1. Post
    nzkfc wrote:
    Hey, What do you mean lead? as in they will spark up and cause fish to attract to bait? lol
    They call it lead point as over the years a metric shit ton of lead sinkers have been lost out there.

2. Post
    lol gee thanks.........

haha

3. Post
    I have never fished lead point, could be worth Straylining a whole pilly (tied on with excessive bait elastic) without any sinker. Would reduce the number of snags.

phred wrote:
    PS: Birch, I've added some of your surfcasting stuff to the OP.
    I think I managed at least one spelling and grammar error per line in that post If I remember, I might write a more detail version after Easter (would contain more spelling mistakes then the short version to).

4. Post
    So learnt a lot of things getting out there and doing it myself without a regular to guide, but had fun doing it!

Did not loose any tackle off Waihi Beach but didn't catch anything table worthy either, just were not biting on dusk/dawn. Got a undersized snapper and some sprats but put them all back.

Still a tad confused on line setups etc and how it should all work but managed to tie myself a simple cheapo dropper rig and that went well.

Anyways much to learn, loving it however

5. Post
    nzkfc wrote:
    So learnt a lot of things getting out there and doing it myself without a regular to guide, but had fun doing it!

Did not loose any tackle off Waihi Beach but didn't catch anything table worthy either, just were not biting on dusk/dawn. Got a undersized snapper and some sprats but put them all back.

Still a tad confused on line setups etc and how it should all work but managed to tie myself a simple cheapo dropper rig and that went well.

Anyways much to learn, loving it however
    I suck at surf casting. Only advice I can give is, take a second rod with a biggish hex wobbler to cast and retrieve through the breakers. Nice kahawai to be had that way, even if nothing is taking the bait.

6. Post
    Just wondering how you guys decide on releasing fish back.

Obviously if the fish in undersized or marginally legit.. But are you suppose to keep the big ones and release the smaller ones or the other way round?

7. Post
    i love fellatio wrote:
    Just wondering how you guys decide on releasing fish back.

Obviously if the fish in undersized or marginally legit.. But are you suppose to keep the big ones and release the smaller ones or the other way round?
    Down to the angler. Though IMO it's common sense to put back really big fish because the bigger the fish, the more little fish it can go on to create (mind you, I'm no biologist). A massive 20lb snapper should be released. Tbh anything over pannie size should go back. The best eating is usually the fish just over the limit, but big enough to get a decent sized fillet. For snapper I'd set a bottom limit of 30-35cm and an upper limit of around 60cm.

8. Post
    Sweet as~

Those seem like fairly reasonable sizes to me.

9. Post
    Would anyone be interested in a guide for fishing off the rocks?

10. Post
    I'd be interested :P

I suppose any info is good info

11. Post
    Schumn wrote:
    Would anyone be interested in a guide for fishing off the rocks?
    That'd be great man

12. Post
    I basically release all fish which would survive... but then I go fishing often, and normally have a few bags of fillets in the freezer. Even with circle hooks the occassional fish would get gill damage, excessive bleeding or simply faint from exhaustion.

13. Post
    I just impulse bought a surfcasting roll/reel.

And by impulse, I mean I don't even know what brand they are (picking them up tomorrow). They were recommended by the guy in the shop though Apparently the reel is pretty good and has a 10 year warrantee, and the rod is 12' and full graphite.

Meh, for $250, how can you go wrong.

14. Post
    Sounds like a cheap Shimano set.

15. Post
    Birch wrote:
    Sounds like a cheap Shimano set.
    That works for me

If it ends up getting a shitload of use, and I get hooked (lol, pun), then I'll invest in a better set.

16. Post
    Then you can fish two sets at once

17. Post
    I'm addicted to buying rods/reels at the moment. I started off with a cheap silstar surfcasting set that my partner's mum got me for xmas. Then at new years I bought a shorter light set with using it on boats in mind/having it for the mrs when she wants to use a rod.

Then I snapped my el-cheapo rod in half (whoops) and took it back to the warehouse and got $$ back, then went to rebel and upgraded with some of my own money to a $160ish Okuma 13' surfcaster with an axeon reel.

Then that rod's wooden handle came off the second time I used it (we're now into february) so I took it back and they sent it back to get repaired. In the mean time I needed another rod, so I bought an Okuma X-factor 2 piece 8'6" rocks rod, which I slapped the axeon reel onto.

Of course I realised this meant that when I got back my surf caster, I'd have be one reel short. So I went and put a BTR6500B on laybuy.

So now, by early March, within 3 months I'd gone from having no rods/reels to having 3 set ups lol.

Come April I decided it was time for an LBG set, so $570 later I was set up with a TLD30 and BBE 8' 15-24kg LBG rod.

Now I'm thinking about getting a Daiwa SL50SH paired on a VIP870 rod.

So addicted

18. Post
    The_Pard wrote:
    I'm addicted to buying rods/reels at the moment. I started off with a cheap silstar surfcasting set that my partner's mum got me for xmas. Then at new years I bought a shorter light set with using it on boats in mind/having it for the mrs when she wants to use a rod.

Then I snapped my el-cheapo rod in half (whoops) and took it back to the warehouse and got $$ back, then went to rebel and upgraded with some of my own money to a $160ish Okuma 13' surfcaster with an axeon reel.

Then that rod's wooden handle came off the second time I used it (we're now into february) so I took it back and they sent it back to get repaired. In the mean time I needed another rod, so I bought an Okuma X-factor 2 piece 8'6" rocks rod, which I slapped the axeon reel onto.

Of course I realised this meant that when I got back my surf caster, I'd have be one reel short. So I went and put a BTR6500B on laybuy.

So now, by early March, within 3 months I'd gone from having no rods/reels to having 3 set ups lol.

Come April I decided it was time for an LBG set, so $570 later I was set up with a TLD30 and BBE 8' 15-24kg LBG rod.

Now I'm thinking about getting a Daiwa SL50SH paired on a VIP870 rod.

So addicted
    That's the problem with fishing

With hunting, you can only shoot one rifle at a time.

19. Post
    You guys are just getting started... I have over 20 rods, and I know people with more then that.

Never paid over $500 for a Rod and several of my favorites were under $100, but that might change. My LBG rod retails for more then that but the store gave me a large discount.

20. Post
    My rod - http://www.completeangler.co.nz/rove...idp275993.html

My reel - http://www.discountfishingsupplies.c...00-p-3339.html

Feeling pretty damn pleased with myself. Got the rod for $100 which seems to be quite cheap, and the reel looks good too (was mentioned in the OP).

Maybe not a cheap set afterall

21. Post
    Yeah, Scepters are a lot of reel for the money, great value at half price. I grabbed one a couple of months back from them for that. I like how they have three spools as standard.

Never fished a Rovex rod, but they have a good reputation for a inexpensive brand. Might lack the power to cast out heavier sinkers and bigger baits.

22. Post
    Got myself a new toy to play with. A Penn Conquer spinning reel. Keen to see how it goes.

http://www.discountfishingsupplies.c...ze-p-4441.html

23. Post
    lol nice. re fish size i personally keep the 35-45cm range as best for eating, but i dont believe there's any study that shows larger snapper specimens breed or produce more fish than any other spawning fish...

24. Post
    These even a few very nicely priced Quantum Cabo on trademe, but I do not need another reel in that size... I did not even need the Penn

25. Post
    I wrote this up for another forum, but going to post it here also.

Spinning for trout is not only a whole lot of fun but also a very effective way to catch them. A competent spin fisherman should be able to out fish all but the top streamer fishermen and they do not have back casts to worry about. There are hundreds of spinning lures available, and even more colour and size variations and most if not all of them can catch fish. Below are my favorite trout lures, these are the ones I use most often.

#5 Floating Rapala
    This lure has been around for years and is still one of the most effective on the market. Rapala has since released alternatives such as the floating x-rap but I still prefer the original. This is quite a strategic lure to use, its very light weight makes it difficult to cast even on light gear, but the same light weight allows it to float. This is a excellent lure to fish around structure, either submerged trees or patches of weeds. Cast it out, and it floats, start to retrieve and it darts downwards, get to a obstacle, stop winding and it returns to the surface, gently encourage it over the obstacle then start the retrieve again. Trout also prefer to prowl beneath overhanging trees, often in areas where it is impossible to cast. The floating Rapala can solve this. This technique only works under specific conditions. If these a current, cast out and allow the lure to be carried by the current, it would pivot around and would be carried beneath the canopy and would be parallel to the bank. Then start the retrieve. There are plenty of Alternatives, and the Storm Wildeye is a very effective lure, but I get way to many gill hook ups so discontinued using them.

My Favorite sizes are F3 and F5. Colour depends on river condition. So When the river is clear go for natural colours, when dirty can go for something bright like fire tiger. At night can try a dark colour for better contrast.

#4 Indiana Blade spinner.
    These are sold under many different brands, the most famous being Mepps or Veltic. The cheaper options are often made from soft wires so would bend with the first strike. These are my preferred choice for fishing braided rivers. Cast upstream and across and use a fairly steady retrieve, the little blade spins around giving off lots of flash and vibrations. In deeper, slower water allow it to sink for a while before retrieve, in slow water the trout have more time for a closer look so a faster retrieve can be beneficial. When the blade is spinning, and the lure is being correctly fished there should be a slight vibration on the rod tip.

They came in many different sizes, colours and finishes. My preferences are quite clear, I find the tiny ones to light to cast, so I stick with size #2 and #3, they are heavy enough to get decent distance. With regards to colour I like using bright, either orange/black or blue/silver seems to work well. The smallest size is suppose to be good for stream trout but I find tiny Rapala's are more effective.

#3 Yo-Zuri Mag Minnow
    This lure has a lot in common with the Floating Rapala, and can be fished in a similar fashion. The main difference is the magnet weight transfer system, when casting the weight goes to the back of the lure allowing for extra distance, when retrieving the weight is locked to the bottom providing improved balance. This is my go to lure when I want to fish a floating lure but can not get the distance with the floating Rapala. There are alternatives, one being the discontinued Rapala LC which is also a excellent lure along with a better colour selection but the Mag Minnow seems to cast further.

I have found, in the larger sizes correct tuning and balance is less important so even the significantly cheaper Chinese alternatives can be worth fishing. They are a good option for fishing around structure.

#2 Rapala Husky Jerk
    These are slightly larger lures, they contain internal ball bearings to allow improved casting distance (not quite as good as the dedicated distance options above) and to give off a rattle while being retrieved. The big secret of this lure is its suspending action. When on the retrieve it dives down like the floating options above, but when the retrieve stops the lure stops and suspends mid-water. This sudden freeze can trigger the strike instinct on a chasing trout making it one deadly lure.

#1 Rapala CountDown
    The CD is a excellent lure, cast it out and then it starts to sink at a fairly predictable rate of 30cm/ Sec. So if the water is about 2 meters deep and the fish are holding deep it can be cast out, allowing to sink for 5 seconds before starting the retrieve with the knowledge that the lure is running near the bottom. To make this lure even better is its relatively heavy weight, the tiny CD01 can outcast most comparably sizes lures. So when distance, and a small lure is required these are the best option I have tried which catch fish.

My favorite option is the tiny CD01, which casts like a bullet and uses only a single treble hook so it snags less weed. Good for fishing in weedy spring creeks, cast out into a channel, let sink before doing a quick retrieve, flick it across any weed then allow it to sink and retrieve again. The slightly larger CD03 is another excellent lure, the action might be slightly better although the double treble hooks catch much more weeds. Could remove one of the trebles but that changes the action.

For more information (including pictures) on many more Spinners and how to fish them I recommended "Trolling & Spin Fishing for Trout" by Allan Burgess
    http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/Assets/T...g-Splash-2.htm