GP suggests PC builds

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 4181

1. Post
    Thanks popopop, that was one of the options I was looking at. Good to hear you didn't run into any issues with the bios update.

2. Post
    Yeah both those boards are good options. I'm surprised the MAX boards aren't in stock yet, can't be too far away. You could always enquire with one of the retailers to see if they have ETA.

Bazooka is cut down specs wise, so just make sure it covers all your requirements.

3. Post
    I got the B450 Tomahawk from Amazon and everything ran fine.

4. Post
    I got the B450 Mortar from CL and everything ran fine.

5. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    I got the B450 Mortar from CL and everything ran fine.
    /thread

6. Post
    Sapphire pulse's should be added to build list as cheaper alternatives to the 2060/2070 cards

7. Post
    Have done, also updated some pricing and changed the mobos to the Max versions

8. Post
    This may seem like a stupid question, but do mATX mobos even offer that much more over mITX ones these days? All I can see is an additional couple of mini pci slots and some more fan headers, some have 2 more ram slots (that I'd never use).

9. Post
    dependent on your priorities I guess, I went with the mortar over MSI B450I Gaming Plus AC because it had 2 m2 sockets, was cheaper and little things like more multi channel audio connectors etc, would have been fine with ITX if it was the same

10. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    This may seem like a stupid question, but do mATX mobos even offer that much more over mITX ones these days? All I can see is an additional couple of mini pci slots and some more fan headers, some have 2 more ram slots (that I'd never use).
    mATX tend to be the cheapest option

11. Post
    Long time console pleb, first time pc builder.

Can anyone recommend whether this build would suffice for my budget? I have $1500 to spend and this dials in at $1367 if I buy all through PBTech. Ideally I’d like to spend the remainder on a Ducky One 2 mini but if anyone can see where I can spend it elsewhere on this build to make it better I’d consider it as I have a KB but I will want to replace it at some stage.

Ryzen 5 2600x
    Asus Prime B450
    Ripjaw DDR4 2666 x2 8gb
    500gb Crucial MX500 m.2 ssd
    EVGA GTX 1660
    Phanteks P300 mid tower
    Corsair cx 550w

I have OS, hdd, KBM and monitor sorted
    Chur

12. Post
    BL4CK wrote:
    Long time console pleb, first time pc builder.

Can anyone recommend whether this build would suffice for my budget? I have $1500 to spend and this dials in at $1367 if I buy all through PBTech. Ideally I’d like to spend the remainder on a Ducky One 2 mini but if anyone can see where I can spend it elsewhere on this build to make it better I’d consider it as I have a KB but I will want to replace it at some stage.

Ryzen 5 2600x
    Asus Prime B450
    Ripjaw DDR4 2666 x2 8gb
    500gb Crucial MX500 m.2 ssd
    EVGA GTX 1660
    Phanteks P300 mid tower
    Corsair cx 550w

I have OS, hdd, KBM and monitor sorted
    Chur
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...90kAA_/pubhtml

You should be able to get a 1660 Ti and a Ryzen 5 3600 in that budget.

13. Post
    I think those prime boards are the shit ones. Go for one of the MSI boards in that link.

As mentioned get the best core parts you can for the budget. You can save up for keyboard later as you mention. I'd put the extra money into GPU over anything else.

14. Post
    Cool, So swap the Prime out for the Tomahawk, up the gpu to the Ti and 3600 over the 2600x? is the 3600 really a beneficial step up from the 2600x

15. Post
    It's not today, with midrange GPU's. That will change in the future, but at which point i'm not sure. I'm not sure what the price difference is between those two either. I think GPU is still where the most gains will be had for a while yet. I considered upgrading my 1600 to a 3600, but until my GPU is a lot more powerful, the GPU still holds the system back. However, if I was looking to build a system to last the best, and was buying today, i'd buy 3600. But I tend to keep my systems for a few years and upgrade GPU 1-2 times during that same time. So the 3600 would over time give better performance as it has a bit more capacity to grow with the higher performing GPU's. If on the other hand you can't see yourself upgrading the GPU to a much higher level over time, it's not going to be as important which CPU you go with out of those two.

tl;dr if you have the budget, get the 3600.

My 2c anyway.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 3rd September 2019 at 7:27 pm.

16. Post
    You can skip through this one to check performance with a 2080Ti. Which could represent your performance if you upgrade your GPU in a few years time, to what might be then, mid range.

17. Post
    cool I'll give it a watch, thanks Fragulation.

So far I've settled on the Mortar over the tomahawk, Crucial P1 over the MX500, gone to the Ti windforce OC, still undecided on the 3600.

18. Post
    I have a spanner to throw in the works...

For $50 more you can get a reference Radeon 5700. So it's a blower cooler, but can be much faster than 1660Ti game dependent. It will depend if you use headphones for gaming or not. I have reference Vega 56 and never hear my cooler due to wearing headphones. So for me, the cooler makes no difference. Check reviews for noise levels on the 5700 though, it might not even be bad.

Just something else to consider

Comparison for 1660ti vs 5700
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1870...adeon-rx-5700/

5700 is competing with the 2060 Super, so for the $50 I think it's a good option.
    Last edited by Fragluton; 3rd September 2019 at 7:58 pm.

19. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    In that case I have another spanner to throw in the works...
    haha dammit! Yeah, you're not helping now lol how many more posts before you suggest a 2080ti

20. Post
    That would blow the budget slightly. 5700 is worth looking at though, AMD are pricing their cards to be better value across the board. Albeit they don't have top end gear yet. Would be easy choice for me, the performance often isn't even close between those cards.

The review above mentions that the blower coolers aren't that bad, compared to previous cards.

21. Post
    Are those Mighty ape computers worth it i saw the basic one on trade-me for $600 Vega Monkey.

22. Post
    Bit too vague to answer with any accuracy.

23. Post
    Hi

I want to spend $600-$800 on a new mobo, CPU, and RAM from http://www.dragonpc.co.nz.

I already have a Geforce GTX 1060 Strix 6GB graphics card.

If anyone could advise what they'd go for I'd appreciate it, I'm a bit paralysed by choice...

24. Post
    Lower end: Ryzen 2600, 16GB (8x2 kit) CL16 3200mhz memory. (whatever kit you like the look of)
    Higher end: Ryzen 3600, 16GB (8x2 kit) CL16 3200mhz memory. (whatever kit you like the look of)

Looks like they are waiting on stock for quite a few boards. So the above is going off in stock parts. If you aren't in a hurry, you'll have more motherboard options.

Motherboards currently in stock. I think cheaper options will be available at some point, but the below ones are in stock and have good VRM as per this image. https://i.redd.it/v41vtfrvxkk31.png

MSI (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX)
    MSI (B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC) - likely need BIOS update if going with 3600
    MSI (B450 GAMING PLUS MAX)

Each with varying quality VRM, all of which will run that above chip fine with overhead to run a higher core count chip. Most of the others in stock I wouldn't bother with. X470 boards are limited and closer to the $300 mark.

If not in a hurry, see about pre ordering or waiting for stock:
    MSI (B450M MORTAR MAX)
    MSI (B450M MORTAR TITANIUM) - will require BIOS update it going with 3600

Purely from a price point, the above boards have similar VRM's, so any of them will be fine for the above chips.

So here is my list if buying today.
    AMD (YD2600BBAFBOX) Ryzen 5 2600 Pinnacle Ridge, Socket AM4, 3.4GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) $226.55
    Adata (AX4U320038G16-DB10) 16GB (2x8GB) XPG Gammix D10, DIMM, DDR4-3200, CL16, $164.00
    MSI (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX) AMD B450, ATX Motherboard, Socket AM4, DDR4-4133(O.C.), $250.88

Total: $640

With this cooler instead of the provided one. Or buy a new one from Dragon. The trademe one will do the job for probably not much coin though. https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...46ef6f0fe7-001
    Last edited by Fragluton; 5th September 2019 at 5:04 pm.

25. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Lower end: Ryzen 2600, 16GB (8x2 kit) CL16 3200mhz memory. (whatever kit you like the look of)
    Higher end: Ryzen 3600, 16GB (8x2 kit) CL16 3200mhz memory. (whatever kit you like the look of)

Looks like they are waiting on stock for quite a few boards. So the above is going off in stock parts. If you aren't in a hurry, you'll have more motherboard options.

Motherboards currently in stock. I think cheaper options will be available at some point, but the below ones are in stock and have good VRM as per this image. https://i.redd.it/v41vtfrvxkk31.png

MSI (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX)
    MSI (B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC) - likely need BIOS update if going with 3600
    MSI (B450 GAMING PLUS MAX)

Each with varying quality VRM, all of which will run that above chip fine with overhead to run a higher core count chip. Most of the others in stock I wouldn't bother with. X470 boards are limited and closer to the $300 mark.

If not in a hurry, see about pre ordering or waiting for stock:
    MSI (B450M MORTAR MAX)
    MSI (B450M MORTAR TITANIUM) - will require BIOS update it going with 3600

Purely from a price point, the above boards have similar VRM's, so any of them will be fine for the above chips.

So here is my list if buying today.
    AMD (YD2600BBAFBOX) Ryzen 5 2600 Pinnacle Ridge, Socket AM4, 3.4GHz (Turbo 3.9GHz) $226.55
    Adata (AX4U320038G16-DB10) 16GB (2x8GB) XPG Gammix D10, DIMM, DDR4-3200, CL16, $164.00
    MSI (B450 TOMAHAWK MAX) AMD B450, ATX Motherboard, Socket AM4, DDR4-4133(O.C.), $250.88

Total: $640

With this cooler instead of the provided one. Or buy a new one from Dragon. The trademe one will do the job for probably not much coin though. https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/...46ef6f0fe7-001
    So what impact does this have in real terms, I'm in the market for a new Mobo and I was just going to pick up any old B450, what would I be losing if I chose one with only one green tick?