opted not to include really high end systems as those people also tend to have more specific needs so a 'generic' build isn't particularly useful. If you're not sure where to start or just want a double check, drop a post.

The PC’s take into account prices from a variety of stores. If you want to buy exclusively from one store, you may have to tweak the parts a little to find suitable ones, and the overall cost may go up a little. Most prices will include shipping. You can use Pricespy to help find the best prices on products.

Cases are personal preference, so I've just popped some generic ones on. Find something you like.

$650:
    CPU : Ryzen 2200G - $160
    Mobo : A320M motherboard - $100
    RAM : 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz+ (faster is even better if it's not much more) - $160
    HDD : 1TB Barracuda/Blue - $80
    GPU : (Ryzen iGPU)
    PSU : Corsair VS450 V3 - $70
    Case : Silverstone PS09B - $60

$750:
    CPU : Ryzen 2400G - $250
    Mobo : A320M motherboard - $100
    RAM : 2x4GB DDR4 3000MHz+ - $180
    GPU : (Ryzen iGPU)

Note: With both Ryzen APU systems. Consider adding a better PSU, e.g. CX550, to allow for a GPU upgrade in future. The iGPU is surprisingly decent, but it's still far from mid-low end dedicated cards. A B350 or B450 motherboard would also give more upgrade options for another ~$30.

$800:
    CPU : Peniutm G4560 - $90
    Mobo : B250M motherboard - $100
    RAM : 2x4GB DDR4 - $160
    GPU : GTX1050 - $230

Pentium/1050 vs 2400G: Pentium based system will be superior as is, but the 2400G system is a better platform for adding to in future.

$1000:
    CPU : Ryzen 2200G - $150
    Mobo : B450M motherboard - $130
    GPU : GTX1050Ti - $300
    PSU : Corsair CX450/550 - $100

$1300:
    CPU : Ryzen 2600 - $270
    SSD : ~250GB SSD - $80
    GPU : GTX1060 3GB - $400
    PSU : Corsair CX450/550 - $100
    Case : Thermaltake H17 - $80

$1500:
    SSD : ~500GB SSD - $150
    GPU : GTX1060 6GB OR RX580 8GB - $500
    PSU : Antec Earthwatts 550W - $120

$1500 (Intel):
    CPU : i5 8400 - $290
    Mobo : B360M motherboard - $150
    GPU : GTX1060 6GB OR RX580 8GB - $500
    PSU : Antec Earthwatts 550W - $120

$2000:
    Mobo : B350M motherboard - $130
    RAM : 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz - $300
    GPU : GTX1070 - $650
    PSU : Corsair RM550X - $170
    Case : Fractal Define Mini C - $180

$2200:
    CPU : i5 8600K - $380
    CPU Cooler: Cryorig H5 - $90
    Mobo : Z370M motherboard - $220
    GPU : GTX1070 - $650

$2500:
    CPU : i5 8600K - $380
    CPU Cooler: Cryorig H5 - $90
    Mobo : Z370M motherboard - $220
    SSD : 1TB MX500 - $330
    GPU : GTX1080 - $850

-WoM
    Im looking at this build, (see image attached)
    I have never built a PC before so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have a budget of $2200 so keeping it as close as possible to this is my goal. I aim to upgrade monitor down the track and am not going for the mouse n keyboard on quote. oh and im going to assemble myself.

thanks in advance.

Attached Images

25. Post
    I'd go AMD 2600X CPU, and spend the change on better GPU. GTX1660 (or whatever it is) is releasing soon I think, could probably grab one of those. Which will give better performance overall than the above build.