The climate change debate and potential solutions thread

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 3815

1. Post
    Planting more crops is an ok oxygen replacement, but it’s not the same for storing the carbon from the atmosphere. That’s they key issue in deforestation, the removal of carbon storage.

2. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Hmmmm ...

It does seem that quite a few scientists think the planet may only be able to support 1 billion or even lessSo yeah ... He may seem strange, but what he says has been said by others. Yes, they maybe outliers from the mainstream of science for their views and research, but I suspect these voices are not heard much, because otherwise "why bother .. if we are all going to die anyway" attitude may develop. e.g Guy McPherson, et.al.

However the next generations are concerned. And why I will support parties who think about the long term well being of people and the planet.
    I stand by my statement. Here’s an article doing the same

https://climatefeedback.org/claimrev...er-hallam-bbc/

Mr. Hallam’s claim that “the science predicts” that six billion people are headed for slaughter and starvation by 2100 is simply not correct. No mainstream prediction indicates anywhere near this level of climate-change-induced human mortality, for any reason.

3. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Planting more crops is an ok oxygen replacement, but it’s not the same for storing the carbon from the atmosphere. That’s they key issue in deforestation, the removal of carbon storage.
    sorry forgot the sarcasm tags

4. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    I stand by my statement.
    I dont think it will be deaths of 6 billion either, but I do think about 6 billion people or more will be directly affected by climate change effects by 2100. Some by water shortage, some by food shortage, some by extreme weather events, some by rising seas and mass migrations, some by conflicts and some by just increasing lawlessness.

5. Post
    ^by 2100 every single person on the planet will be effected in some way, there’s no getting around that. If the whole planet changes, then everyone feels the effects. It’s a pointless argument.

Most scientific thinkers will correct untrue claims if they can, whether those claims come from climate change deniers, or Extinction Rebellion leaders. It’s not science if you’re biased. You work with data and hypothesis, and you present results. If someone claims science says something when it doesn’t, it’s up to people who work with the data to show that they are incorrect no matter who they are.

6. Post
    But are we not entering a period of "unknown unknowns", with regard to feedbacks and their effects. It has been said, a lot of data models do not or can not allow for these.

7. Post
    For some things we can’t know what will happen with any real certainty in 80 years time because the earth is such a complex system. Therefore you can’t say “the science says...” if it is an unknown. You can say “it’s my theory that...”, that’s fine because lots of people have theories about unknown things. You can say “we predict that...” because the work you may do shows a possible outcome. However, when you say “The science says....”, it indicates that there is data and modelling that has been peer reviewed and published to indicate what you are talking about is corroborated by more than you and a couple of likeminded thinkers.

8. Post
    Well GPForum/CEPP science says "You're Probably right"

Nice video on Data and Models and Predictions in Climate Change

9. Post
    Yikes. Some amazing stats in this document. Like this one...

China is the world’s largest user of coal and the world’s biggest generator of renewable energy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F610ED96-C66B-40C2-A27A-F317C80C4DF4.jpeg 
Views:	69 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	227132

https://www.yaleclimateconnections.o...are-coal-dead/

10. Post
    I think I read somewhere that 30 years ago the world used fossil fuels for 81% of total energy needs, and today it's still 81%.

11. Post
    Abnd who is the biggest exporter of coal - Indonesia

12. Post
    "some people just want to watch the world burn" - I really hate the climate change deniers now ... as they are those 'some people' now!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/c...worldwide.html

13. Smile
    I was thinking with hurricanes in the US and the rest of climate change, This is just natures way of solving the problem we created, The more we pollute, the more extreme the weather and the more the planet fights back.

If we go too far, So will the planet thus solving the problem.

14. Post
    ^if you see anyone saying there are more hurricanes because of climate change, the data doesn’t support that. What we do see is that they move slower, have more energy, and have more water, therefore they are more destructive more often.

15. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    ^if you see anyone saying there are more hurricanes because of climate change, the data doesn’t support that. What we do see is that they move slower, have more energy, and have more water, therefore they are more destructive more often.
    Interesting that there aren't more of them. But yes if the sea warms up - that puts more energy into the cyclone/hurricane.
    More energy, I suppose, could also mean they can travel further before dying out - meaning that places that usually get fewer or no cyclones could be impacted (which could be why people think there are more cyclones, it's not that there are more, it's just more are reaching land?)

16. Post
    Yeah, some are getting bigger and more energetic, so they last longer. So where occasionally one might whimper out over the ocean, now it is making it further than the average would suggest. Basically there’s more devastation than there used to be and that’s down to the ocean and atmosphere being warmer.

17. Post
    I wonder how the intensity of tropical storms hitting NZ will change. We tend to get the tail end of them now, in Auckland at least.

18. Post
    Considering the Bay of Plenty has got hit by a cyclone, which is more south, it is only a matter of when, the path of it comes to Auckland.

19. Post
    "some people just want to watch the world burn"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	burn.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	359.5 KB 
ID:	227170

20. Post
    https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/global-war...nd-hurricanes/

Good article here on the latest research into hurricanes and climate change links

21. Post
    I am still getting into arguments with my Uncle (he is in his 70s). Here is my latest response;
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we can all agree on the following;

1) Global Warming is happening: We can debate the causes, but there is no argument there.
    2) The planet is becoming very polluted, both in the sea, the land and the air: The cause is the size of our human population growth

If we accept these two truths and being as intelligent as we are, we know there will be serious consequences to the planet. As to the timing as to when those consequences will happen, a decade, a few decades, a century, it depends on where you are on the planet and how well prepared you are to deal with the consequences.

What needs to happen is a wholesale change of the economic system, that has been in place for 1,000s of years, and quite frankly that is not going to happen.

So my focus is that we need to make people aware of the potential impacts and consequences of my two points above and try to ensure that people start thinking about how to prepare themselves, their children and their grand children for the world that is coming.

Part of this preparation, is what you need to survive the coming decades is; being smart, being a leader and to be reasonably well off. All of which requires action, like what you are doing with your education website and may others like that.

As for the politicians, it makes no difference what their small adjustments to our taxes or rules and regulations or laws they try to implement, they will have miminal impact on the two main points we can be agreed upon. So no, I don't support increased carbon taxes because, we should have made the societal changes decades ago, because now it is too late for them to make an impact.

22. Post
    Your Uncle sounds like a person that you shouldn’t bother talking to about climate change.

23. Post
    Trouble is he responds to my facebook posts or links I share.

24. Post
    The trouble is also that you post and share links on Facebook.

25. Post
    Prepare for Extinction - I am in my 50s and given these time frames, I will live just long enough to watch the world burn