The climate change debate and potential solutions thread

Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
(3 votes)
Results 3,026 to 3,037 of 3037

1. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Or even minimize the extent of it. Which is only a minor point, apparently.
    I'm not saying we should stop lowering our emissions - as long as it is the best use of our efforts. For NZ, the numbers don't say that. In fact if you look at climateactiontracker we have to be doing a lot more than NZ can probably afford to be making a moral difference (because that is all it is).

2. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    and the gas peaking stations are required when weather can’t help you.
    Dumb question as I am somewhat confused about our ETS. Are we actually sending money offshore? (Honest question)

If so wouldn't we be better using that money to build more renewable power sources?

3. Post
    What do you mean by sending money? I’m not at all up to speed with the ETS I’m sorry.

4. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I'm not saying we should stop lowering our emissions - as long as it is the best use of our efforts. For NZ, the numbers don't say that. In fact if you look at climateactiontracker we have to be doing a lot more than NZ can probably afford to be making a moral difference (because that is all it is).
    I wonder how much we can afford when our largely agricultural economy don't function so good no more.

5. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    What do you mean by sending money? I’m not at all up to speed with the ETS I’m sorry.
    I cannot figure out of $$$ is going offshore, everything read that the govt is going to have to buy carbon credits from offshore but nothing definitive that they have.

6. Post
    I'd say they would given how high our emissions are per capita.

7. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    I cannot figure out of $$$ is going offshore, everything read that the govt is going to have to buy carbon credits from offshore but nothing definitive that they have.
    Under National we used to be one of the biggest purchasers of offshore carbon credits in the world, many from dodgy and corrupt sources that were not allowed to be used in other countries and regions so became so cheap we purchased a lot of them and in effect had little desired impact of pricing GHG emissions and reduction of GHG emissions.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/18...k-carbon-scam/
    http://morganfoundation.org.nz/wp-co...at_Report8.pdf

Might be best to watch this first:

8. Post
    And with certain industries not in the ETS, like agriculture, the cost of meeting our targets falls on the Government (tax payers) to offset.

9. Post
    Thank you, very helpful. Also very worrying.

10. Post
    Cheers for those vids Bullion

11. Post
    bradc wrote:
    Your initial perspective was this being some sort of money making ruse or left wing agenda. It's pretty clear you're anti, and won't ever change until we're all on rafts and maybe not even then.

Only a complete douche is going to be in favour of dirtying our rivers.
    Far out, you seem to lack empathy and unable to grasp the views of others.
    Its embarrassing that a seemingly well educated person can be like this.

Vulcan doesn't seem to be taking sides but more of a pragmatic balanced view on things.

12. Post
    Oh I empathize with Vulcan, the problem is he's full of shit.