1. Post
    Yeah for sure.

We have been skating the Riverhead mini (Auckland). I get my kicks out of just doing rock fakies in both directions.

2. Post
    Rock to fakie feels so good, especially when you get that massive over hang with the sound of clunking wood and pause... then you rock back into fakie.

3. Post
    Used to skate around 10-12 years old. Was never any good, gave up when my board fell apart. I bought a World Industries a couple of years ago simply as an A-B kinda method of transportation to get to work and back but never tried any tricks. Felt too old and marnus.

2 years ago I bought my (then) 5 year old a mini Blind board and we had a bit of fun practicing - he was able to stand on it while I pushed and guided him around. I was hoping it would get me back into it - but we spent more time getting the fundamentals down, and within no time he was bored and playing on the playground.

He watched some youtubers trying it out and got himself motivated again (now 7). He messed around in the garage on the school holidays then asked if we could go down to the school. I was pretty hyped!

We took our boards down and his balance had naturally improved. He was pushing mongo like me lol, which I've since untrained out of him (though not so easy for me!!).

We got to the point where we could actually roll around the school together, super slow of course, but I had one of those amazing dad moments where im like 'holy **** i'm actually skating with my son'.

There was nothing wrong with the World Industries board as such (infact, I didn't even know they were a big brand at the time; I'd picked it up on sale from Mighty Ape so it always had a b-grade status in my mind) but I went to cheapskates with the intent on buying a Santa Cruz complete. And I'd nearly paid for it before I asked.. 'What is Rodney Mullen up to these days.. do you have any boards of his?' to which they showed me his latest:

And I had to have it.

Since then, and this was only 2 weeks ago, I've been obsessed again. My first goal was a kickflip. I spent an estimated 6 hours, with around what I'd guess to be 3 attempts a minute which works out at around 1000 failures, before I landed the bitch. My first one, ever.

My shins were so bruised and cut up, my shoes had deteriorated, but I landed it (and video'd for proof) (no im not sharing lol).

But felt like I needed to go back to basics as I still couldn't ollie at speed on concrete. So while the kickflip was a huge achievement, I've shelved it for now and started going back to the building blocks; movement, speed, stopping, getting up a small curb, getting down a small curb, even a shoveit.

I went for 3 skate sessions each day over the last 2 weekends, skateparks, schools and the garage. Suffice to say I'm back the **** into this for now. I've injured my hand and ankles are cooked - turning 40 in a few months I'm healing slowly but ordered some pads n stuff so itching to get back into it.

I can't even play video games right now; I'm usually watching mullen videos (his TEDx talk is amazing), other old skating doco's or tutorial vids.

I still push mongo tho :/

4. Post
    I'm looking at getting a board soon too. There are beginner nights at the indoor park in the city, would feel less like an idiot if I was around other beginners. Probably going for an 8.5"+ and fat wheels so I can use it for cruising round town mostly.

you gotta quit that mongo though dawg

5. Post
    Crow#Zero wrote:
    Used to skate around 10-12 years old. Was never any good, gave up when my board fell apart. I bought a World Industries a couple of years ago simply as an A-B kinda method of transportation to get to work and back but never tried any tricks. Felt too old and marnus.

2 years ago I bought my (then) 5 year old a mini Blind board and we had a bit of fun practicing - he was able to stand on it while I pushed and guided him around. I was hoping it would get me back into it - but we spent more time getting the fundamentals down, and within no time he was bored and playing on the playground.

He watched some youtubers trying it out and got himself motivated again (now 7). He messed around in the garage on the school holidays then asked if we could go down to the school. I was pretty hyped!

We took our boards down and his balance had naturally improved. He was pushing mongo like me lol, which I've since untrained out of him (though not so easy for me!!).

We got to the point where we could actually roll around the school together, super slow of course, but I had one of those amazing dad moments where im like 'holy **** i'm actually skating with my son'.

There was nothing wrong with the World Industries board as such (infact, I didn't even know they were a big brand at the time; I'd picked it up on sale from Mighty Ape so it always had a b-grade status in my mind) but I went to cheapskates with the intent on buying a Santa Cruz complete. And I'd nearly paid for it before I asked.. 'What is Rodney Mullen up to these days.. do you have any boards of his?' to which they showed me his latest:

And I had to have it.

Since then, and this was only 2 weeks ago, I've been obsessed again. My first goal was a kickflip. I spent an estimated 6 hours, with around what I'd guess to be 3 attempts a minute which works out at around 1000 failures, before I landed the bitch. My first one, ever.

My shins were so bruised and cut up, my shoes had deteriorated, but I landed it (and video'd for proof) (no im not sharing lol).

But felt like I needed to go back to basics as I still couldn't ollie at speed on concrete. So while the kickflip was a huge achievement, I've shelved it for now and started going back to the building blocks; movement, speed, stopping, getting up a small curb, getting down a small curb, even a shoveit.

I went for 3 skate sessions each day over the last 2 weekends, skateparks, schools and the garage. Suffice to say I'm back the **** into this for now. I've injured my hand and ankles are cooked - turning 40 in a few months I'm healing slowly but ordered some pads n stuff so itching to get back into it.

I can't even play video games right now; I'm usually watching mullen videos (his TEDx talk is amazing), other old skating doco's or tutorial vids.

I still push mongo tho :/
    Braille skateboarding would be perfect for you to watch some tutorials on mate.

I've been meaning to get back into skating, my old sponsor reached out to me in January and asked if I was still kicking around and if I wanted to do an old crew photo shoot and I said mate I haven't touched a board for years. I'm thinking of buying another board and getting back into it this week but there is no boards I like around anymore. I'm very particular with my boards

6. Post
    Nice one, definitely make the most of it while your body still can.

I don't skate as much as I'd like, my oldest is only 3 but we went to the skatepark a few months back and he grabbed my board when we arrived and thought he could just jump on and skate, he fell off immediately but the confidence he'd gathered simply by watching me skate was impressive. He can balance on the board if I push him around, and he can push himself around on his knees, I'm going to buy him a smaller complete at some stage as he rides a full size board for now.

Here is me doing a very rusty 360 flip with not enough pop: https://gfycat.com/SlipperyFrankAtlanticspadefish

7. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    you gotta quit that mongo though dawg
    I've tried and tried but there seem to be limiters in my ankle and my front hip - it just seems to 'stop' me from pushing regular. I've even spend evenings practicing the running 'holding the nose' start to the push but when im at speed I just can't get the back foot to keep up with the board. Aaaargh I hate it.

8. Post
    DW wrote:
    Nice one, definitely make the most of it while your body still can.

I don't skate as much as I'd like, my oldest is only 3 but we went to the skatepark a few months back and he grabbed my board when we arrived and thought he could just jump on and skate, he fell off immediately but the confidence he'd gathered simply by watching me skate was impressive. He can balance on the board if I push him around, and he can push himself around on his knees, I'm going to buy him a smaller complete at some stage as he rides a full size board for now.

Here is me doing a very rusty 360 flip with not enough pop: https://gfycat.com/SlipperyFrankAtlanticspadefish
    Keep your backfoot as steady as you can and you'll nail that 360

9. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Braille skateboarding would be perfect for you to watch some tutorials on mate.
    The first person perspective makes me nauseous unfortunately. I've been watching various videos on how to powerslide but the perspective is putting me off.

10. Post
    Sucks now I'm older now and the crew I used to skate with have all gone their separate ways. Such fun days.

11. Post
    DW wrote:

looks pretty frikken good to me.

spent another 45 mins on another kickflip, apparently it's national kickflip day in the US so busted out my 2nd.

12. Post
    skating 1 to 2 hours a day over the last 3 weeks, either rolling at the local school, skatepark or at home in the garage doing stationary tricks. Landed my first varial kickflip 2 days ago.

13. Post
    I need new shoes to skate in. Flip tricks chew my good ones up.

14. Post
    Nike SB I would recommend, cheap enough to make them your burners but they are comfy as shit

15. Post
    Dig this.

16. Post
    Love that clip but the music is offputting.. I've been watching it muted (shame i gotta miss out on the actual skating sounds tho) with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvNq...youtu.be&t=131

17. Post
    new set up (mostly)

enjoi deck (8.3" so a bit biger)
    shieldless raw bronson bearings
    independant x tracker trucks
    and the old almost wheels (tempted to go all in and swap these out too)
    top is pink wood so put on clear grip.. looks a bit like a tongue lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.15.34 AM.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	226722
    Last edited by Crow#Zero; 16th July 2019 at 10:19 am.

18. Post
    dupl3x wrote:
    Dig this.

Damn as someone who mountain bikes and skates/used to heaps this is perfect. If only they opened up forest skateparks/slopes.

19. Post
    the almost delam'd beyond repair (i glued it but split futher) and the 8.3 enjoi was too big so moved some stuff over to a new deck + new trucks

Santa Cruz VX deck 8.0 (imported from the US)
    Indy x Thrasher trucks
    Raw Bronson Bearings
    OJ Wheels
    Independent hardware

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 9.10.20 AM.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	564.3 KB 
ID:	226721

been skating pretty much every day. Slowly getting it.

20. Post
    Nice one. Haven't had much good skating weather over winter down here. Got my son one of these for his 4th birthday: https://fufanu.com.au/products/blind...top-skateboard

Much better than the boards at The Warehouse etc, and small enough for him to ride more comfortably. He still can't stand up and roll around but he's improving and enjoys playing on it at the skatepark, mostly just rolling around on his bum.

21. Post
    DW wrote:
    Nice one. Haven't had much good skating weather over winter down here. Got my son one of these for his 4th birthday: https://fufanu.com.au/products/blind...top-skateboard

Much better than the boards at The Warehouse etc, and small enough for him to ride more comfortably. He still can't stand up and roll around but he's improving and enjoys playing on it at the skatepark, mostly just rolling around on his bum.
    that's awesome. I bought my son a 7.75 Blind and he's getting way more confident (7 ys old), love taking him to the park or the local school. Still buzzes me out skating with him. I love seeing young kids on skateboards rather than scooters at the skatepark. On the weekend some parents asked me to give tips to their young girl who they just bought a board for, was a massive honour tbh. I've helped other kids drop in and ollie over the last few months too.

22. Post
    I can't wait till scooters get the purge. Though saying that, I'm seeing a few groups of young teens rocking skateboards which is cool to see. But also seeing a lot of people just walking around with one under their arm... lol.

23. Post
    How is it?