Results 7,026 to 7,050 of 7147

  1. Post
    I actually think the playing quality of Super Smash is comparable to the Big Bash, we just don't have the same level of hype.

    I would love to see a combined competition like Super Rugby but doubt that will ever happen as there is not really anything in for Australia.

  2. Post
    The story is that Sky has secured the All Blacks and Super Rugby until 2025 so they aren't going anywhere.

    So bring on the two subscription era.

  3. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    The story is that Sky has secured the All Blacks and Super Rugby until 2025 so they aren't going anywhere.

    So bring on the two subscription era.
    Any news on the NRL?

  4. Post
    I think Sky has the NRL until 2023 so negotiations for the next agreement probably haven't started yet.

  5. Post
    Few comments as I have missed the whole debacle the last few days. I love spark getting the cricket. But my heart goes out to rural NZ, but now the pressue is on the telcos and governemnt to get internet available everywhere beyond 120 gb.

    I cut sky after my feed died during the semi final of the WC, but I had long resented them well before that. I would pay spark $20 a month for this cricket and more. Get some foreign cricket spark. Like SA home summer! I can free stream on 7 the Aus summer.

    Foxcroft is years away from eligible Wrighty. And we dont need a spinner in Perth or MCG - only SCG - and we have an eligible spinner who knows that ground realllllllllllllllllllllllllly well

    I'm sorry to all rural NZ who are very upset with the Spark news, but I was very happy. I cut sky, and tbh, after a customer of years and yars spending $100 a month, I want a refund. Tbh. They were not value for my money. Ever. Spark is. But it has hurt a lot of farmers. For those now entering dual subscription, you're not. Cut your sky in summer, open your spark in summer. I know many Aussue league fans who have done this for years with foxtel in the league season.

    I personally don't like sky, they were a horrid over priced drain on this economy charging exorbitant prices for not even offering 1080p.

    But as we enter the streaming era, 120gb for farmers is nowhere near enough. Time for the telcos to up their game...

  6. Post
    labcat wrote:
    I think Sky has the NRL until 2023 so negotiations for the next agreement probably haven't started yet.
    They do but the NRL negotiates early. I would happily see spark get next to everthing. Tbh. Vodafone wants to buy sky and is their best freind, but I hope 2 degrees starts bidding on some sports, and I hope farmers get real broadband.

  7. Post
    unit007 wrote:
    Give me the Big Bash over Super Smash any day! The only eyeballs the domestic players care about are Indian scouts for the IPL.

    And dont expect the Spark Sport package to stay at its current price level. They would have paid through the roof for these rights and are now saddled with production costs on top. Would not be surprised if price doubles
    Lol. The Big Bash is 8 teams vs the Super Smash which is 6 teams, where does Aus cricket rank again right now? I lost interest in the Big Bash years ago when Hussey, Warney and Hodgey et al retired. It's crap now. Total crap. Has been ever since the Heat thought a 6+ years retired Flintoff was a talent to sign.

  8. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    The story is that Sky has secured the All Blacks and Super Rugby until 2025 so they aren't going anywhere.

    So bring on the two subscription era.
    In March only? I think youc an live with that.

    The rest of us don't wanna pay $50 on rugby every month that we don't watch...

  9. Post
    Streaming is the future, and the biggest mistake sky ever made was sky go - which we all know was 3 houses using the same account, one on sky normal, and 2 on sky go.

    Sky never adjusted to the streaming era properly. And its bit them on the bum. And I won't lose any tears for them. I don't like them. They were the pits. I spent a small fortune on them. They weren't worth it. I wish I had just used someone else's sky go account like everyone else was.
    Last edited by Paddles; 12th October 2019 at 8:16 am.

  10. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    In March only? I think youc an live with that.

    The rest of us don't wanna pay $50 on rugby every month that we don't watch...
    It won't be March only. I watch many, many sports. Sky is a permanent fixture, and then I'll need to have Spark whenever I need it for Cricket.

    Previously, I needed to pay one subscription only. Paying more, to more people, isn't good. Don't twist your dislike of Sky itself with the reality that what people once got for a certain price they now need to pay more for it dispersed across multiple people. For those that can actually access it. Many can't.

    Anyone who pays Sky 100 a month is doing it wrong. I pay 55 for mysky sport and soho

    If you don't want to watch Rugby this obviously doesn't apply to you. People who only want to watch Cricket, live in areas that have good Internet, have devices ready to stream it will hopefully be OK assuming Spark cope better than they have with the world cup. Except, you'll still need two subs at some points as well. The I only watch Cricket segment of the sporting community is the minority however, it isn't "the rest of us".

    The rest of us, however, watch more than one sport. And there is crossover with those sports. And we'll be spending more money than we were previously. Even if this does not apply to you, it's very easy to see why this is a negative for people who watch multiple sports including Cricket.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 12th October 2019 at 11:13 am.

  11. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    It won't be March only. I watch many, many sports. Sky is a permanent fixture, and then I'll need to have Spark whenever I need it for Cricket.

    Previously, I needed to pay one subscription only. Paying more, to more people, isn't good. Don't twist your dislike of Sky itself with the reality that what people once got for a certain price they now need to pay more for it dispersed across multiple people. For those that can actually access it. Many can't.

    Anyone who pays Sky 100 a month is doing it wrong. I pay 55 for mysky sport and soho

    If you don't want to watch Rugby this obviously doesn't apply to you. People who only want to watch Cricket, live in areas that have good Internet, have devices ready to stream it will hopefully be OK assuming Spark cope better than they have with the world cup. Except, you'll still need two subs at some points as well. The I only watch Cricket segment of the sporting community is the minority however, it isn't "the rest of us".

    The rest of us, however, watch more than one sport. And there is crossover with those sports. And we'll be spending more money than we were previously. Even if this does not apply to you, it's very easy to see why this is a negative for people who watch multiple sports including Cricket.
    Well if Sky is a good and decent broadcaster, now that it has lost the cricket, the F1, the EPL, the WTA and most of the NBA, to Spark, which has a value of $20 a month, will of course offset their sports price package plan. Cos they're offering you less.

    The new sky plans split with sport only came in last year, and those on vodafone had to wait for ages for a split deal, then we lost our free mysky... when it did come in. Vodafone tv is actually the cheapest package deal, but with spark no being a player, Im glad I aint locked in a 12 oe 24 month deal with vodafone as they dragged connected my fibre. I am waiting for a good spark package, I may change my cell phone too.

    If Sky don't price drop, then they're inept greedy, scummy, idiots, and a dinosaur waiting to be made extinct by the telcos getting into media.

    I do feel very very sorry for rural NZ. And I do hope this is a much needed wake up call to the telco's to sort them out better plans. The 120gb a month is lazy, whenever my hone internet goes down, vodafone give me unlimited 4g on my phone to hotspot. I think Spark should - and will - offer unlimited rural 4g for spark sport customers as a compromise.

    I watch a few All Blacks and Wallabies tests a year, I don't care enough about rugby to justify what I have spent on sky sport for cricket, and not even get our domestic t20 games. Let alone Safrican tests. We are in a vpn stream generation now. And high priced pay tv content is not the future. Its got to get get cheaper, cos we can stream from overseas legitimately via vpn. Just look at what ITV in UK, nine and 7 offer in Australia, or anywhere else in the world for free. At just look at the free, ad free, high quality free vpn add ons you can get for almost every single browser these days. High priced pay tv is yesterday, netflix is the new model. It will happen with sports too. The tradeoff is the supplier doesn't need to pay for sattelities or expensive broadcasts, just have hgih speed data servers, but its still cheaper than a satelliet or terrestial broadcast

  12. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Well if Sky is a good and decent broadcaster, now that it has lost the cricket, the F1, the EPL, the WTA and most of the NBA, to Spark, which has a value of $20 a month, will of course offset their sports price package plan. Cos they're offering you less.

    The new sky plans split with sport only came in last year, and those on vodafone had to wait for ages for a split deal, then we lost our free mysky... when it did come in. Vodafone tv is actually the cheapest package deal, but with spark no being a player, Im glad I aint locked in a 12 oe 24 month deal with vodafone as they dragged connected my fibre. I am waiting for a good spark package, I may change my cell phone too.

    If Sky don't price drop, then they're inept greedy, scummy, idiots, and a dinosaur waiting to be made extinct by the telcos getting into media.

    I do feel very very sorry for rural NZ. And I do hope this is a much needed wake up call to the telco's to sort them out better plans. The 120gb a month is lazy, whenever my hone internet goes down, vodafone give me unlimited 4g on my phone to hotspot. I think Spark should - and will - offer unlimited rural 4g for spark sport customers as a compromise.

    I watch a few All Blacks and Wallabies tests a year, I don't care enough about rugby to justify what I have spent on sky sport for cricket, and not even get our domestic t20 games. Let alone Safrican tests. We are in a vpn stream generation now. And high priced pay tv content is not the future. Its got to get get cheaper, cos we can stream from overseas legitimately via vpn. Just look at what ITV in UK, nine and 7 offer in Australia, or anywhere else in the world for free. At just look at the free, ad free, high quality free vpn add ons you can get for almost every single browser these days. High priced pay tv is yesterday, netflix is the new model. It will happen with sports too. The tradeoff is the supplier doesn't need to pay for sattelities or expensive broadcasts, just have hgih speed data servers, but its still cheaper than a satelliet or terrestial broadcast
    Sky is the best value for money if , like me, watches Sport 24/7, I worked out how much it would be per year if i wanted to watch everything i watch on Sky and it worked out at close to $1900 year for all the streaming services i would have to subscribe to. For serious Sport watches the downfall of Sky would be a gut blow.

  13. Post
    Paddles wrote:

    Foxcroft is years away from eligible Wrighty. And we dont need a spinner in Perth or MCG - only SCG - and we have an eligible spinner who knows that ground realllllllllllllllllllllllllly well
    Forgot that about Foxy. For the Perth or MCG tests if you don't take a spinner what are you going to do about over rates? I think at one point you wrote that you would just accept the consequences? What is your plan to get 90 overs a day in without a spinner at MCG and Perth.

  14. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Forgot that about Foxy. For the Perth or MCG tests if you don't take a spinner what are you going to do about over rates? I think at one point you wrote that you would just accept the consequences? What is your plan to get 90 overs a day in without a spinner at MCG and Perth.
    We've done it already. Last summer v Bangladesh. Boult has a short run up compared to most quicks. And CdG gets through his overs sharply.

    Southee and Henry are the only bowlers who take their time. Neil likes to charge back to his mark. I wouldn't play Henry, though. I'd unleash Lockie and see what the kid has got

  15. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Sky is the best value for money if , like me, watches Sport 24/7, I worked out how much it would be per year if i wanted to watch everything i watch on Sky and it worked out at close to $1900 year for all the streaming services i would have to subscribe to. For serious Sport watches the downfall of Sky would be a gut blow.
    $1900 a year? Dude. I can watch all global cricket on willow, and get a bunch of tv channels for sports and everything else that I don't want, for $180 a year. THis will give me NFL, NBA, Soccer, F1, and god knows what else. Basically like getting netflix and a bunch of US cable channels like comedy central, and main stream tv too. Prolly even get showtime or HBO included.

    Why so much for you? Rugby? Dude, I don't believe you. You could get Kayo from Fox, which has everything, I mean everything sky does (all the rugby - bar NZ High School and maybe NPC - def has all the super XV and our rugby tests), and a lot lot lot more, including far more cricket, they get SA for a start, for $25AUD a month.

    I'm trying to find an Indian in India to hook me upa Hotstar account. They pay like $5 a year for unlimited global cricket Including NZ games. I kid you not. Including NZ matches! You can login to hotstar right now, and watch every game from NZ's last summer, for free, on Hotstar, with no account! You may need an Indian vpn. These are also free. Every day of every test match.

    This is where sky really dropped the ball. And the overseas sites could see it. Spark did too.

    Seriously have a look at what is available on hotstar. For $5 a year. Every American movie. Every American tv show. And all the world's cricket. EPL. Heck - all the Euro soccer. And a lot from elsewhere too. Boxing. Tennis. These are global broadcasts. And just like Iphones, they need global pricing within reason. Sky's prices were totally unreasonable.

    Netflix killed greedy cable and pay tv companies. Netflix stuffed Sky's share price. And now the stream sites will continue to with sports. Anyone who didn't see this happening, prolly hasn't noticed that there are no cd shops or video rental shops in every mall or suburb anymore...

    Just look at this... If you have an Indian vpn... (these are free if you know what you're doing).

    https://www.hotstar.com/movies/languages/english

    Sky hit us with ads all the time, every over, why did they need to charge $60 to $100 a month on top of? They didn't. They were greedy, got lazy, and now they're being annihilated.

    I remember Ross Taylor getting out to a ball that he didn't nick cos there was no hot spot... Sky apologised that it was saving costs... Well I'm glad NZC has gone spark. Cos sky never passed that cost saving onto me.

    And the commentators don't need to be Simon Doull or Mark Richardson. I'd happily have Kyle Mills, Andre Adams and a few of the ACC crowd (who work for free for NZ intl games anyway!) do the commentary. I do hope they get some good 1080p cameras, I don't need 4k, but I am 2k ready already if they do. And a 70" 4k is pretty cheap now if they do go there...

    I'm heading into this summer, with no sky, and the only thing, I will miss, the only thing, is the list A final and the 6 or 8 t20 games they broadcast. That's it. And I am paying nothing. ANd chances are I will find these games on facebook anyway! But I am not paying a penny. Just a good broadband connection. My vpn is free. I know which global tv channels to goto. I will watch NZ tour Aus, and watch in 4k for free. FREE. Seriously. I just have to put up with some Aussie ads in between overs.

    Heck - if anyone hasn't worked out to watch the Rugby World Cup for free via ITV by now...

    I don't even have freeview. I literally have a computer plugged into my tv and a wireless kb touchpad as a remote. And it runs Linux... Which is also free. Free to air with ads is the model that works long term for sports. Seriously. But with globalisation comes global supply. And the cable and pay tv companies have been caught napping. They dropped the ball!

    And before anyone says I am being disloyal to my Kiwi cricket team, the Indian tv market pays their bills. And I am more than happy to join that market after 20+years of paying sky bills.
    Last edited by Paddles; 12th October 2019 at 2:13 pm.

  16. Post
    nba league pass $300
    NFL game pass $150
    MLB tv $150
    NRL $100
    College football $150
    NHL $150

    ESPN programs $3 each i watch 20 a week , so 60 a week $300 a year roughly
    All the football leagues around the world
    All the cricket, College basketball and i havent even started on the Rugby, so easily $1900 a year and i mean this is what i can legally watch without resorting to VPN's and dodgy streams

  17. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Well if Sky is a good and decent broadcaster, now that it has lost the cricket, the F1, the EPL, the WTA and most of the NBA, to Spark, which has a value of $20 a month, will of course offset their sports price package plan. Cos they're offering you less.

    The new sky plans split with sport only came in last year, and those on vodafone had to wait for ages for a split deal, then we lost our free mysky... when it did come in. Vodafone tv is actually the cheapest package deal, but with spark no being a player, Im glad I aint locked in a 12 oe 24 month deal with vodafone as they dragged connected my fibre. I am waiting for a good spark package, I may change my cell phone too.

    If Sky don't price drop, then they're inept greedy, scummy, idiots, and a dinosaur waiting to be made extinct by the telcos getting into media.

    I do feel very very sorry for rural NZ. And I do hope this is a much needed wake up call to the telco's to sort them out better plans. The 120gb a month is lazy, whenever my hone internet goes down, vodafone give me unlimited 4g on my phone to hotspot. I think Spark should - and will - offer unlimited rural 4g for spark sport customers as a compromise.

    I watch a few All Blacks and Wallabies tests a year, I don't care enough about rugby to justify what I have spent on sky sport for cricket, and not even get our domestic t20 games. Let alone Safrican tests. We are in a vpn stream generation now. And high priced pay tv content is not the future. Its got to get get cheaper, cos we can stream from overseas legitimately via vpn. Just look at what ITV in UK, nine and 7 offer in Australia, or anywhere else in the world for free. At just look at the free, ad free, high quality free vpn add ons you can get for almost every single browser these days. High priced pay tv is yesterday, netflix is the new model. It will happen with sports too. The tradeoff is the supplier doesn't need to pay for sattelities or expensive broadcasts, just have hgih speed data servers, but its still cheaper than a satelliet or terrestial broadcast
    Who is calling them a decent broadcaster from that perspective? Of course the cost won't drop.

    They haven't lost most of the NBA lol. Please stick to facts if we're going to talk about this.

    Again, if you're paying the prices you mentioned, or what you think is the cheapest package, you're doing it wrong. 55 for mysky sport and soho. It's easy to get a cheap deal if you know you're doing.

    If you think it's just about "better plans" you're missing the main part of the problem which is actually having access to fibre. Shit when I was living in Ellerslie we couldn't even get fibre where we were. Nevermind a lot of rural areas. This isn't as simple as "get better plans" lol.

    "legitimately via VPN" uhhh, you do know the reason you need a VPN is because you don't actually have legitimate access to that content right.... Hence you need the VPN to access it because you aren't meant to access it outside of that region. That isn't legitimate lol.

    "high quality free VPN" righto.

    Nothing you said at all changes the fact that people now need to pay more, and to more people, than they previously did a year ago. Yay, progress!

    But, again, for those who have been in other markets, this was always what was going to happen when another player came in.

  18. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    1 Who is calling them a decent broadcaster from that perspective? Of course the cost won't drop.

    2 They haven't lost most of the NBA lol. Please stick to facts if we're going to talk about this.

    3 Again, if you're paying the prices you mentioned, or what you think is the cheapest package, you're doing it wrong. 55 for mysky sport and soho. It's easy to get a cheap deal if you know you're doing.

    4 If you think it's just about "better plans" you're missing the main part of the problem which is actually having access to fibre. Shit when I was living in Ellerslie we couldn't even get fibre where we were. Nevermind a lot of rural areas. This isn't as simple as "get better plans" lol.

    5 "legitimately via VPN" uhhh, you do know the reason you need a VPN is because you don't actually have legitimate access to that content right.... Hence you need the VPN to access it because you aren't meant to access it outside of that region. That isn't legitimate lol.

    6 "high quality free VPN" righto.

    7 Nothing you said at all changes the fact that people now need to pay more, and to more people, than they previously did a year ago. Yay, progress!

    8 But, again, for those who have been in other markets, this was always what was going to happen when another player came in.
    I numbered your sentences to reply.

    1 - they don't have to pay for cricket. Their costs are less. If the price doesn't drop - why not?

    2 - their nba coverage is on espn.... that's not that many games.... I bet spark has those games and more...

    3 - Kayo - $25 AUD a month. I told you this already.

    4 - you dont need fibre. A decent dsl or 4g is far more than enough for 1080p. It will give you several channels of it. Sky has never broadcast in 1080p quality - they max at 1080i. Fact.

    5 - I didn't sign a regional contract. Did you? Its no crime accessing vpn. Heck, even if I did which I did not, sue me for breach of contract... - no. Just no.

    6 - setup vpn is free for life and unlimited bandwidth. Gives me 13 countries. And there are many more similar providers.

    7 - I'm paying less and getting more. Progress for me. You need to get wise about vpn.

    8 - Competition not good for markets? Right..... You're debunking capitalistic theory for communism here. You realise this?

    TV is going global. Like cellphones, and computers. And movie streaming. The prices are going to crash. Crashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Dinosaurs like cd shops, Blockbuster already gone and now Pay TV like Sky are about to get annihaliated. They're the next victim. They are already a long time destroyed and liquidated. If you can't see this already, then I cannot give you the insight. Cos I and every telco can see it, and its happening globally... They are the next internet victim. They're not needed. Sell your shares now and cut your losses. They are goooooooooooooooooooooooooone. HBO and Showtime make content. Which I s still stream elsewhere. Sky never even did this. Bar the "sports shows".

    We don't even need cellphone numbers anymore - all we need is roaming data - that is going to be the next revolution in a few years.... seriously. It's all about data now... In 20 years time, there wont be cellhpone numbers, just mobile data plans... You will call a user id by their facebook, gmail, itunes, discord or whatever account. Buy shares in companies building cell towers and doing fibre connections. Heck - I'd only buy in towers to be honest with 5g. Then 6g....

    And if you love a third world sport like cricket, India is the base level price. Rugby fans will stay pay more, because its an elitist sport in first world countries... But you don't need to pay over Kayo in Aus, and ITV broadcasts for free... with ads...

    And if you're a sky or freeview installer, learn a new trade. ASAP. We're going full data now. Globally. If you can't see it - I feel for you. But its the reality. And many of us see it. The smart ones saw it before napster.
    Last edited by Paddles; 12th October 2019 at 3:38 pm.

  19. Post
    As someone who has been streaming for about 2 years and living without a sky decoder i'm not too fussed by the changes.
    It would be nice to only have to pay for one provider. But its not the end of the world for me.

    Currently paying $16 a month for Sky Sport Now for the first 6 months (because I previously had Fan Pass Mobile) and $20 a month for Spark (mostly for the Premier League). Sky Sport now is a huge jump in quality from Sky Go. Had issue's like most people with the ABs vs South Africa (on Spark), but after that no issues.

    If you sign up for a year of Sky Sport Now I think it costs $40 a month. So that would be $60 including Spark.
    Might look at Kayo at some stage.
    If you have an Android TV or use Kodi on your PC I recommend checking out https://www.matthuisman.nz/

  20. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    I numbered your sentences to reply.

    1 - they don't have to pay for cricket. Their costs are less. If the price doesn't drop - why not?

    2 - their nba coverage is on espn.... that's not that many games.... I bet spark has those games and more...

    3 - Kayo - $25 AUD a month. I told you this already.

    4 - you dont need fibre. A decent dsl or 4g is far more than enough for 1080p. It will give you several channels of it. Sky has never broadcast in 1080p quality - they max at 1080i. Fact.

    5 - I didn't sign a regional contract. Did you? Its no crime accessing vpn. Heck, even if I did which I did not, sue me for breach of contract... - no. Just no.

    6 - setup vpn is free for life and unlimited bandwidth. Gives me 13 countries. And there are many more similar providers.

    7 - I'm paying less and getting more. Progress for me. You need to get wise about vpn.

    8 - Competition not good for markets? Right..... You're debunking capitalistic theory for communism here. You realise this?

    TV is going global. Like cellphones, and computers. And movie streaming. The prices are going to crash. Crashhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Dinosaurs like cd shops, Blockbuster already gone and now Pay TV like Sky are about to get annihaliated. They're the next victim. They are already a long time destroyed and liquidated. If you can't see this already, then I cannot give you the insight. Cos I and every telco can see it, and its happening globally... They are the next internet victim. They're not needed. Sell your shares now and cut your losses. They are goooooooooooooooooooooooooone. HBO and Showtime make content. Which I s still stream elsewhere. Sky never even did this. Bar the "sports shows".

    We don't even need cellphone numbers anymore - all we need is roaming data - that is going to be the next revolution in a few years.... seriously. It's all about data now... In 20 years time, there wont be cellhpone numbers, just mobile data plans... You will call a user id by their facebook, gmail, itunes, discord or whatever account. Buy shares in companies building cell towers and doing fibre connections. Heck - I'd only buy in towers to be honest with 5g. Then 6g....

    And if you love a third world sport like cricket, India is the base level price. Rugby fans will stay pay more, because its an elitist sport in first world countries... But you don't need to pay over Kayo in Aus, and ITV broadcasts for free... with ads...

    And if you're a sky or freeview installer, learn a new trade. ASAP. We're going full data now. Globally. If you can't see it - I feel for you. But its the reality. And many of us see it. The smart ones saw it before napster.
    1. Because they're a business trying to make money and know how much people will pay?

    Because they need to recoup what they lose from lost subscribers?

    Because they need to cover the increased cost for their huge Rugby offer?

    Because you don't actually understand how much of the money they generate just gets invested back into the business?

    The list could go on...

    2. I'm well aware of where their NBA coverage is (I watch much more NBA than you so don't try to educate me on it). They haven't "lost" anything in terms of NBA and Spark doesn't have much. They certainly haven't lost most of it like you claimed, that's uninformed rubbish.

    3. Talking about legitimately available options in NZ obviously.... You're the genius talking about paying 100 a month for Sky, so it's obvious you didn't know how to get a much better deal like I have and many others on this forum I know have, legitimately. Don't try to act informed now lol. Shit really isn't that hard to do. Surprised you were on the hook for 100 plus when you think you're so savvy with your free VPN lol.

    Side note, anyone who hasn't already got Sky much cheaper and wondering what I'm on about, feel free to PM me.

    4. Fibre is going to give you a more stable and faster connection "fact". It's undeniable that many people in NZ don't have access to Internet suitable for streaming. You've literally said you feel sorry for these people so why try argue the point lol. I've lived in areas in Auckland with a sub 10mb connection. That's rare obviously for Auckland, but I'm not self centered enough to just be like well I'm fine because I'm on 100 down now, thoughts and prayers to the farmers though.

    5. You're using a VPN to access content that you aren't entitled to access. The broadcaster has rights to broadcast only in certain regions. The terms of use will make this clear. Again, there's a reason you need a VPN to circumvent that lol. Why would you need a VPN if it was so "legitimate". In the case of something like watching UK content, you're watching content intended for UK audiences only, where you also need to have a TV licence which, surprise, you don't have because you're accessing it illegitimately. I can obtain a lot o of things without spending money myself if I so chose, but there's a difference between something being "free" and taking something you're not entitled to have.

    I don't care if you use a VPN to stream shit, but don't try to pretend it's "legitimate" when you literally need to take measures to circumvent the restrictions in place.

    6. Again "good free VPN" lol.

    7. I'm already well informed on what VPNs are. However, we don't all want to dance around obtaining our content illegitimately. Yes, we know it's better "for you" but this issue effects thousands and thousands of people not just yourself. So selfishly be happy in your "oh I feel bad for people in rural areas but lol oh well I'm happy" way, but some of the rest of us are conscious of how everyone is impacted. We have numerous people on this forum who have had poor experiences watching the World Cup. An issue they wouldn't have had previously. And they had to get an additional subscription for the privilege. Progress! Again, the fact it didn't work well is undeniable when the company literally refunds customers to acknowledge it.

    8. Literally we have a prime example of how pay TV competition is not good for the sports consumer in the UK. Are you informed enough to comment on it and tell me how that situation has been good for the consumer? I'll wait. I'd love to know how not being able to follow the EPL legitimately without two paid subscriptions because the games are split across them is a good thing for the consumer. How needing two subscriptions with two different telcos for following the CL is a good thing, or for how you go to watch the Cricket oh wait it's on BT and you've got Sky oh wait next game is on Sky not BT is good. Oh wait you like motorsports too but Nascar is on Premier and F1 is on Sky guess you better get a third sub. Love to know, as someone who has experienced it, how it is good for the consumer. Certainly it isn't reflected in pricing, so please do explain.

    Blah blah blah blah ramblings I don't care about your thoughts on Sky installers and how you illegitimately access HBO lol. People have been "illegitimately accessing" HBO shows and others for years. It was called, piracy. If you're going to access things you shouldn't through a VPN, may as well forego paying altogether and pirate it lol.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 12th October 2019 at 5:09 pm.

  21. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    1. Because they're a business trying to make money and know how much people will pay?

    Because they need to recoup what they lose from lost subscribers?

    Because they need to cover the increased cost for their huge Rugby offer?

    Because you don't actually understand how much of the money they generate just gets invested back into the business?

    The list could go on...

    2. I'm well aware of where their NBA coverage is (I watch much more NBA than you so don't try to educate me on it). They haven't "lost" anything in terms of NBA and Spark doesn't have much. They certainly haven't lost most of it like you claimed, that's uninformed rubbish.

    3. Talking about legitimately available options in NZ obviously.... You're the genius talking about paying 100 a month for Sky, so it's obvious you didn't know how to get a much better deal like I have and many others on this forum I know have, legitimately. Don't try to act informed now lol. Shit really isn't that hard to do. Surprised you were on the hook for 100 plus when you think you're so savvy with your free VPN lol.

    Side note, anyone who hasn't already got Sky much cheaper and wondering what I'm on about, feel free to PM me.

    4. Fibre is going to give you a more stable and faster connection "fact". It's undeniable that many people in NZ don't have access to Internet suitable for streaming. You've literally said you feel sorry for these people so why try argue the point lol. I've lived in areas in Auckland with a sub 10mb connection. That's rare obviously for Auckland, but I'm not self centered enough to just be like well I'm fine because I'm on 100 down now, thoughts and prayers to the farmers though.

    5. You're using a VPN to access content that you aren't entitled to access. The broadcaster has rights to broadcast only in certain regions. The terms of use will make this clear. Again, there's a reason you need a VPN to circumvent that lol. Why would you need a VPN if it was so "legitimate". In the case of something like watching UK content, you're watching content intended for UK audiences only, where you also need to have a TV licence which, surprise, you don't have because you're accessing it illegitimately. I can obtain a lot o of things without spending money myself if I so chose, but there's a difference between something being "free" and taking something you're not entitled to have.

    I don't care if you use a VPN to stream shit, but don't try to pretend it's "legitimate" when you literally need to take measures to circumvent the restrictions in place.

    6. Again "good free VPN" lol.

    7. I'm already well informed on what VPNs are. However, we don't all want to dance around obtaining our content illegitimately. Yes, we know it's better "for you" but this issue effects thousands and thousands of people not just yourself. So selfishly be happy in your "oh I feel bad for people in rural areas but lol oh well I'm happy" way, but some of the rest of us are conscious of how everyone is impacted. We have numerous people on this forum who have had poor experiences watching the World Cup. An issue they wouldn't have had previously. And they had to get an additional subscription for the privilege. Progress! Again, the fact it didn't work well is undeniable when the company literally refunds customers to acknowledge it.

    8. Literally we have a prime example of how pay TV competition is not good for the sports consumer in the UK. Are you informed enough to comment on it and tell me how that situation has been good for the consumer? I'll wait. I'd love to know how not being able to follow the EPL legitimately without two paid subscriptions because the games are split across them is a good thing for the consumer. How needing two subscriptions with two different telcos for following the CL is a good thing, or for how you go to watch the Cricket oh wait it's on BT and you've got Sky oh wait next game is on Sky not BT is good. Oh wait you like motorsports too but Nascar is on Premier and F1 is on Sky guess you better get a third sub. Love to know, as someone who has experienced it, how it is good for the consumer. Certainly it isn't reflected in pricing, so please do explain.

    Blah blah blah blah ramblings I don't care about your thoughts on Sky installers and how you illegitimately access HBO lol. People have been "illegitimately accessing" HBO shows and others for years. It was called, piracy. If you're going to access things you shouldn't through a VPN, may as well forego paying altogether and pirate it lol.
    1 My minor included macroeconomics years ago. I don't think it has changed.

    2 Okay so you watch NBA....

    3 I'm the genius who cut sky and pays them nothing anymore. Not a penny. $0. Even made them pick up my decoder when they sent debt collectors.... But I had it cut down to vodafones cheapest deal. Even then it was too much. I am not a millionaire. Are you?

    4. I dont have fibre. And I am freinds with people in america on dsl reaching NZ fibre speeds. I just want want 720p, 1080p is nice. Skyy never gave me 1080p. Not once. Not ever. Their hardware could not do it. But I can stream in 4k. I have the hardwarw for that.

    5 - Please dont talk to me on law. Im a lawyer. You're not. As a consumer, I can buy any content I like, that is legal. Anywhere. And everywhere. In the entire world. You wanna talk contractual regional agreements, if I breach that, I breach a contract at worst. But I havn't signed up to any regional contracts. Not a single one. I watch FTA deals. I don't care about ITV's contract with the RWC, i am not party to that agreement. I breach no RWC contract I have with the RWC. At all. None. Whatsoever.

    6 Its a great vpn. Its free, And I get 1080p on it no poroblem. Which sky never gave me.

    7 Deal with it. India is 1/4 of the world's population. Like it or lump it. They set the price for cricket. Nothing changes me streaming from India, not even the rural people of NZ. I pay India, they pay NZC. I do my part. Like any watched in India. They're not even connected to your argument here as you present it. But yes - I do feel bad for rural NZ on existing broadband deals, and yes I wanna see a solution for them. But Pay TV was never the solution for them, you're myopic if you think it was. I have watched the rugby world cup on 1080p plus for free and crystal clear quality. No faults. At all. Through ITV. Thanks Even spark couldn't deliver that for payers. LOL.

    8 ITV is free in the UK. They have the RWC. What sport are you talking about? You mean cricket when England tours Aussie? LOL. You must do. Any Brit who paid for that when they could have watched nine for free is mad Nine gem is a well, gem. A lot of us know what I am saying here.... Cos I just watched the Ashes in England on Gem....

    I will keep streaming legitimately through vpn. Until the law declares vpns illegitmate like you claim they are, but hasn't yet, I don't care two hoots. And if the law does... they need to make it criminal. And they most likely never, ever will. How can they? You can't regionally steal something. You're not a lawyer so you dont get the concept of property, but regions, and stepping there out of, lol, good luck. You wanna make property global, which it isn't, but if so, the regions are global too, you dn't get your cake and eat it too... You need a regional tripps agreement, if the world signs up, maybe I will listen. But noone has yet.

    TV IS GOING GLOBALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLL. Get that legitimately in your head. Legitimately. Netflix has started the revolution already. This goes way beyond NZ already...
    Last edited by Paddles; 12th October 2019 at 6:27 pm.

  22. Post
    1. Yet you need it explained to you why a business would prefer having more money lol?

    2. Yes, and your claim that they've lost most of the NBA was made up bullshit that you got called out on.

    3. You're the genius who was paying 100 a month when he could have been paying about half that if he was savvy as he thought. But you thought Vodafones cheapest deal was the best it got lol. I don't find 55 a month too much, I can't sympathise with your plight. But again, you weren't savvy enough to get the good deals

    4. Cool, fact remains many people in NZ can't do that. I'm thinking of other people, not just myself like you. My Internet is fine, I just know that isn't the case for anyone and I'm not going to be like oh well just because it's fine for me. Well it's mostly fine, we do have Internet issues around our street at times, and that's in a pretty affluent area. Hopefully it doesn't happen during the WC, which we still had issues during the SA game with Spark because we watch legitimately.

    5. Again, you literally need to use the VPN to circumvent the region lock. That isn't legitimately accessing the content lol. Don't worry I'm sure you're not the only old man lawyer who doesn't understand how things like that work. You're one of those people who thinks everything you can watch on an Android box or through Kodi is legitimate and "free" as well I can tell.

    6. Again, free good VPN lol.

    7. You're streaming content you aren't entitled to stream and calling it "free" that doesn't hold up lol.

    8. People in the UK need to pay a TV licence for those free channels, including covering accessing them online. Obviously you did not know this, it is not as simple as it's "free". You don't pay this licence because you aren't accessing it legitimately. I literally gave you examples of relevant sports. It's obvious you do not understand the pay TV landscape there when it comes to sport and you're incapable of answering, as expected.

    I've never claimed VPNs are illegitimate, don't put words in my mouth because you can't support your own argument. However, you are using them to access content illegitimately. Torrents aren't illegitimate, but they can be used for illegitimate things
    I really can't believe you're a lawyer when this is the argument you try to make lol. It's this 10 years ago when this type of thing was being argued?

    As an example, from Kayo's terms and conditions (which by using the service you agree to adhering to, which surely you'll know as a lawyer)

    "You can access the content within the Service from Australia only."

    But you don't. So you're not accessing it legitimately, and in fact you are in breach of the terms and conditions of using Kayo.


    Here's ITV:

    Can I access the Services from anywhere?
    Some of our Platforms and Services (including the ITV Hub) use "geo-blocking" measures to prevent you from accessing them from outside the United Kingdom: this is necessary for us to ensure that we comply with the terms of our broadcast and content licences. Please also note that some of our Services may not be available in certain regions within the United Kingdom.

    Surely this can't actually be news to you? You must have surely known these things and just ignoring them like most people do.

    Of course, actually enforcing that is very difficult (though we'll eventually see things like when Netflix has banned VPNs previously) but that does not change the fact that you're in violation of the terms and conditions that you agree to when using the service.

    By using the service you agree that you will not :

    attempt to circumvent any geo-blocking measures to access from anywhere outside the United Kingdom, all or any of our Services (including but not limited to the Website) that use "geo-blocking" measures to prevent you from accessing them from outside the United Kingdom (which are necessary for us to ensure that we comply with the terms of our broadcast and content licences);



    When you stream HBO from a service that doesn't have the digital rights in New Zealand, it's pretty clear you're doing something illegitimately lol.

    But again, we already knew this because you literally need to use the VPN to get around the region lock. The region lock that exists because of the digital rights in the region. If something says you aren't allowed to do this, and then you use a service to get around that and do it anyway, you don't need to be very smart to know it's not legitimate.

    It's cute that you think you're giving me an insight into the future of tech because you learned how to use a VPN and have Netflix though lol. I was using a VPN to watch Netflix before it was even in NZ so I'm familiar with how that works thanks. I was also, even back then, onto it enough to know that it wasn't a legitimate thing to be doing. When you need to trick a service into thinking you live in a different country to have access, that's pretty obvious.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 12th October 2019 at 7:46 pm.

  23. Post
    Netflix might have started the revolution but they are already in trouble, they spent nearly 18 billion dollars on content this year up from 13 billion the year before and to keep this up they have to have growth in Subscribers every year but instead of growing they are losing subscribers with all the new services starting , sorry off topic but people have to realise getting streaming content is an expensive business and sport is top of the list in cost. Sky sport in England spent 1.1 billion pounds on the domestic cricket rights, Australian rights went for 1.7 billion dollars to channel 7, tests big bash and Fox all cricket. if you are going to compete you need deep pockets does Spark have deep pockets when they wont get much return on money spent. eg just to break even on the rugby they need 170000 subs, i would be surprised if they had half of that which means they are losing money and people are saying the new CEO isnt as keen on the whole streaming sport business

  24. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Netflix might have started the revolution but they are already in trouble, they spent nearly 18 billion dollars on content this year up from 13 billion the year before and to keep this up they have to have growth in Subscribers every year but instead of growing they are losing subscribers with all the new services starting , sorry off topic but people have to realise getting streaming content is an expensive business and sport is top of the list in cost. Sky sport in England spent 1.1 billion pounds on the domestic cricket rights, Australian rights went for 1.7 billion dollars to channel 7, tests big bash and Fox all cricket. if you are going to compete you need deep pockets does Spark have deep pockets when they wont get much return on money spent. eg just to break even on the rugby they need 170000 subs, i would be surprised if they had half of that which means they are losing money and people are saying the new CEO isnt as keen on the whole streaming sport business
    NZ domestic rights cost much less than a bn. We sold the overseas - which is basically India for 500m.... for many years,,, there is lil money in domestic rights here.... hence sky dropping the ball... again. Like they did when toured SA in 2015 and they gave it to us a on a free stream cos sky wouldn't pay a penny.....

    NZC just needs someone to send a camera crew and some sommentators, which someone hinted at earlier... Only the rich 3 make a profit locally....

    Sky has been ripping people off for a long time...
    Last edited by Paddles; 12th October 2019 at 8:38 pm.

  25. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Netflix might have started the revolution but they are already in trouble, they spent nearly 18 billion dollars on content this year up from 13 billion the year before and to keep this up they have to have growth in Subscribers every year but instead of growing they are losing subscribers with all the new services starting , sorry off topic but people have to realise getting streaming content is an expensive business and sport is top of the list in cost. Sky sport in England spent 1.1 billion pounds on the domestic cricket rights, Australian rights went for 1.7 billion dollars to channel 7, tests big bash and Fox all cricket. if you are going to compete you need deep pockets does Spark have deep pockets when they wont get much return on money spent. eg just to break even on the rugby they need 170000 subs, i would be surprised if they had half of that which means they are losing money and people are saying the new CEO isnt as keen on the whole streaming sport business
    I think Spark probably has deeper pockets than Sky and they can probably actually use their streaming services as a loss leader to convince people to sign up to their UFB or 5G services.