Random Crap Thread

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Results 11,976 to 12,000 of 12009

1. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    ^ Ham sandwich! Shit that got a great lol out of me.

I'm running Nexen Nfera AU5 tyres on the Volvo. They came with it when I bought it in November 2018 (thanks capriv8!), and whilst I don't know where they sit in the range, top end or budget end, they have been fine. In fact, they are wearing incredibly well.
    Bit the bullet and ordered a set. Will be replacing Bridgestone S001s and S007As. So likely a step down in quality. But 800 installed vs likely almost 1.5k+ to replace with S007As again seemed like a no brainer. Also my 325i is far from a race car in need of high end tyres.

2. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    It will, one day, after some irredeemable ****wit destroys one trying to recharge it with a ham sandwich and then moans to the papers when warranty wont cover ham sandwich related damage
    the forecourt concierge yesterday opened the electricity flap when I rolled up to fill with petrol and nearly blew his mind.

3. Post
    Roadstones are fine, they're Korean.

It's the Southern Asian and Chinese brands you gotta worry about.

4. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    Roadstones are fine, they're Korean.

It's the Southern Asian and Chinese brands you gotta worry about.
    Yeah got them installed today. Went slightly wider 235/35 19 and 265/30 19 from 225 and 255. Ride seems a bit cushier and quieter than the Potenzas. Will have to give them a blast up scenic drive to see how they handle the twistys.

5. Post
    Workshop did a pre-purchase inspection/full check up on my car for me a a couple of weeks ago and gave me a list. Last thursday lunchtime I went back in with my list and discussed getting some items done and asked them to email me quote/prices for what we discussed. He said he will do it that afternoon.
    As of this morning I hadn't heard anything so I called them and he said he hadn't got around to it yet and will do it today for sure. As of 4.30pm I haven't heard anything.

Am I being unreasonable that I would have expected to get it back by now lol? Or is this just how long it takes sometimes?

Maybe I need to find a new place which is a shame as this one is 5 minutes walk from home so very convenient.

6. Post
    Are you in that much of a hurry? Paperwork is likely fit in around jobs. Which if they are a good workshop they'll likely have lots of. I'd give them a few days, as overall it sounds like using them will be easiest. A good workshop is worth waiting for. Mine is usually 1-2 weeks book up. I don't get quotes anymore though as I know they are legit, so just ask for ball parks. They are often under what price they give too.

7. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Are you in that much of a hurry? Paperwork is likely fit in around jobs. Which if they are a good workshop they'll likely have lots of. I'd give them a few days, as overall it sounds like using them will be easiest. A good workshop is worth waiting for. Mine is usually 1-2 weeks book up. I don't get quotes anymore though as I know they are legit, so just ask for ball parks. They are often under what price they give too.
    Unfortunately didn't hear from them today. Not in a super hurry as it's only a weekend/track car but I was hoping to get a couple of things done before the weekend as I need to use it on Sunday. It might be worse having been 2 short work weeks in a row, maybe just bad timing.

8. Post
    Not an unreasonable expectation. He may have had an emergency come up or something. Just ask for an update and/or new ETA imo. It's pretty common for mechanics to be busy af.

9. Post
    Yeah, you cut them some slack, first couple of times anyway.

10. Post
    Workmate got a set of those new JDM style plates for his car

they actually look pretty decent IRL, I had huge doubts about them, but they are fading after seeing them for real

I bet they cost all of the money ever printed just to get the design though

11. Post
    Had the use a loaner car today. A new Mini Cooper. The gear change was quirky, the size was huge for a so-called mini and it had that stupid start-stop mechanism.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minicooper.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	228180

12. Post
    Oh yeah, the new Mini's are anything but these days

13. Post
    Does anyone here work at a tyre shop in AKL? I want to get some tyres off some rims and sorted out.

14. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    Oh yeah, the new Mini's are anything but these days
    Lol, people used to laugh at the R53's (the first of the "new" Mini's) for being bigger, but they're tiny compared to the average Cooper rolling out the door these days.. Still has that small car feel compared to the current model which is massive.

15. Post
    Skilfil wrote:
    Lol, people used to laugh at the R53's (the first of the "new" Mini's) for being bigger, but they're tiny compared to the average Cooper rolling out the door these days.. Still has that small car feel compared to the current model which is massive.
    and whats the off road one? the countryman or something? its ****in huuuuuuuuuuuuuge!

I also burnt most of my paycheck on vapid cosmetic stuff today, booked the car in to get its windscreen removed so the can fit unimolding stuff cause factory trims are beyond impossible to find new now, and dropped off the front lip to get major reconstruction surgery after I blew it to bits misjudging a grass dip

They're gonna cut and glue on a rubber gasket for the mating surface too, that will keep it snug, stop it rubbing, and not let schmoo through it while its on the car

16. Post
    Got to replace my front bridgestone RE003's but availability in the south island is shit. Suggestions for any suitable alternatives? tia

17. Post
    Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5 perhaps? They are on my list, which also has RE003, so whichever is available / cheapest at the time. Depends on the size I guess, mine doesn't have massive options. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (and "S" models for larger rims) came up a bit when I was searching, but not available in my size so discounted it.

18. Post
    fUrBuRgEr wrote:
    Got to replace my front bridgestone RE003's but availability in the south island is shit. Suggestions for any suitable alternatives? tia
    PS4's are far better if you can get them in your size at similar pricing.

19. Post
    Trying to figure out how to clean cloudiness/bloom/oxidation off the inside of my headlights...... what a rabbit hole it's turning into! For the amount of time I've spent on it, might as well have bought whole new ones at $500 a pop!

Might just take it in to Volvo and say "fix this". Will see if they can put it under my mechanical insurance so it's only $300.

20. Post
    Name:  Nissan.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  23.4 KB

I know I shouldn't laugh. But I did

21. Post
    ^ Excellent!

22. Post
    Anyone got any suggestions of what spark plugs to use in a ae101 levin. 20v 4age vvt ?

23. Post
    looking for recommendations on PPF/ceramic coats - any particular business or brand I should look out for?

24. Post
    NOMIS wrote:
    Anyone got any suggestions of what spark plugs to use in a ae101 levin. 20v 4age vvt ?
    NGK catalogue says BKR6EP

https://www.ngkspark.co.nz/partfinder/

25. Post
    I have just got mine from Toyota in the past, just went with cheapo ones, over platinum or whatever the fancy stuff is. I just used to swap them out at 10,000km. Could be worth cross matching the plugs (when you know what you want) on RockAuto. A quick look, assuming the number added to the end is gap, for example "BKR6EP8". $60NZ delivered for a set of 4 NGK platinums. Can likely cross reference oil filters while you're there and they might not increase shipping costs.