1. Post
    first post needs to be updated, $8000-12000 is not an expensive car, its almost chump change

2. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    first post needs to be updated, $8000-12000 is not an expensive car, its almost chump change
    For some sure. 12k to me is huge money

Sent from my K3 Note using Tapatalk

3. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Must resist urge to mx5
    If you're looking at han16s I can vouch for it mechanically, he's a massive sperglord for factory replacement parts and fixing all the things

4. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    If you're looking at han16s I can vouch for it mechanically, he's a massive sperglord for factory replacement parts and fixing all the things
    Have you seen gar? It's way too nice for him. Plus what I guess it's going to be used for.

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Lol what? This is a thread titled 'Buying your first car', 8k is expensive for your standard teenager/young person buying their first car. To that same crowd 12k is a massive amount

6. Post
    Anyone know anything about Jerry Clayton's car export facility in Singapore. Looks good but an acquaintance told me to avoid like the plague as his cars are always poorly maintained due to his business model being to grab cars nearing their end of life period in Sing (10 years) and then sell to gullible kiwis who are forced to cough up in the compliance shop. Things like suspensions, cooling, A/C, brakes, lower arms bushes & steering suffer badly with all the short trips apparently and then Sing owners stop the servicing two years from the end

7. Post
    Filthy88 wrote:
    Lol what? This is a thread titled 'Buying your first car', 8k is expensive for your standard teenager/young person buying their first car. To that same crowd 12k is a massive amount
    Never mind teenagers, some people don't have the budget.
    My first car was $400, ok ages ago...but still. All my cars (except one classic) were $3000 or less right up until last week.

Now if you buy privately and know what you should check you can buy a perfectly good, reliable car for that. Many people think this way, oh I must pay $7000+ or oh the paintwork is a bit spotty, I can't be seen dead in it. (And I got one for $1000 because of that, wife having baby, can't drive in patchy paint car with baby)
    (Why, Do babies care?) I repainted it myself. Cost $70.

Also I stuck with the boring but reliable. Not the boy racer performances, the largemember showoff cars, the name cars.

I'd add one thing to the list. Stick within your means.
    Paying something off for 5 years is stupid. They depreciate like mad, or, perhaps it has some major issue or bad accident. Guess what, you still have to pay the finance company and the insurance pay out may not match by then.

Cash is far better, save up.

I have bought now for $11000, cash. Well, OK, direct credit actually. But I have never ever paid off a car or any other device.
    That's for mortgages.

8. Post
    Techhead wrote:
    Anyone know anything about Jerry Clayton's car export facility in Singapore. Looks good but an acquaintance told me to avoid like the plague as his cars are always poorly maintained due to his business model being to grab cars nearing their end of life period in Sing (10 years) and then sell to gullible kiwis who are forced to cough up in the compliance shop. Things like suspensions, cooling, A/C, brakes, lower arms bushes & steering suffer badly with all the short trips apparently and then Sing owners stop the servicing two years from the end
    Lot of people say stay away from Singapore imports, I’d add to that last Aussie imports since its most likely a write off
    Lots of Aussie imports on trademe not being declared as write offs either but easy to check if it has a rego on carjam

9. Post
    Doesn't hurt to own yourself a lemon and dog guide book. It's a good read even if your not buying

10. Post
    DieDemon wrote:
    Doesn't hurt to own yourself a lemon and dog guide book. It's a good read even if your not buying
    If you desperately need a doorstop or a fire starter, then I guess it might be useful.

If you have a high cringe threshold and a well developed sense of irony then it might be enjoyable to read.

Otherwise it's really nothing more than a sad end to part of an innocent tree.

11. Post
    DieDemon wrote:
    It's rubbish, and the writer is the biggest numpty to ever put pen to paper on the subject of cars in NZ

12. Post
    Good post , what are the best cars these days for 8 - 12k? Preferably reliable bit not too boring ( thinking Lexus is250 or Mazda atenza)

13. Post
    Fuga 450GT.

14. Post
    4th gen legacy b4

15. Post
    Recommend to save and then buy a car compared to finance/ tick up and pay double. Car auctions are cheap and you can find AA there, to do a check. Mileage is a sign of parts used but does not show true engine miles if you sit at lights often. Do your research, petrol, running costs of a v8 could be longer/better if you ran a 4 cylinder. Cars loose value, they are not asset that increases with age. Get organised, is ya car for transport or image ?

16. Post
    Financing – Car yards are excellent for offering finance on your vehicle making it easier to afford that car which is just a bit more than what you can afford in cash but is a real bargain. But remember, always check on what the interest rate is, who the finance company is backed by and also obtain a final figure on the cost including interest before signing any documents!

Worth noting on the finance to make sure there is no penalty for paying off early.

17. Post
    hmm will this get updated? looking for something in the $4000-8000 range

18. Post
    Kog wrote:
    hmm will this get updated? looking for something in the $4000-8000 range
    What are you looking for in a car?

19. Post
    ludez wrote:
    What are you looking for in a car?
    Something that does skids and drops panties

20. Post
    mac-one-oh wrote:
    Something that does skids and drops panties
    A Civic then

21. Post
    lol I have an old one...wanted something newer.

I drive about 18km to work each day. My friend was trying to convince me to get a Swift ^ ^"

22. Post
    Is your friend a hairdresser?

23. Post
    nothing wrong with swifts

24. Post
    Swifts are fine. I mean, not as solid as a Corolla, but still a perfectly functional appliance.

25. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    nothing wrong with swifts
    Clearly you haven't seen how they fare in an accident then.

There are numerous deaths that wouldn't have happened in a stronger car with things like side intrusion bars. There is a reason they are trying to ban the import of the older model ones.