1. Arrow
    NEWS by Egor - http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/133...n-development/

Here's today's roundup of top stories from elsewhere on the internet:

OnLive closes its biggest round of funding so far (GamesIndustry.biz) - Gamers might consider the service to be vapourware that will never get off the ground, but apparently some big corporations have faith in it. Cloud gaming service OnLive has closed a "major round of funding" from AT&T, Autodesk, Warner Bros, Lauder Partners and Maverick Capital. OnLive CEO Steve Perlman said the funding an undisclosed amount was much larger than previous rounds and "gives us a serious jolt of rocket fuel" as the company prepares to launch its on-demand gaming service this summer. It began beta testing in September.

Australian authorities split over video game ratings (News.com.au) - The recent decision by Australia's censorship board to refuse classification of zombie shooter sequel Left 4 Dead 2 (Valve is appealing the decision) has highlighted Australia's broken ratings system, which tops out at MA15+ for video games. Bringing in an R18+ rating would require all of Australia's attorneys-general to agree, but South Australian Attorney-General Michael Atkinson is holding out. He said the interactive nature of video games meant they had a much greater influence than viewing a film or reading a book.

Sony plays down PSPgo retail concerns (GamesIndustry.biz) - Sony Computer Entertainment has moved to play down concerns from some sections of the retail sector surrounding the imminent launch of its PSPgo handheld, telling GamesIndustry.biz that most companies "were really quite fine with it". A number of retailers have refused to stock the device because of its digital download-only nature (meaning they can't sell any games for it), but Sony said they knew this might happen and there were actually less negative responses than they expected.

Dead Space 2 development starting in 'next few months' (GameSpot) - The day after the Wii spin-off Dead Space Extraction shipped, news has surfaced about the next installment in the main Dead Space series. A job listing posted by Visceral Games, Electronic Arts' recently rebranded Redwood Shores studio, reveals that development on a follow-up to the acclaimed 2008 original will begin shortly.

Modern Warfare 2 map pack due spring 2010 (GameSpot) - Activision Blizzard certainly knows a thing or two about hauling in cash, as evidenced by the publisher's billion-dollar April-June quarter. In a post-earnings call, Activision Publishing president and CEO Mike Griffith tipped off investors and analysts as to how it plans to extend Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2's sales beyond the game's rapidly approaching November 10 release, saying that the game will get a pair of map packs post-launch.

2. Post
    Is it software piracy if the game is banned?

3. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Yes.

It's nice to see that EA are putting out another Dead Space. I never played the first, but it's nice to see that EA felt the original was successful enough to warrant this. And it bodes well - if EA is seeing good returns on fresh IP's, they're going to be more likely to take a gamble on more fresh IP's in future.

Hopefully we'll see another Mirror's Edge eventually too. The feedback on that was resoundingly "more platforming, less gunplay". If they simply iterated on the good parts of that game I would be all over it.

4. Post
    And you'd probably be breaking additional laws too.

5. Post
    exis wrote:
    It's nice to see that EA are putting out another Dead Space. I never played the first, but it's nice to see that EA felt the original was successful enough to warrant this. And it bodes well - if EA is seeing good returns on fresh IP's, they're going to be more likely to take a gamble on more fresh IP's in future.
    The article does say that Dead Space only sold 36,000 copies on PC in the states, which is pretty disappointing. May mean the sequel doesn't make it to PC. The job advert says it's only for PS3 and 360.

6. Post
    Egor wrote:
    The article does say that Dead Space only sold 36,000 copies on PC in the states, which is pretty disappointing. May mean the sequel doesn't make it to PC. The job advert says it's only for PS3 and 360.
    Well who knows. They could be planning on a half-arsed port somewhere down the line, ie. GTA IV .

7. Post
    Additional laws yes. But in theory they couldn't use the "deprivation of earnings" argument.

8. Post
    They could if they make any other games that you could have bought instead.

9. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Additional laws yes. But in theory they couldn't use the "deprivation of earnings" argument.
    It's still breach of copyright.

10. Post
    How many lan matches do you see coming to blows?

Sports create more violence then gaming, lets ban contact sports.

Arrrr, I can be as retarded as a South Australian Attorney-General, you may soon see me running for the position.

Felt good tbh, I can see why he does it.

11. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    Even if it isn't, it would just be argued that the US (or where ever) would have jurisdiction because that's where the game was pirated.

12. Post
    So how healthy is this Michael Atkinson? the only way Australia's going to get an R18 rating is if this guy steps down and someone with half a brain gets involved... Australia's doomed.

13. Post

Aussie gamers have so many reasons to hurt this guy its not funny.

14. Post
    Atkinson is a ****ing idiot. Surely he's seen the research that there is no co-relation between the Violence & Video Games and is just choosing to be a ****wad for other reasons.

15. Post
    Infuriation wrote:
    Atkinson is a ****ing idiot. Surely he's seen the research that there is no co-relation between the Violence & Video Games and is just choosing to be a ****wad for other reasons.
    Which is why he's blocking an enquiry on the opinion of Australians concerning the matter. God forbid the opinions of the general public be taken into account!

16. Post
    Infuriation wrote:
    Atkinson is a ****ing idiot. Surely he's seen the research that there is no co-relation between the Violence & Video Games
    No, I dare say he hasn't, and doesn't want to, and wouldn't believe it if he did.

17. Post
    Caring about Aussie, lol

Dead Space 2 woo hoo!

18. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Caring about Aussie, lol

Dead Space 2 woo hoo!
    I'm excited but weary already. For a pussy like me it is a stressful game :P

19. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Caring about Aussie, lol

Dead Space 2 woo hoo!
    We tend to get the same copies of games that Aussie does. So when content is stripped out to appease the Australian rating system, we miss out. It affects us pretty directly.

20. Post
    The lack of the rating makes Australia look like it's trapped in the stone age. I knew it would come down to one high-horse guy who's trying to be the next Jack Thompson and is successfully earning himself a similarly (and deservingly) bad reputation. To say that *not* having a rating actually PROTECTS children is backwards. The idea of having a rating and classification system is that you can give easy to identify labels that help people understand what content they and their kids should be playing as well as what type of content you can expect from that game called Grand Theft Auto with all the funny pictures on the front. Depriving parents of this type of information is not protecting kids. Timothy is just going to torrent the game if he can't get it in store by twisting his parents' arms. Nowadays, so is dad if he can't get it either.

I'm sure lacking an R18 rating makes content that would be more suitable for a game of higher rating probably slinks its way into MA15+ rated games anyway. Atkinson can toot his own horn when he pays someone to come up with bogus research about 'the sudden rise in juvenile violence' and how it 'links to the R18 rating' once it is introduced. He's likely to be taken far more seriously than now, being the only person in the entire country against a rating that almost every other country has already. It's an abuse of power to block it, hopefully someone will get a clue and fire him.

21. Post
    Egor wrote:
    "He said the interactive nature of video games meant they had a much greater influence than viewing a film or reading a book."
    They always bring out this line when a game get's banned/refused classification but are there actually any case studies that prove this? or is it just something that sounds probable so they say it to back up their point of view O_o

22. Post
    exis wrote:
    We tend to get the same copies of games that Aussie does. So when content is stripped out to appease the Australian rating system, we miss out. It affects us pretty directly.
    I buy everything online these days, preferably through Steam.

This means I get NA versions iirc.

Anyhow, I can't remember the last time the Oz classification system has affected me, besides Manhunt on PSX.

23. Post
    Bt wrote:

Anyhow, I can't remember the last time the Oz classification system has affected me, besides Manhunt on PSX.
    Try owning a console.

24. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Grand Theft Auto IV?

25. Post
    Bt wrote:

I think the biggest impact is on online games where little old NZ can't support a player base and/or servers by itself.
    No game in AU = No players in AU = No servers in AU = Small number of players in NZ = No servers in NZ = you just got impacted