What did you do to your car today?

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 29,651 to 29,675 of 29861

1. Post
    nile wrote:
    That size I'd be looking at Dunlop ZII Star Spec (idk if a newer version has come out), fantastic tyres and a step up from RE002/3 (haven't tried Eagle F1), might be a bit more hardcore than what you want but you should be able to get them for $190 (maybe less) without much haggling.
    Thanks will look into them. Just want something decent, but not silly money decent. Don't have the power for that level.

2. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    This should be good.

Define best.
    *The ones that have the best balance of wet/dry/straight-line/cornering performance for your budget and durability tolerances.

It's common for people to push what they know themselves irrespective of the individual in question's situation -- this isn't what I'm trying to get at.

E.g. down south this might mean a set of summer and a set of winter tyres, and for NI a good set of UHP summer tyres would likely be ideal for spirited driving sans commuting. It really comes down to the individual what is best, the point is, if you can afford to spring the extra $40-50 or whatever to go from something like an RE003 to a ZII and don't mind they might only last 75% as long and live in an area where it's almost never going to be icy.. Whereas a taxi driver wouldn't be driving 'spiritedly' so would have different requirements, and so on.

If that doesn't make sense to you, the tldr is that best depends on the person who will use the tyres, so to ask for a fixed definition is foolish.

3. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Thanks will look into them. Just want something decent, but not silly money decent. Don't have the power for that level.
    They seem to be decent value at that price point cause honda cup and maybe 2k cup runs them in that size (maybe it's 195/55 R15, can't remember) since they have a durability requirement that means semis are illegal.

4. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    Yeah. Last time someone pulled out infront of me from a side road while on the open road I only half braked as I wouldn't want to be pushing the grip limits.....
    Yea I mean imagine everyone not running around on $500+ tires.
    Everyone must crash all the time.

5. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    Yea I mean imagine everyone not running around on $500+ tires.
    Everyone must crash all the time.
    What size does a good tyre (UHP if you want to be pedantic) cost $500+? What size do you think is common? Do you pay for car insurance even though you don't crash all the time?

6. Post
    Can't use price to determine anything without full tyre specs. $300 gets a competition 15" tyre. Same price probably gets a middle of the road 19" tyre. A high spec 19" tyre could well be a grand. A quick look suggests 20" has $500-900 as options, nothing cheaper.

7. Post
    nile wrote:
    *The ones that have the best balance of wet/dry/straight-line/cornering performance for your budget and durability tolerances.

It's common for people to push what they know themselves irrespective of the individual in question's situation -- this isn't what I'm trying to get at.

E.g. down south this might mean a set of summer and a set of winter tyres, and for NI a good set of UHP summer tyres would likely be ideal for spirited driving sans commuting. It really comes down to the individual what is best, the point is, if you can afford to spring the extra $40-50 or whatever to go from something like an RE003 to a ZII and don't mind they might only last 75% as long and live in an area where it's almost never going to be icy.. Whereas a taxi driver wouldn't be driving 'spiritedly' so would have different requirements, and so on.

If that doesn't make sense to you, the tldr is that best depends on the person who will use the tyres, so to ask for a fixed definition is foolish.
    So the most wishy washy answer you could come up with.

Way to prove my point for me

8. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    So the most wishy washy answer you could come up with.

Way to prove my point for me
    If by wishy washy you mean providing an example and an explanation, then i don't know what to say... just lmao troll confirmed

9. Post
    You gave a blah blah blah whatever you can afford, after I said spending big $$$ is a waste.
    You essentially said, the best is whatever I think it is for my situation.

I'm not saying that performance tires don't have a place, I'm saying 99.99% of the time they are a waste of money for daily use.

Gimmie cheap shitty ATR Sport 2's any day.
    Coped well enough with 300+kw and me driving like a munter and didn't disintegrate after a month.

10. Post
    Oh no, not the tyre debate again. ATR Sport 2 is where it's at

11. Post
    Been super lazy about pulling this out, only taken me three month doing little bits here and there:

12. Post
    nile wrote:
    might be a bit more hardcore than what you want but you should be able to get them for $190 (maybe less) without much haggling.
    I think my 15" Z1's were about $250/corner, and 17" Z2's were about $270/corner.

I believe Z3's are out now.

They're a good tyre, but depending on your car, might be a bit noisy on daily duties. Nothing like as bad as a Direzza semi (which sound like you're driving a tractor), but there is an increase in road noise for sure.

13. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    I think my 15" Z1's were about $250/corner, and 17" Z2's were about $270/corner.

I believe Z3's are out now.

They're a good tyre, but depending on your car, might be a bit noisy on daily duties. Nothing like as bad as a Direzza semi (which sound like you're driving a tractor), but there is an increase in road noise for sure.
    I think retail 195/55/15 was around $210 for the Z2 when I got them but that might be a special case being a Honda cup size. Yeah that and no sound deadening is pretty noisy.

14. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    Yeah. Last time someone pulled out infront of me from a side road while on the open road I only half braked as I wouldn't want to be pushing the grip limits.....
    ****, what a great rebuttal.

15. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Gotta pay the cost to be the boss eh.... even with tyres it seems. What size rims, 20's or something close?
    21"

Yer, it's not the end of the world, but would have liked them to last a bit longer. Internet research tells me that some others have had similar issues with the same vehicle. Making some low-key inquiries with Continental and Mercedes to see if this is truly representative and/or if there is a better alternative.

16. Post
    I suspect you need to get someone who really knows about alignment on that sort of vehicle to have a look at it. Factory specs don't necessarily work well on that sort of vehicle here

17. Post
    Bought a slightly scruffy tow hack off a car yard, with a mechanical report (done by a car inspection company).

Couple of minor, easy to remedy faults became apparent in the following week of driving it around ... maybe $500 worth to put everything right, to make the car match up with the inspection report supplied. Doesn't reflect amazingly well on the inspection company, however, not the end of the world.

Email dealer. First reply is "it didn't have the fault". To which I replied, that yep, it does, do you want your inspection people to have another look and evaluate?

Dealer replies "return car and we will refund your money".

Hmmmmm, okay, that seems like a *slight* over reaction.

18. Mad
    Disinfo wrote:
    I suspect you need to get someone who really knows about alignment on that sort of vehicle to have a look at it. Factory specs don't necessarily work well on that sort of vehicle here
    Yer, I'll continue to investigate. Had a wheel alignment done with new tyres fitted.

Just had a chat with Continental Tyres in Aus and they are familiar with this query / complaint about this vehicle eating front tyres, so it seems it's about "normal".

Will be extra studious in checking / maintaining the tyre pressures over the next 6mo and look and try another brand when they next need replacing.

19. Post
    Last week or so have put front lip on the b4, made a custom grille, new wheels and tyres. GFB response bov. New oil and filter and ordered some wheel bearings.
    Going to attempt either a 7" tablet install or double din Android unit into it. Going to be a mission either way

20. Post
    Double din android would probably be easier? Third gens have the standard din sizing and mount plates

21. Post
    or if its 4th gen you can get a new faceplate which has a double din.

22. Post
    Konev wrote:
    or if its 4th gen you can get a new faceplate which has a double din.
    4th gen but I'm not paying $600 for a fascia kit

23. Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scosche-SU2...-/291719361013

theya re a shitload cheaper than that, shop around for them. If its a 2004 then your biggest hassle will be the odd wireing for the stearing wheel controls.

24. Post
    Konev wrote:

theya re a shitload cheaper than that, shop around for them. If its a 2004 then your biggest hassle will be the odd wireing for the stearing wheel controls.
    Cheers! Didn't even think of that

25. Post
    Konev wrote:

And yep it's a 2004 have had a look at eBay and don't list any for the 04 McIntosh one.