[Wellington Forums]

Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.06 average.
(17 votes)
Results 22,276 to 22,300 of 22336

1. Post
    Put it this way, there are far more people doing dumb/illegal shit whilst driving versus cycling, but for some reason there are people who only drive that like to get on their high horses and trash all cyclists as being bad and think they don't deserve to be 'on the roads they pay for'.

Overlooking the facts that a lot of them also drive and therefore do pay for it, and more people cycling means less traffic for you to deal with in your car, less pollution and less strain on the health system your taxes pay for.

2. Post
    Yeah but cyclists doing dumb things has a higher change to death. For some reason there are people who only cycle that like to get on their high horses and trash all car drivers as being bad because they are saving the planet.

I blame people, ban people.

3. Post
    Cyclists tend to bend the rules to suit themselves.

I have a nice Green bike only area to wait in at a red light. But I'll just opt to go further than that and loiter in the intersection, or run the red light.

Or the light is red, and pedestrians have the green man. But I'm not a vehicle, so I don't have to stop or give way to pedestrians.

Or I don't want to deal with cars, so I'll ride on the footpath.

Or I'll ignore the cycle lane and ride amongst car traffic just because I can.

See this every day in Welly.

4. Post
    I wasn't commenting on all cyclists, I genuinely was surprised this morning. It's a route I regularly take. I was standing on the footpath expecting these two cyclists to die (or end up significantly injured). And it wasn't them just missing a red, the lights were like mid-red and they were like "ohhh f**k it I'm gonna go anyway".

Must be something in the air today, driving home was nuts. Going up the gorge there was a lot of very aggro driving going on. One nutter from a company called marmic (levin based, explains a lot) was tail gating, chopping and cutting in really aggressively. Was half expecting to find them in a wreck.

5. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    Cyclists tend to bend the rules to suit themselves.
    Yes. This is one of the advantages of piloting a fast, nimble vehicle that can traverse nearly all surfaces a city has to offer. Getting annoyed at this is like getting angry at pedestrians for jaywalking when there's no traffic on the road. As long as it's respectful and doesn't endanger anyone i don't see the issue but you can be that guy if you want to be.

I'm not advocating for anyone doing 30kph on the foot path while weaving through people at 5pm on featherston st.

Haisley wrote:
    Or the light is red, and pedestrians have the green man. But I'm not a vehicle, so I don't have to stop or give way to pedestrians.
    I do this all the time minus not giving way to pedestrians. Just move to the left a little and boom i'm just out side of the pedestrian stream and going earlier than the cars. I do it as bikes take time to get up to speed.

Haisley wrote:
    Or I don't want to deal with cars, so I'll ride on the footpath.
    Again if its done considerately i don't see the issue. In Wellington a lot of pedestrians will yell at cyclists if they're on the footpath so you can't win either way. As a cyclist someone will be pissed off with you.

A lot of motorists will yell at, cut off, or not give appropriate amounts of space to cyclists. Because cyclists and even other motorists cease to be people for some reason when drivers are driving.

This year:

I had a guy, parked in a drive way, over the footpath i was riding up very slowly on a steep hill, tell me to get on to the road. Mo$@#fcker i was on the footpath as the road is too narrow to pass a slow moving cyclist easily, stop blocking an empty footpath.

I had a bus driver swinging his bus at me as i passed him as he didn't think i had a right to do this.

I had a taxi driver cut me off and slowly clip me, as he drove around me to take a different fork at an intersection. Then refuse to speak to me when he stopped at the next set of lights (to be fair i was ****ing irate).

I had a guy in a black pick up nearly clip me at speed as he passed angrily due to being stuck behind me for about 5 seconds. He then abused me when we stopped at the lights he was in such a hurry to get to. Black pick ups are the gehyest trend i've seen this year for the macho man.

I had another bus driver driving in a cycle lane tell me that it was ok as he had cameras.

I had another car load of little G's pass within inches at speed and then tell me to **** off when we stopped at the light they so desperately needed to pass me to get to.

I've had multiple people turn in front of me and force me to break hard or hit them. This happens almost weekly. People either don't care or don't see bikes.

Cycling in Wellington is nigh on suicidal when i think about it. Keeping up with or passing traffic is also rather fun.

6. Post
    ^ ah, no. You don't get to pick and choose what rules to follow because you're quick and nimble.

7. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    ^ ah, no. You don't get to pick and choose what rules to follow because you're quick and nimble.
    That's what you think

Honestly there's a lot of places where its pretty dodgy/dangerous to ride on the road. Sometimes it's not a safe or viable option at all.

8. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    Honestly there's a lot of places where its pretty dodgy/dangerous to ride on the road. Sometimes it's not a safe or viable option at all.
    Yeah this. Up the hill at the start of Russell Tce in Newtown for me on the way home was a footpath everytime. Kent Tce/Cambridge Tce is dicey af, but there’s no other option. Wakefield St the same but thankfully you can do dodging pedestrians on the waterfront instead of being wiped out by a boomer on his way in from Oriental Bay.

As Kid6o6 said, some of the steep hills make for very impatient drivers if you’re trying to climb your way up on a bike. The footpath makes it better for both parties.

9. Post
    Cycling in Wellington is a cluster****, I ride in from the Hutt Valley sometimes when I am feeling a bit flat, get to work feeling alive as hell because I have escaped death again somehow.

10. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    Yes. This is one of the advantages of piloting a fast, nimble vehicle that can traverse nearly all surfaces a city has to offer. Getting annoyed at this is like getting angry at pedestrians for jaywalking when there's no traffic on the road. As long as it's respectful and doesn't endanger anyone i don't see the issue but you can be that guy if you want to be.

Do you think the bit in bold should also apply to cars?

E.G: It's a red light, but **** it, no one's around, won't kill anyone, I should go.

11. Post
    Soui wrote:
    Do you think the bit in bold should also apply to cars?

E.G: It's a red light, but **** it, no one's around, won't kill anyone, I should go.
    Yes in some circumstances. For instance in Quebec you can go through some red lights at certain times if its reasonable to do so.

https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/tourists-...-quebec-means/

Yes i realise this means requesting good judgement and that isn't always in good supply in the general population which then gets into the nanny state argument which again, i'm flexible/variable on.

That said a cyclist or pedestrian aren't likely to kill anyone they collide with so i don't think that the rules should be arbitrary for all road users. And yes, like most cyclists, i also drive a car.

12. Post
    The issue is that the motorist is deemed guilty until proven innocent.

The cyclists I observed really broke the cyclists-f***ing-around mold. The lady on bowen street was cycling downhill (east), at the intersection of the terrace she had a red light she was sitting at, the traffic heading west (up bowen) had a green left onto the terrace (and green straight). She just decided to go against the red, the left turning cars had to brake to let her in.

The one on bunny street had a red to go up molesworth. Cars coming along the end of Lambton quay had a green to up molesworth. Once again she was sitting on a red and just randomly went into the flow of traffic again causing cars to brake to avoid her.

They were just both mind boggling acts.

13. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    LOL this is not america, there is no jaywalking. And pedestrians are legally allowed to cross a road unless they are within 25m of a pedestrian crossing.

14. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    The issue is that the motorist is deemed guilty until proven innocent.

The cyclists I observed really broke the cyclists-f***ing-around mold. The lady on bowen street was cycling downhill (east), at the intersection of the terrace she had a red light she was sitting at, the traffic heading west (up bowen) had a green left onto the terrace (and green straight). She just decided to go against the red, the left turning cars had to brake to let her in.

The one on bunny street had a red to go up molesworth. Cars coming along the end of Lambton quay had a green to up molesworth. Once again she was sitting on a red and just randomly went into the flow of traffic again causing cars to brake to avoid her.

They were just both mind boggling acts.
    Lol, there are muppets everywhere, driving all sorts of vehicles.

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    LOL this is not america, there is no jaywalking. And pedestrians are legally allowed to cross a road unless they are within 25m of a pedestrian crossing.
    So can i cross on foot, out of phase, at a controlled intersection if its clear? I actually don't know the definite answer to this and my googling energy has been expended looking up that Quebec reference.
    Last edited by Kid6o6; 7th November 2019 at 12:48 pm.

16. Post
    You just have to accept that Vulcan hates everyone that isn't in his own collective group. Once you get past that its fine.

17. Post
    mmario wrote:
    Cycling in Wellington is a cluster****, I ride in from the Hutt Valley sometimes when I am feeling a bit flat, get to work feeling alive as hell because I have escaped death again somehow.
    Ha, yep. I actually haven't done that ride yet, too scared. Motorway cycling is... nah.

18. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    You just have to accept that Vulcan hates everyone that isn't in his own collective group. Once you get past that its fine.
    I cycled around Wellington while you were still shitting your nappies (including from the hutt). If you read my comments, there's no hate, just utter amazement at how silly these two were, so maybe you need to examine your own attitude.

19. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    So can i cross on foot, out of phase, at a controlled intersection if its clear? I actually don't know the definite answer to this and my googling energy has been expended looking up that Quebec reference.
    If they are within 20m of a pedestrian crossing (controlled or otherwise) they must use it. $35 if they don't.

If your cross against the lights then there is a whopping $10 fine (yellow / orange/ red/whatever).

There is a failing to remain on footpath fine of $35.

This one is interesting:
    Pedestrian/rider of mobility device/wheeled recreational device fails to cross road at right angle to roadway
    Cops could make a killing on that ($35 a pop)

And this is probably the closest to Jaywalking:
    Pedestrian/rider of mobility device/wheeled recreational device on pedestrian crossing fails to give vehicle time to give way
    also $35

20. Post
    Vulcan, surely there's a common sense aspect to it? I know the law is the law, but there's some leeway there - the police have a huge amount of discretion. I mean, you don't see them stopping every rider who rides on the footpath, or who isn't wearing a helmet. Even when stopped in a vehicle for traffic infringements, police will often let people off with a warning, even though they could lawfully issue a ticket.

Disclaimer; i'm not a cyclist, at all - no way i'd risk riding on NZ roads.

21. Post
    More like the ROI is to low.

22. Post
    That's one way of looking at it, i guess.

23. Post
    Pretty windy aye.

24. Post
    Windiest year I've noticed in the last few. Cycling in it is damn awful.

25. Post
    Kid6o6 wrote:
    Windiest year I've noticed in the last few. Cycling in it is damn awful.
    Have been wanting to get out for a ride all week. Only managed one on Monday so far, stupid wind.