Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    why do people like this akira story so much? I have the video and it was well, dull. I keep seeing "greatest anime ever" so the rest is really really bad ?

2. Post
    I agree, the film was a failure. It attempted too compress to much into one film. The original manga is superb. I think the main thing is that it was the first anime film for a lot of people. It's a nostagia thing more than anything else.

3. Post

4. Post
    And lol just to prove a point, the first review from imdb:
    Every Anime fan have to start from a certain place.

I was probably around 8, when I first saw Akira. It was my step dad who asked me if I was interested in watching this Japanese cartoon. I expected something like, my favorite children movies like The Lion King or The Land before Time.

5. Post
    UnholySoldier wrote:
    why do people like this akira story so much? I have the video and it was well, dull. I keep seeing "greatest anime ever" so the rest is really really bad ?
    I love Akira but would prefer a Ninja Scroll film.

6. Post

7. Post

8. Post

9. Post
    Also, RE Keanu playing Spike, I meant purely from an aesthetic perspective. I'll be sure to make that distinction in future.

(Yes, haven't opened this thread in quite some time)

10. Post
    I liked Kristen Stewart right up until she did that bloody teen film franchise.

11. Post
    I'm sure that there was another thread for this as well. God damn erratic search.

12. Post
    I really enjoyed Metoroporisu (Metropolis). Some reason i often prefer the cutesy japanese cartoons over those slick ones with cool teenagers. Never felt like watching Akira more than once.

Just because this doesn't deserve its own thread: what the hell is this Japanese creepy mind**** i found? I have to find the full movie!!

13. Post
    The anime film is overrated. The manga is pretty good. But yeah, for many people it was the first anime they'd ever really encoutered so they tend to have the good ole rose tinted glasses on.

14. Post
    Kind of like how i have an undying love for Star Wars? I guess Empire is actually good.

But seriously please harness all your movie powers to tell me the name of that movie above.

EDIT: god damn the pop up which has since been added told me: "Funky Forest". Now there is a challenge guys. Bring back that weekly movie thing and put that on it

15. Post
    Yea I think I saw that posted somewhere else a while ago. Not sure about the weekly movie thing. No one seemed to be that interested. There are other sites that it do it better as well I guess. Funnily enough I've been watching quite a few ****ed up films lately. On my to-do list is one called Greedy Guts.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228687/

Re Star Wars. I was like that for ages. Until I realised that they were actually quite mediocre. Empire is definitely my favourite as well.

16. Post
    Murakami wrote:
    Not sure about the weekly movie thing. No one seemed to be that interested.
    It was fun for a while but only a few people really made any serious effort in their posts and in the end it just felt like too much work.

17. Post
    Greedy Guts looks like a good one to watch with the misses. Cheers.
    Digging deep into the strange and the foreign now, as I am running out of options.

18. Post
    So apparently Taika Waitiki is directing an Akira live-action movie and it begins shooting this month?
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...credit/.145312

EDIT: I wanna slap my younger self for slandering Keanu Reeves. He's great.

19. Post

20. Post
    Apprently Warner Bros has halted production due to script and budget issues just 8 weeks out from filming.

https://twitter.com/kristapley/statu...4385347121152?

21. Post
    Taika has departed from Akira (for now) in favour of directing Thor 4 for Marvel. WB still hopes to reunite with Taika once he completes production on Thor 4 but it looks like production on Akira is on hold (again) for now.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/t...SCpx8FZd7-nOD0

22. Post
    i can't think of a good live action anime adaptation, but Taika's thor was easily one of the best MCU movies so I'm not even slightly disappointed that he's back for Th4r.

23. Post
    Must be one of the only people that did not mind GITS

24. Post
    jords wrote:
    Must be one of the only people that did not mind GITS
    No you're not. Obviously not anywhere near the original. But I still enjoyed it.