GP suggests PC builds

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 4159

1. Post
    Not really much you can do to make that cheaper. Only place left to actually cut cost is on the PSU. If you don't actually need to cut the cost down, what you have there is fine. Not if wanting new parts anyway.

2. Post
    OK,I will stick wkth the EVGA G2 for upgradeability.

3. Post
    CX450 PSU - nowhere near as good as the G2, but still great for a budget unit, much better than that Bequiet one. You could go for a TX550M if you want somewhat cheaper but still great quality.
    A320 motherboard - a lot more limited, but might still have everything you need.
    Cheaper 2400/2666MHz RAM.
    Cheaper SSD.

Definitely room to make a few wee savings here and there (with sacrifices of course). Depends how much you're wanting to knock off the total.

4. Post
    I have made a few tweaks. As for the SSD, should I go for a smaller 600p or similar M.2 or go with a 2.5'' form?
    https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/mmMDbj

5. Post
    What is this one like? Seems to be a good price.
    https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/product/...ve-wds240g1g0b

6. Post
    I wouldn't go smaller. You'll half the size for the sake of saving $30-40. I'd look at something like that green one you've linked. 2.5" vs M.2 doesn't really matter with lower end stuff. They'll both run at the same speed since they run over SATA anyway.

You'd have to look up some benchmarks to see how much they differ, and keep in mind noticeable real world improvements won't be as big as the numbers shows in storage intensive benchmarks. The 600P is a quick drive though, given how cheap they're starting to get they're certainly compelling if you don't mind the wee bit extra spent.

7. Post
    Will go with the WD green then, doesn't need to be super fast, just a bit better than a HDD

8. Post
    Can one of you clever folks have a quick look at this and offer any suggestions of replacements or if these particular parts are bad etc. Thanks, love you.

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/PV9HvV
    John D. Rockefeller award for philanthropic wanks

9. Post
    I'd probably spend a bit less on the mobo and use the difference to get a Ryzen 1600.

10. Post
    What GPU are you going to run?

+1 on going for a 1600 though. You could even just drop the RGB memory and get some "normal" memory and the 1600 won't cost any more overall. If the RGB is a must, then up your budget to get the 1600 anyway. Looks like $25 for 2 more cores / 4 more threads, no brainer.

That SSD is also pretty spendy, you can easily save $100 buy getting a different one. Double check it fits your board etc, but there is this: https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/com...p?partid=27574 Not quite as fast, but $100 saving is good. Unless you're into benchmarking results, you won't notice the speed difference between the two, to make it worth $100 (if at all noticable). Longer warranty on Intel too. I'm not that into M.2, but is that compatible with that board? NVMe?
    Last edited by Fragluton; 16th January 2018 at 5:44 pm.

11. Post
    +2 for the 1600. Also what GPU? If this be cutting into GPU budget you could lower spec the mobo and SSD.

12. Post
    Hrmm, thanks for the help guys. Does this make more sense?

Also, I have a Radeon R9 280X. Which runs fine, the only problem is my lack of ram, 2x core cpu, old mobo and old hdd. My plan is to update everything but the GPU then save for a new one afterwards. Since GPUs are quite expensive atm.

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/RY7DLD

13. Post
    Scatter_D wrote:
    Hrmm, thanks for the help guys. Does this make more sense?

Also, I have a Radeon R9 280X. Which runs fine, the only problem is my lack of ram, 2x core cpu, old mobo and old hdd. My plan is to update everything but the GPU then save for a new one afterwards. Since GPUs are quite expensive atm.

https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/RY7DLD
    https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/yncKPs

faster ram and and a bigger SSD for $20

14. Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I was mainly using computer lounge since I've used them heaps before and they've always been great, not sure about those other suppliers heh.

-e- Wait, how is that mobo better and cheaper than the other one... man computer parts confuse me.

15. Post
    Better? Haven't looked deep, but they probably have the same features (you can compare specs easily). I've never had ASRock, and my current MSI is my first, so I don't really have experience with either. Just try and find reviews for each board perhaps.

16. Post
    As far as I am aware, ASRock's are generally pretty good. I've had one in my PC for the last four years, never missed a beat. From the reviews I've seen they are considered to be pretty solid, especially in the mid-range of the market.

I'd be worried about that R9 280X, though. I put a Gigabyte 280X in my fiance's computer and an Asus Direct-CU II 280X in mine when we bought new computers in December 2013, and the Asus died 18 months ago and I've just replaced the Gigabyte one since it was on the way out too. We weren't particularly hard on the cards either.

17. Post
    What's a good bang for buck price point at the moment? I need a desktop to free up my laptop for work. Was thinking of going all in on VR but think I'll save my money for gen 2.

Main uses will be basic multitasking work nonsense over two monitors (1080p, 1440p), very light photo editing (mostly lightroom), and maybe some casual gaming if I have the time (not even sure what's popular these days). A reasonable case and PSU would be good so I can upgrade in a year or whenever.
    Budget is $2500 but more than happy to keep half of that.

edit:
    Actually, looking at Stingray's build above that seems like it would suit my needs. I will need a case though. Are 1050TI's advisable over 1060's?
    Last edited by Boreas; 18th January 2018 at 8:41 pm.

18. Post
    For what you're after something loosely along the lines of:

• Ryzen 1200/1400
    • B350 board
    • 8/16GB DDR4 - 8GB mighty be passable, it depends to what extent you're multitasking.
    • 240GB+ SSD
    • HDD(s) as required
    • 1050Ti - you could get a 1060 3GB, but for a bit of casual gaming (assuming indie titles, slightly older games, or you don't mind turning graphics down a bit) the 1050Ti is fine.
    • TX550M, G2 550W, G3 550W or RM550x. In order or worst to best. All are good units that'll handle more powerful kit when you want to go in big for a VR setup.
    • Case of choice.

19. Post
    Friend is looking to build a pc for a mixture of graphics/web design work and some random gaming. Budget is around $1k. PBTech with stock in wellington (or dispatched in 1 working day).

This is what hes looking at currently:

Any suggestions?

20. Post
    I'm trying to price a PC for my brother after looking at his current one and concluding it was dead.
    Seems like he plays a lot of Diablo 3 and Dead by Daylight.
    He's a university student and his budget is "as little as possible".
    He has a monitor already, and a terrible mouse and keyboard.

Built my pc with recommendations from here couple of years ago, I'm a bit out of date again. People like AMD now, it seems.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

21. Post
    Is that the max budget? Only thing i'd try squeeze more money into would be 16GB of memory, dual channel setup does have some improvement over single channel. Depends what "graphics" entails I guess, if it ever went towards video editing then the memory would be good. That said, it can be added in later.

/LiQuid.Ace

22. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Is that the max budget? Only thing i'd try squeeze more money into would be 16GB of memory, dual channel setup does have some improvement over single channel. Depends what "graphics" entails I guess, if it ever went towards video editing then the memory would be good. That said, it can be added in later.

/LiQuid.Ace
    na no video editing atm, as you say can throw in another 8gb as soon as its needed. The rest seems pretty solid for the budget, i dont think there is much room anywhere else.

23. Post
    refrigerator wrote:
    Built my pc with recommendations from here couple of years ago, I'm a bit out of date again. People like AMD now, it seems.
    Check the start of this thread for component ideas, it really comes down to max budget. Given prices of certain components currently though, if the budget is not much, might have to keep an eye on trademe for people selling their old rigs.

24. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Check the start of this thread for component ideas, it really comes down to max budget. Given prices of certain components currently though, if the budget is not much, might have to keep an eye on trademe for people selling their old rigs.
    Thanks, I'll use those as a starting point!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

25. Post
    I've given up on updating them since RAM and GPU prices seem to change quite significantly every other week - though they're probably okay for starting point - I might just throw together a few, not adhering to any specific price, and when prices change again in another few weeks people can just work it out.

Edit: popped a quick update into OP
    Last edited by Word Of Madness; 25th January 2018 at 2:59 pm.