GP suggests PC builds

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 4,276 to 4,293 of 4293

1. Post
    I've never bothered. If you're going to buy from overseas you may as well go Amazon, at least warranty won't be a nightmare. Have purchased battery tools while there though. But I consider them to have no warranty as if they fail, shipping in both directions is never going to be economical. Will be the same deal with PC stuff unless you're buying parts with global warranties.

2. Post
    I'd be looking at a gpu primarily . Understand the warranty issues but they can be considerably cheaper.

3. Post
    Would depend on what card you're looking to get. From a quick look it seems you could save $50-$200 on a 2070 Super or 5700 XT by buying it in Australia. At $50 its probably pretty marginal whether its worth it.

You'll be able to claim the 10% GST in Australia at the airport, which will reduce the cost. But NZ has a $700 limit on duty-free and other purchases. Whether that is a restriction or not is up to you, of course.

4. Post
    If you're buy atm, youre best to stick to 3600 for now then later upgrade to ryzen 4000 8/16 core in future, seem more economical (unless you need the power) especially if you plan to keep the system 3-5yr

4000 series stated to be a new architecture (redisgn or heavily modified?) so should be a decent bump if all the rumours are true

5. Post
    Hey GP, looking for some advice as I'm finally looking to upgrade my prehistoric rig which I've been maintaining by upgrading certain components over the years but I think she needs to put down now Haven't really had the time or been playing any graphics intensive games for the past few years so have been running:

CPU: Xeon 5650 (Stock at the moment) with a megahalems cooler
    Mobo: X58-UD3r
    RAM: 16gb DDR3
    GPU: GTX960
    PSU: Corsair HX650

Budget is around 2k +-500 and after doing some research seems like the following is bang for buck:
    CPU: Ryzen 3600
    Cpu cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 seems like best value? Or should I be looking at liquid cooling?
    Mobo: Should I be looking at X570 or B450 boards to have a level of future proofing the build? Highly likely I will throw additional ram and replace 3600 with a 4000 cpu in the future.
    RAM: 16gb DDR4 3200
    GPU: RX 5700 XT
    SSD : Currently there is an offer on major PC stores like CL, where if I buy a gigabyte RX5700XT they give a free GIGABYTE M.2 NVMe SSD 512GB. Or should I look to purchase a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD for the sheer value? For other drives I have SSDs in my current build which I'll keep.
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 or 350x. Open to suggestions around similar price range.
    PSU: Pick up a modular gold rated 650w PSU or would it be risky to recycle the HX650?

Also would like to pick up a 144hz 24-27inch monitor. Was looking at the BenQ Zowie XL2430, but I know nothing about monitors so open to suggestions~

Thanks in advance GP!

6. Post
    212 will do the trick. I'd go for the gigabyte deal if it makes sense price wise. Avoid all ASUS 5700XT cards either way. How old is the HX650? X570 board for the PCIE4.0. if you're not worried about that, a solid B450 is a great value option. If getting 3000 series I doubt you'll upgrade to 4000 unless increasing core count. In which case I'd do that now.

7. Post
    Cool, 212 it is~
    The hx650 is quite old so probably best to pick up a new PSU :P
    Ill do some more research about the boards. What would you consider a solid B450 board and good value X570 board?

8. Post
    Yeah check back in this thread, I forget the exact B450 models. Even check hardware unboxed videos on YouTube. They have good comparisons for both boards types.

9. Post
    Thanks for pointing me to Hardware Unboxed videos, definitely helped~

Looking to get the following:

From PB Tech (Will pick up)
    Case: Phanteks Eclipse 350x
    Cooler: Hyper 212
    PSU: Evga Supernova 650w

From CL (Delivered)
    CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb DDR4 3200
    GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT (Hopefully can get the free gigabyte M.2 NVMe SSD 512GB)
    Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk
    Monitor: BenQ Zowie XL2430 or Acer KG251QF

Total cost $2494.49 (With BenQ Monitor) vs $2363.09 (With Acer Monitor)

Will check here for any further suggestions throughout the day tomorrow before placing an order in the weekend~
    Last edited by kimchi; 17th January 2020 at 12:07 am.

10. Post
    Any recommendations for a business style workstation for parents?
    It would mainly be Excel (big worksheets), and occasionally playing movies over Plex or local 4k video.

I thought about building something, but thought maybe for warranty etc it might be better to buy a Dell/Lenovo/HP workstation. Dell warranty service has been great for me in the past.

Ryzen 3400Gs seem to be making their way into some Lenovos.

11. Post
    Get a prebuilt with warranty so you're not called over to troubleshoot all the time

12. Post
    MoNk wrote:
    Any recommendations for a business style workstation for parents?
    It would mainly be Excel (big worksheets), and occasionally playing movies over Plex or local 4k video.

I thought about building something, but thought maybe for warranty etc it might be better to buy a Dell/Lenovo/HP workstation. Dell warranty service has been great for me in the past.

Ryzen 3400Gs seem to be making their way into some Lenovos.
    As nzbleach says .. get a prebuilt for warranty. Don't turn into the Family IT person,

13. Post
    Yeah I'm definitely leaning that way.

14. Post
    Could go with a NUC, likely not cheaper than a built to minimum requirements OEM box though. Think my parents one is an i3 thing (few years old now), slap in memory, SSD and put windows on via USB, sorted. Went with NUC as they used it in two places frequently, but not having a box taking up space is pretty good.

15. Post
    I did initially look a a NUC but i'm not sure if it's powerful enough, and then the i7 is a bit pricey.

https://www.dell.com/en-nz/work/shop...n013o7070sffnz

This looks reasonable, and you get an extra 8% off at the moment.

16. Post
    Is that reasonable? Looks a bit overkill and overpriced. Still need to buy office. Just my 2c though.

The 3400G you mentioned would be a pretty good place to start.

As for having to fix things, most issues are third party software related in my experience, not sure warranty will cover that. If you change your mind on that, Tastech usually have decently priced boxes you can customise (since you are in CHCH). Our other office system was done that way, was a super basic box for like $500. But it looks like for ~$1200 or so, you can get a 3400G based box (had to customise the AMD upgrade kit) with office home and student 2019. Many ways to skin a cat etc.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 20th January 2020 at 7:00 pm.

17. Post
    Maybe I should just make a 3400g practice build for myself. I was going to build one and see if it was good enough for 4k + Zwift (cycling game simulator) on a 4k tv...but didn't want to commit the $ to fail. I'm pretty sure it won't run well at 4k

18. Post
    Yeah i'm pretty sure you're right. Unless that game is five years old and well optimised. The fact the 3400G can actually game means that 4k playback will at least be covered easily.