[Wellington Forums]

Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.06 average.
(17 votes)
Results 21,876 to 21,900 of 22039

1. Post
    It's a shame they're no longer BYO.

2. Post
    Elgaria wrote:
    Tried this today after reading your post.
    It was really nice. I would definitely go there again.
    Oh sweet! Yeah, good times.

3. Post
    Power and 4G mobile out for anyone?

4. Post
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/11296...wharf-cut-free

Thursday night bender that ended badly?

5. Post
    Whoa ****!

6. Post
    Anyone else get a giggle out the motorway signs about road words near SH1-T'VILLE?

( the T is a J with a cross on the top)

7. Post
    I just got rejected buying a bottle of wine from New World on Willis street. This is the second time in maybe 10 years this has happened and it's not that I couldn't buy the wine, it's the pure stupidity of it that annoys the **** out of me. I get it, I know the law, I know why they do it but it doesn't stop me being pissed about it.

I'm in my 30s, and some dude asked for my ID. Sure I give it to him but it's expired and has been for 10+ years. He says "I know you're over 30 but I can't accept this because it's expired".

Like what the **** dude. I've been buying wine almost daily from Metro and never had a problem there. I've even been ID'd there many times with people always accepting it.

Just this green face little wanker was so smug about it.

8. Post
    There always some jobsworth who wants to feel important I guess. Out of interest, what's the reason for not getting a valid ID in the last 10 years? I guess you don't drive so don't need a license on you but there must be times you need to show photo ID for things.

9. Post
    buying wine daily? Is this a subtle way of asking for help?

10. Post
    Yeah don't drive and don't have any plans on doing so in Welly. Whenever I need a 'real' valid photo ID, I take my passport. For just about everything including banking, utilities, things at DIA, they all accept my expired licence.

I've opened credit cards with 50k limits on that licence, just can't buy a $15 bottle of wine.

11. Post
    I remember you having the exact same rant not so long ago lol

12. Post
    Galent wrote:
    I remember you having the exact same rant not so long ago lol
    Yup I've had it before (only other time this has happened), without going back and looking I'd guess it was 4-5 years ago.

13. Post
    just get a 18+ card. It's only 20 bucks...

14. Post
    WarZoner wrote:
    just get a 18+ card. It's only 20 bucks...
    Leaving the country in a few weeks. No point now.

I bet I can get one with only my expired license as proof of age though.

15. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    things at DIA,
    Those guys would accept a hand written note from your mum.

16. Post
    I don't get that. Why does it matter if the drivers licence is expired? That doesn't make it any less useful as an identifier, it just means he can't drive with it.

17. Post
    Because it's no longer valid ID, and the law says I must produce valid ID when buying alcohol.

Just about everyone else in the country uses a bit of common sense and it's never a problem, until you get the odd smug wanker.

18. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    I don't get that. Why does it matter if the drivers licence is expired? That doesn't make it any less useful as an identifier, it just means he can't drive with it.
    Do you look the same as you did 5 or 10 years ago?

Amazing what a different hair style or adding/ losing some weight can do.

19. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Because it's no longer valid ID, and the law says I must produce valid ID when buying alcohol.

Just about everyone else in the country uses a bit of common sense and it's never a problem, until you get the odd smug wanker.
    Does the law actually state that though, pretty sure the duty manager is allowed to use their discretion.
    Whenever I've bought alcohol the staff always get the duty manager to select the ID not required button on their terminal.

20. Post
    Haisley wrote:

Thats a different situation. If you don't actually look like the picture on the ID then they should decline it for not looking like you.

21. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    the law says I must produce valid ID when buying alcohol.
    Not quite.

239 Sale or supply of alcohol to people under purchase age on or from licensed premises

(1) A licensee or manager of any licensed premises who sells or supplies alcohol, or allows alcohol to be sold or supplied, on or from the licensed premises to any person who is under the purchase age commits an offence.

(2) A person who is not a licensee or a manager of any licensed premises who sells or supplies alcohol on or from the licensed premises to any person who is under the purchase age commits an offence.

(6) In any proceedings for an offence against subsection (1) or (2) in respect of selling or supplying alcohol, or allowing alcohol to be sold or supplied, to a person (the customer), it is a defence if the defendant proves that,—
    (a) before or at the time of the sale or supply of alcohol concerned, there was produced to the person who sold or supplied the alcohol a document purporting to be an approved evidence of age document; and
    (b) the person believed on reasonable grounds that the document—
    (i) was an approved evidence of age document; and
    (ii) related to the customer; and
    (iii) indicated that the customer was not under the purchase age; and
    (c) the person reasonably believed that the customer was not under the purchase age.
    You don't HAVE to show them ID, they just need to see it to cover their ass if they're prosecuted. But if you're clearly not underage then they're never going to get prosecuted because not seeing ID doesn't mean they violated (1) or (2).

As for whether the ID needs to be current.

approved evidence of age document—
    (a) means a document of a kind approved by regulations made under this Act for the purposes of this definition; and
    (b) in relation to a person, means an evidence of age document relating to the person
    Well, that wasn't very helpful...

According to my extensive thorough research (read: a quick google) the meaning of it was never clarified by Parliament, so we'd have to look into case law and I don't have the resources to do that.

22. Post
    Haisley wrote:

And if it had been expired for 10 years and a driver license lasts for 10 years then the photo was potentially 20 years old, although it doesn't sound like the photo was the reason.

23. Post
    invisibleman18 wrote:
    And if it had been expired for 10 years and a driver license lasts for 10 years then the photo was potentially 20 years old, although it doesn't sound like the photo was the reason.
    A more realistic situation would be Passports. Mine expired a year ago, was only valid for five years, so the photo is 6 years old. I look the same as I did back then.

24. Post
    Do you get younger after it expires? That's stupid, I probs would have asked for the manager

25. Post
    I lost my wallet including my driver's license a couple of years ago. Since then I've been asked if I have ID maybe 3 or 4 times when buying booze and each time I just said no and each time they've shrugged their shoulders and sold it to me anyway. There's no way I look like I'm 17 or even 24.