1. Mad

dvi hdmi port, no audio

What massive design flaw to have the av/hd cable right beside the HDMI port.

I've taken the casing off both cables so they can slot in together, however now I have the problem where if I plug the av/hd cable in, the monitor loses its signal and goes blank. If I take the av/hd cable out, the screen returns. So now I can either play with no sound with vision or play with sound without the monitor.

anyone else experience this bull as well when they connect the xbox to a computer monitor? Or am I a special case?

2. Post
    you mean the switch at the plug saying tv or hd? yea i've tried that. Every time I connect the hd/av cable, the xbox restarts.

Meh might just wing it and get a vga cable tomorrow. Will the VGA cable affect the quality?

edit: also why does the xbox360 have a heap of usb ports?

3. Post
    Just wondering. Its highly unlikely but I've got a similar setup on one of my consoles and just looking at it the component cable has a metal casing (after removing the initial case). If your hdmi-dvi cable is the same the metal could potentially be causing some kind of interference.

I dunno if that is it the cause of your problems but it will do no harm double checking

4. Post
    you mean this?

http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/X...Cable/1565947/

I'm a bit worried that the same problem will happen again, since the monitor ****s up as so as soon as you plug it in.

Will google this for the rest of the night, if I can't find anything i'm just gonna get the dam cable. It's set to rain over the weekend and I'm intent on finding out what happens in halo3 after waiting all these years.

5. Post
    MS. wrote:
    Just wondering. Its highly unlikely but I've got a similar setup on one of my consoles and just looking at it the component cable has a metal casing (after removing the initial case). If your hdmi-dvi cable is the same the metal could potentially be causing some kind of interference.

I dunno if that is it the cause of your problems but it will do no harm double checking
    Yea it was one of my earlier theories, I insulated it with duct tape and it still won't work

6. Post

I basically followed that website you linked

this is the monitor

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspeci...?ItemID=371605

7. Post
    its a dvi cable, the other end is not a hdmi plug.

My last theory and that I must've scrapped the exposed wires on the hdmi when I stripped it. Its along shot but its all I have left.

8. Post
    Yea vga cable seems like a safe bet atm. I was gonna get street fighter with that money dammit!

thanks for the help anyway!

9. Post
    I suspect that the xbox is detecting that the xbox video/sound adapter cable is connected and so diverts video to that instead. That is why when you buy the official HDMI cable (or get the Elite) it comes with just a sound adapter cable so when you plug it in it knows not to divert video to that output. See what I mean?

VGA adapter should do the trick nicely.