Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Post

The Geek Day Out / Exchange Trip Competition..

Hey guys,

I am in the middle of organising a Geek Exchange Tour with Telecom Wholesale - an exchange, cabinet, cablepit etc and this is happening on the 19th from about 2pm ish onward.

We are not fussed if you are pro-Telecom or not, and our goal was that we can keep it frank and honest about exactly what and why Telecom are doing things, you will be welcome to bring camera's and or video and they are welcome to post honest feedback of what you thought of the trip.

At the conclusion of the trip, we have organised some Beer (including some Kingfisher of course) Pizza and an informal catchup with the Broadband Product managers from Wholesale, where you can ask them the hard questions.

Also this would be an Auckland trip, so you would need to be in the city on the day.

We only have 10 total slots available, and we wanted to have 5 spare in case anyone pulls out, but because I wanted to give the guys from other forums a go also, we will have 4 Positions each for GPforums, with 2 backup people in case anyone is sick / cancels. Based on how it goes, we may consider doing it again later, covering different elements, or introducing to different teams but no promises.

The tight timeframes would mean that we will have to get the names committed pretty sharply.
    Of those that are:
    1) Available in Auckland on the 19th from 2pm onwards
    2) Would love to see an exchange etc
    3) Are a geek / love DSL (see item 2)

In order to get selected, just reply that you are keen, and I will pick based on a combination of people with a reputation for "community spirit", a high number of posts per day, and my own random decision - if it becomes unwieldy we may have to put it to the vote.

I have chatted to pablo_d and he said this might be the fairest way to put it out there for those that were interested.

Cheers,
    ADSLGeek

2. Post
    (not an application)

That's a great idea, I'm assuming the other positions will be offered at GeekZone/other tech forums? Would be nice for Telecom to introduce a plan to cater for higher bandwidth users in the future (50-90GB) at a reasonable price with no onpeak/off peak drama the competition uses, or introduce realistic overage charges($1-1.50 per GB).

Hopefully some of the people who go will also post here what they thought

3. Post
    Thanks Chunky, There were just 10 slots, so we did invite another forum (but I didn't want to cross promote here)

The pricing discussion would be around the Retail side of the business, but certainly I will pass that on to who I know at Retail.

4. Post
    its nothing exciting .. go have a look at all the old gear thats 30 years old and failing
    Chaos, Disorder, Mayhem .... My work here is done

5. Post
    Yup, put me down, I'll be available, I still haven't been inside a telecom dungeon

6. Post
    I'd be keen, but I'm being trained on gaining access to some new (& cool) Telecom Wholesale tools. Don't finish up till 2PM Very upsetting

I wish all going an awesome experience.
    -PH33R- wrote:
    its nothing exciting .. go have a look at all the old gear thats 30 years old and failing
    or was that a joke?

I was rather surprised at the size of the last RAN I saw, also admiring the structural design of a floor specifically built to load a few hundred UPS'. The V10 twin turbo generator (definitely a few years old) was a nice site, as well as the 10,000 odd liters of diesel sitting around.

Nothing beats the red bucket being used to stop a few thousand users from disconnecting though ... that was just classic!

7. Post
    EZAS wrote:
    Nothing beats the red bucket being used to stop a few thousand users from disconnecting though ... that was just classic!
    I suspect that eXdee, Grudge, Shade, Prometheus, saajiik and Ragnor etc would be up for this if they could make it, specially to see ^^

8. Post
    -PH33R- wrote:

eZas wrote:
    or was that a joke?
    I don't think he read/understood items 2 and 3.. ;-)

9. Post
    lol i work for them .. so ive been to pretty much all the exchanges u can think of

10. Post
    Would be awesome to go ;D, except i'm not currently in Auckland , make sure you guys take some videos! i'd love to watch lol.

hah ;d

11. Post
    ADSL - What exchange are you going to btw?

-PH33R- wrote:
    one mans trash is another county's internet back bone

EZAS wrote:
    Please share the story of the 'red bucket'

12. Post
    Would be interested

13. Post
    In Thailand the broadband providers provide a 50gb cap per day for 29.99 p/m.

Would like to see the same here.

14. Post
    Formation wrote:

Are they spread out as much as we are?

15. Post
    Formation wrote:

I'd be stoked if I had that per month...

Nice idea adslgeek!

I would be keen to know why the overage charges are ridiculously high, I went over accidentally one month by 13gig (long story), but was charged an extra $200 for my troubles...

16. Post
    insane wrote:
    I suspect that eXdee, Grudge, Shade, Prometheus, saajiik and Ragnor etc would be up for this if they could make it, specially to see ^^
    Thanks for thinking of me guys (i got two PM's heh)

But im in Hamilton and i'm too busy to be able to make the trip up.
    Would be a great experience though. Thanks for the offer.

17. Post
    -PH33R- wrote:
    lol i work for them .. so ive been to pretty much all the exchanges u can think of
    you been to the warkworth sat station?

18. Post
    Keen! As long as I can bus/walk/ride-scab to where ever we're meeting/going.

Never seen an exchange. I'd bring my DSLR camera for sure.

19. Post
    Hervard wrote:
    Keen! As long as I can bus/walk/ride-scab to where ever we're meeting/going.

Never seen an exchange. I'd bring my DSLR camera for sure.
    They will most likely have a no pic policy

20. Post
    adslgeek wrote:
    ...you will be welcome to bring camera's and or video...

21. Post
    which exchange is this at .. might b able to pop through and show ya some things too

22. Post
    Malks wrote:
    **** off to thailand then idiot
    lol what is your problem?

23. Post
    Yeah interested in knowing what Telecom exchange you guys will be going to? A big one such as Mayoral Drive? Not that I can come anyway, in Chch

Stepped inside the Papanui Telecom exchange in Chch for a little bit a year or two back, just the big MDF with all the copper pairs and some cellular stuff as well. Didn't get a tour or anything so only understood some of it. Not overly exciting compared to a bigger exchange or RAN I would imagine

24. Post
    there really isnt that much to the exchange.

they might take you to ponsonby as thats where they took the media.

i find it interesting that they will allow you free range over taking photos.

25. Post
    Bio-Hazard wrote:
    there really isnt that much to the exchange.

they might take you to ponsonby as thats where they took the media.

i find it interesting that they will allow you free range over taking photos.
    Yep I must admit I had to doublecheck that detail - there is one restriction for flash photography at one location as it can interfere with equipment, but as long as the flash is off for that location, then it is all on.

Cheers!