The climate change debate and potential solutions thread

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Results 3,051 to 3,053 of 3053

1. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I am imagining a scene, where a scientist goes into his ivory tower to begin research on climate change, and then emerges decades later yelling "Eureka! I found the cause, here is how to fix climate change" and public says "You're a bit late mate, the climate has already changed, and we are all f#$ked"
    And that relates to your earlier demands for a accurate predictions. If you want accurate models for a massively complex system, then scientists need many years worth of data. If you want to boil it down to the very simple, then you get “if we add more CO2, the temp goes up”. That has been said for decades, but it’s not good enough, as you have said yourself.

2. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    I just think the place would be much better off without us.

Think how sweet NZ would be, lot's of birds, clean air, native bush, clean rivers etc.

Just because you don't understand something isn't a good reason to trash it, that's been our problem for the last few thousand years, and we've learned nothing from it..
    I don't disagree that it would be objectively better for all other species. But you know, Earth will eventually be destroyed by the sun anyway. I guess it's just the nihilist within me.

Thing is, we do rely on healthy Earth ecosystems so it's a moot point really. And personally I really enjoy nature.

3. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    And that relates to your earlier demands for a accurate predictions. If you want accurate models for a massively complex system, then scientists need many years worth of data. If you want to boil it down to the very simple, then you get “if we add more CO2, the temp goes up”. That has been said for decades, but it’s not good enough, as you have said yourself.
    We "public" are a finicky bunch. Some want accuracy, some want it straight. What I have found in talking to millenials is, they know it and want to act now for their own futures. Which is why I think they are best people to be in charge of their futures.
    Last edited by KiwiTT; 21st February 2019 at 10:02 am.