What did you do to your car today?

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 27,451 to 27,475 of 27690

1. Post
    han16 wrote:
    Yep the PS3's have been top notch on the Volvo, PS4's feel fantastic on the E55 too.

Alignment etc done this morning after having the new tyres fitted.
    How much the PS4s set you back and from where? PM if you like.

2. Post
    had planned to give the escudo it's first tarmac motokhana on sunday, had pumped the back tyres up to 55psi & changed the diff oil in prep. forecast was for hot & sunny, 25 degrees. just about ideal. unfortunately had to work sunday instead, because im the new guy at work. short straw...

so spent 10.5hrs inside an offal processing plant with my crane truck, lifting steel frames for a wall. was bloody painful to watch, tbh. there were only 6 frames, they were being welded to an existing wall to raise it 5m. unfortunately neither engineer had thought to check the wall for level before they made the frames, and were subsequently ****ed once they twigged that it changed by +/- 6 inches along it's 15m length. eventually after much head scratching and discussion, they finally decided to set up a stringline above and work to that instead.

still averaged 1.5hrs per frame, for the sake of four welds on each. they had to be perfectly straight, level and true, no exceptions.

there's only one thing worse than missing racing to work with a perfectionist inside a working offal plant on a stinking hot day, and that's missing racing to work inside an offal plant with two of the buggers i had to just bite my tongue even though i knew full well what to do to fix it - we charge by the hour. im just the crane driver.

bradc wrote:
    Tell you what I did to my car today, same thing I do most days. I climbed inside her for about an hour and took to heaven and back. I treat her bad, don't clean her, barely maintain her, but I've put 10,000 miles on this 50 year old vehicle in a year and she hasn't let me down yet.
    you're a sick man, brad, but i can respect you for that...
    Last edited by 4wd; 18th October 2017 at 12:07 am.

3. Post
    also, random interest: shifted a fairly big chookhouse 85km for a private customer yesterday.

get plenty of variety with this job

4. Post
    Put an rsr exhaust on the wagon yesterday. Not sure if ill ditch it and go back to stock yet. I love the sound but at the same time i feel like a Muppet. Its not offensively loud but it does have a decent rumble.

Under boost it sounds brilliant though

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

5. Post
    Dropped off some wheels to get blasted and painted, the guy was awesome, even offered to wait around after closing to let me drop them off after work

They use the Shank style lug nuts, so now I also need to find a set of M12xP1.5mm lugs and locking nuts for em, and also some rubber for em, the arrived with rubber that was worn through so they wouldn't hold air hahaha

6. Post
    Those are some tired tyres.

How much are you paying to have the wheels blasted and painted? I thought about stripping the chrome from mine and going something a bit less appealing to magpies.

7. Post
    Yeah they were track tiers for sure, and they got a final burnout when they were no longer track worthy :P

Paying $100 a wheel, some people might balk at this, but I'm not worried, they're getting blasted, curbing fixed, primed, painted with good quality paint, baked, and new valves fitted, I don't have to lift a finger as such, they showed me some different wheels they were working on and the finished result looked awesome, so I'm happy to pay for a good job

And they're local, which makes it even easier

8. Post
    $100 seems pretty good.

I pulled my rear shocks out to get new top hats made so I can lift it a bit higher, one came out easy the other one had the bottom bolt get stuck and i snapped the 1/2" to 3/8" adapter piece i was using on my strong bar to 17mm socket. Bought some penetr8 stuff and a 1/2" long 17mm socket and got it out.

Also dropped my sandwich plate off to get one of the holes redrilled bigger to fit my oil temp sensor.

Slowly getting closer to being done for race season, just over a month to go.

9. Post
    i dont think thats unreasonable personally, i paid more than that to get my ce28-GRNs redone, admittedly theyre a 2 piece rim but still a jobs worth what the customer is willing to pay. if theyre worth spending 100 bucks per rim on then thats all thats important.

10. Post
    Concurr, $100 isn't bad at all if it's a decent job.

11. Post
    Got a new double din head unit for the wagon. It doesn't fit!

Sent from my MX4 Pro using Tapatalk

12. Post
    csikh wrote:
    Do the people who install your tyres also do the alignment for you? or do people normally take them elsewhere, for whatever reason?
    Most tyre shops also do alignments, Howick Tyres where I went does both. http://www.howicktyres.co.nz/

13. Post
    Ordered some Work wheels for the bimmer today.

ETA march 2018

14. Post
    What model and size?

15. Post
    18" Emotion M8R

16. Post
    T1nman wrote:
    18" Emotion M8R
    Where'd you order them from?

17. Post
    1randomkiwi wrote:
    Where'd you order them from?
    Hyper is sorting them out for me. I had a friend enquire with WORK in Japan and their backlog is pretty heavy at the moment.

18. Post
    T1nman wrote:
    Hyper is sorting them out for me. I had a friend enquire with WORK in Japan and their backlog is pretty heavy at the moment.
    What are Hyper like to deal with these days? I've heard mixed experiences.
    Really just want a shop that's happy for me to test fit something before ordering/buying.

19. Post
    I don't live in Auckland so its all been email correspondence. They cut me a good deal for wheels & tyres ($400 less than what i had been quoted elsewhere).

20. Post
    Also live outside of Auckland so I’ve found Hyper good for tyres and rims as I can select the installer from a selection of local workshops and always have had fitting and balancing done free

21. Post
    Had my car in at the mechanics for two days, they were unable to find the problem and understandably charged $100 for labor. FeelsBadMan

22. Post
    I had that happen once with Ebbet Prestige in Hamilton; "Oh it could be this, or this, or that, the other, or possibly this - we're not really sure, but that'll be $248 please".

I hit the f**kin roof! They went over the car with a fine tooth comb, then quoted me $7K to fix all the issues. Turned out it was just the Electronic Throttle Module that a lot of Volvos had issues with. Got a reco'd one for $1200.

Rage against that shit man! If they can't tell you what's wrong with it, they shouldn't be charging you.

23. Post
    My Soarer sat at an auto sparky for over a week once with a no start issue, they eventually found it was a relay for the cars fuel pump. Charged me $250 all up, I even asked shouldn't it be more? "We can't charge you for all that time" GC's.

24. Post
    han16 wrote:
    My Soarer sat at an auto sparky for over a week once with a no start issue, they eventually found it was a relay for the cars fuel pump. Charged me $250 all up, I even asked shouldn't it be more? "We can't charge you for all that time" GC's.
    And that is how you get repeat customers.

25. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I had that happen once with Ebbet Prestige in Hamilton; "Oh it could be this, or this, or that, the other, or possibly this - we're not really sure, but that'll be $248 please".

I hit the f**kin roof! They went over the car with a fine tooth comb, then quoted me $7K to fix all the issues. Turned out it was just the Electronic Throttle Module that a lot of Volvos had issues with. Got a reco'd one for $1200.

Rage against that shit man! If they can't tell you what's wrong with it, they shouldn't be charging you.
    Yeah I was certainly reluctant to pay it. Although the problem I've had isn't showing itself a week after I've had the car serviced... I'd love to know what it was though.