1. Post

E3 Day 0: A kiwi gamer's impressions

BLOG by Gerard Campbell

Probably the most memorable thing from todayís Microsoft press conference was the reveal of the Natal, the motion sensitive device that Microsoft has been working on. Lionheadís Peter Molyneux said it will revolutionise the gaming industry, and it has the backing of Hollywood director Steven Spielberg.

While itís true that Molyneux has a bit of a reputation for talking things up before theyíve reached gamersí hands, if Natal really works as Microsoft showed doing, it could be pretty impressive by the time it's unleashed upon the world.

During todayís demo of Natal, a woman on stage knocked down blocks and kicked back balls, stacked up against a wall, all by jumping up and down, and waving her head, arms and legs around. In another demo, a man used a virtual painting program, where he gestured as if he was throwing paint on a canvas, to make an African scene complete with baby elephant (created through the use of two people and a couple of pillows).

Continue reading

2. Post
    Don't want to sound too downbeat, but so far it gets a bit of a 'meh' from me. Peter Molyneux and Steven Spielburg? Lol, hope MS knows what they're doing.

Not many 'big titles' revealed so far, but I suppose most people know what's coming out already.

I guess I'm amped for AVP, and whatever Valve are currently working on (other than L4D2)

Old Republic may get me to buy another MMORPG, but I'm still sore from SW:Galaxies.

3. Post
    Gerard Campbell, he writes for the Press doesn't he? I like his stuff.

Nothing spectacular for me today. Mo Cap via camera is old stuff, good to see solid implementation though. Also good to see MSG going multiplatform - All 3rd Parties should follow suit. tbh though, nothing really awesome game out of MS's conference. I guess if you're a die hard Halo fan you'd disagree :P

4. Post
    Natal looks good. Definitely looking forward to it, if they can get it to work. If this comes out within the next year it'll be pretty damn significant imo.

5. Post
    exis wrote:
    Natal looks good. Definitely looking forward to it, if they can get it to work.
    There's a write up on IGN from someone who demoed it at e3. Said it worked extremely well, he played Burnout on it straight of the disc no modifications. It's sounding sweeter each time I hear about it.

6. Post
    NZ_InFerno wrote:
    There's a write up on IGN from someone who demoed it at e3. Said it worked extremely well, he played Burnout on it straight of the disc no modifications. It's sounding sweeter each time I hear about it.
    Yeah, I'm pretty optimistic about it. It's just that experience with amazing new developments in technology has taught me to be cautious about hoping for too much. The scanning of that kids board in the MS conference trailer? I'd be surprised if things worked so smooth. But if they can at least begin with a basic working functional version, I would be very, very happy.

7. Post
    NZ_InFerno wrote:
    Here's the link you're talking about.

http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/989/989269p1.html

Looks very promising.

8. Post
    I think the only thing that can really be faulted is that there isnt a lot of exclusive stuff for this year. Forza 3 and ODST are the only exclusives that come to mind, and that isnt really going to compete against a sony line up that will possibly consist of GT5, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 etc etc.

But as expected and predicted it was fairly conservative and fairly predictable. But I was impressed with Peter's presentation and if it does turn out as planned could be pretty amazing...

9. Post

10. Post
    Just be aware, real AI interaction is simply not going to happen this generation, and probably not for several generations to come. That whole thing was scripted, or at least meticulously planned.

For interesting reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artific...Problems_of_AI

Specifically the issue that a real understanding by AI is not possible unless the world is explicitly limited:
    The sentences "We gave the monkeys the bananas because they were hungry" and "We gave the monkeys the bananas because they were over-ripe" have the same surface grammatical structure. However, the pronoun they refers to monkeys in one sentence and bananas in the other, and it is impossible to tell which without a knowledge of the properties of monkeys and bananas.
    (If anyone here happens to read PA and finds this familiar, it's because I had this particular argument thrown at me fairly recently).

11. Post
    Greedy says
    I think the only thing that can really be faulted is that there isnt a lot of exclusive stuff for this year. Forza 3 and ODST are the only exclusives that come to mind, and that isnt really going to compete against a sony line up that will possibly consist of GT5, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 etc etc
    Difference is though, Forza 3 is playable at the show and has a release date of Oct 09 promised while GT5 was CGI and no date at all mentioned. Halo 3: ODST is Sept 22nd 2009 and God of War 3 is March 2010. Quite a few of MS's showings are games coming out this year including Splinter Cell (Exclusive) while most of Sonys were all but names, Agent (Rockstar) which, from what I've gathered, had nothing shown and the new game from Team ICO which had no images nor footage. Yes, ok so Uncharted is promised this year sometime but it's not really a contest when competing against a line up with one another when release dates are mentioned for big key titles from one company and aren't from another.

12. Post
    Greedy wrote:
    I think the only thing that can really be faulted is that there isnt a lot of exclusive stuff for this year. Forza 3 and ODST are the only exclusives that come to mind, and that isnt really going to compete against a sony line up that will possibly consist of GT5, Uncharted 2, God of War 3 etc etc.
    GT5, God of War 3 and Heavy rain have all been delayed until next year, the only big exclusive they have this year is Uncharted 2.

13. Post
    Yes well in my defence the statement was before the conference (I did say "possibly" ) and essentially would have been what I would have done were i running sony. Oh well opportunity lost...if they could have snuck in GT5 before xmas it could have been a deal breaker, but possibly too little too late.

14. Yelling
    Cpt.Crowbar wrote:
    Gerard Campbell, he writes for the Press doesn't he? I like his stuff.
    Thanks, but you flatter me too much. Oh, all right then, I accept your praise And, yeah, I do write for The Press.

15. Post
    Yeah I like GC stuff too. Informative, honest and entertaining. Keep it coming.

16. Post
    I'm a little bit underwhelmed by alan wake. The thing has been in development for so long I was thinking it'd be something special.