What did you do to your car today?

Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
(5 votes)
Results 30,426 to 30,450 of 30633

1. Post
    Surely it easy enough to grab another caliper from pick a part or the likes?

2. Post
    AnotherLeon wrote:
    Return it to sender?

This isn't me being sarcastic (for a change), it's a genuine question, as I don't recall how it was purchased.
    It's from Winger Maserati. I'm not sure what the onus is after 5-6 months and 4000km? What does everyone thing is "fair" in this situation? It certainly takes the shine off of dream car ownership.

So far it's had a bung alternator and busted a coolant hose. I have done tyres and engine mounts. Winger also did the cam variator job ($15k) before selling it to me.

Time for a Camry?

3. Post
    It seems like faults are a feature, but I would be sending it back to the dealer to get it fixed in the first instance. I'm going to guess it wasn't a low dollar purchase and the faults weren't listed in the sales sheet.

If they don't play ball over the phone, send them a letter. Paper trails tend to make things happen quicker.

https://www.consumerprotection.govt....es-car-dealer/

Generally speaking, if there is a fault with your car after purchase, and it’s not your fault, you can go back to the dealer to claim under the manufacturer’s warranty or under the CGA guarantees.

Although some dealers may state otherwise, there is no set time limit, eg one month, you have to return a faulty car or ask for faults to be repaired.

Under the CGA, whether a dealer is responsible depends on:

the age, type, price and condition of the vehicle at the time of purchase
    whether or not the fault is due to reasonable wear and tear
    whether a reasonable person would accept the quality and condition of the vehicle.
    If the fault is serious, eg it can’t be repaired for a reasonable cost, you can reject the vehicle. By rejecting the vehicle, you can get a refund or a replacement of the same or similar vehicle.

You must tell the dealer you are rejecting the vehicle within a reasonable amount of time.

If a faulty vehicle has caused damage to your property, you can also claim compensation.

Read more about Faulty products.
    Handy email templates: https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/letters-about-cars

4. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    It's from Winger Maserati. I'm not sure what the onus is after 5-6 months and 4000km? What does everyone thing is "fair" in this situation? It certainly takes the shine off of dream car ownership.

So far it's had a bung alternator and busted a coolant hose. I have done tyres and engine mounts. Winger also did the cam variator job ($15k) before selling it to me.

Time for a Camry?
    if the car has been consistently faulty, I'd consider that reasonable grounds.

How much time has the car spent at the stealership being fixed, and how much is this new fault likely to cost you several limbs? Throw that into a mathematical equation (so, decide what it's worth to you), and approach the stealership using a reasonable tone of voice (assuming you want out of the car before it bleeds you dry).

See what happens.

Some places are a nightmare to deal with, and some places are reasonable. I had a dealer have a meltdown about getting a rear wiper working, and skimming front discs ... so they got their car back. Other places are good, because they actually care about looking after customers, and the long term reputation of the company.

All that said, I'm a Toyota junkie, so my baseline for cars is that I expect them to work without drama 99.99% of the time.

5. Post
    Suppose it cant hurt to try, but its quite subjective and i wouldn't expect the dealer to keep covering unforeseen failures with no warranty. If they helped cover some of the cost that would be more than reasonable on their part.

In the end its an older Italian exotic car that is known for reliability issues, so imo its the risk you take on when buying and why they are relatively cheap to buy in the first place.

All cars are flawed no matter who makes them, some just more than others.

6. Post
    Out of 6 months it's probably been out of action for 1 month.

The alternator fault definitely existed before I purchased it and was just waiting to die as it had a charging fault when I picked it up. They replaced that no questions asked, didn't pay for the new battery i bought to get the car to them though, as they argue I should have just called them to get it towed in (fair enough I guess).

Coolant hose, they towed the car in and also fixed that no questions.

The clutch is a significant job, something like $7500+.
    Last edited by GorGasm; 11th November 2019 at 2:50 pm.

7. Post
    Eagle wrote:
    Suppose it cant hurt to try, but its quite subjective and i wouldn't expect the dealer to keep covering unforeseen failures with no warranty. If they helped cover some of the cost that would be more than reasonable on their part.
    That is my feeling also as I tend to think of things as my risk. I'm hoping for cost on parts and some sort of deal on parts.

8. Post
    Seems it was potentially just a sensor fault. Clutch has been re-calibrated and it's no longer faulting. It's going on an extended test drive and I'll get it back tomorrow.

Bullet dodged for now, but time to squirrel away some nuts for winter I think.

9. Post
    Protecta insurance anyone used them before? i got insurance on one of my s15s today agreed value of 25k + 5k worth of parts, free glass cover (1 per year) 3 roadside assistance call outs incl towing. 8000 km per year all for........ $424 a year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75341281_435336267171701_1042381819640545280_n.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	227698

10. Post
    GorGasm wrote:
    That is my feeling also as I tend to think of things as my risk. I'm hoping for cost on parts and some sort of deal on parts.
    I had a Trademe dealer bought Mark 5 Golf TDI - I think it saw 6 visits to Giltrap in the 12 months I owned it. Dealer paid for it all. The CGA is a little vague but if it was me, and Id paid Maserati pricing for something, Id be leaning on them for everything fault related for at least the first 9 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Post
    Had a merc in today at work. Not going, found it had rat damage. Chewed up looms etc. Was taking some carpet out when suddenly had a rat attached to my finger. Little bastard took some skin, but he ended up with a screw driver in his head. Interesting day.

#workstories.

12. Post
    I ****ing hate rats

13. Post
    After the drama I had with the car getting hot at the trackday a few weekends ago, decided to have a look into that.
    Pulled thermostat out...

Name:	74505862_539055533586539_6874861379413606400_n.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	227710
    Corrosion all over the shop, cleaned it out and chucked in a new one
    Had a quick (2 second) look and looked like the thermostat was cracked open a little so hopefully cleaning it has sorted that out
    Didn't like the look of how the fan was sitting, probably acting more like a deflector than anything else

Name:	72488066_734132363741491_7437005133113720832_n.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	227711
    So got a 16" Maradyne fan

Name:	73533192_838473273222221_5771943318585868288_n.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	227712
    Will do be doing some for sale sign cutting and wedging at some stage to help direct the air better but should at least see some improvement
    The annoying thing is the only place I can really test it is on the track as it was only getting hot when the boot was right up it, which i'm not too keen on driving on the road like that

14. Post
    Mutton wrote:
    I ****ing hate rats
    They love cars. Keeps them warm. Worse thing is innsurance company got involved. Wants a quote. Almost impossible to quote this. Even after repairing the looms. We don't know if he shorted shit together while he chewed away. Causing more damage to components etc. Fun times.

Can't scan it or nothing cause he chewed all through the can wires.

Bet the insurance company will want to write it off.

15. Post
    Bought a new one, am currently practicing not using indicators, tailgating and generally ignoring every road rule that involves consideration to other road users in order to fit the mold of a ranger owner

16. Post
    Hah, everyone I know who has one of those it is a company vehicle that they thrash.

17. Post
    Yep seems to be the general use case for them, this ones a 2018 so still has the balance of factory warranty left (and an extended mechanical insurance that takes over when that's done) and with less than 40k on the clock its "less" thrashed than most, still smells new inside. I give it 6 months before it smells like farts and doggo and of course doggo farts

18. Post
    Also picked up a new car

19. Post
    I’m a fan of how the rangers look but know of too many people who have had issues with them. even new ones
    Last edited by ilikepie2; 16th November 2019 at 5:46 pm.

20. Post
    Yep there's definitely a few known issues, warranty/insurance was high on my checklist, took me a while to find the right one I had a very fussy checklist

21. Post
    I couldn’t believe it a mate of mine got a 2018 xlt with 25xxx on the clock, within a month it had a new turbo and trans remapped or something along those lines.

Like you say tho having warranty/insurance covers the issues so hope you enjoy it, looks awesome

22. Post
    I think a large part of the issues a lot of people see was noted in the first reply to my post, they're generally driven by a certain type of person that thrashes the shit out of them, yes they have some known possible issues but they're exacerbated by the people who treat them like shit, there's a couple of wtf problems like the rubber intake pipe is prone to bursting but the transmissions being made of glass is made worse by people who drive them in bumper to bumper traffic or binary throttle control abilities

23. Post
    Haha like every car if you treat it like shit it will break. I’ve never understood the treat a ute like a race car but hey each to there own.

24. Post
    Fastest race car in the world is a rental or tradies ute mayyyyyyyte

25. Post
    i gave my ssv a clean and took it out for a drive today. I really need to do some work to it and get it sounding like a real v8.

Don’t want it to be obnoxious but definitely abit of sound