[Wellington Forums]

Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.06 average.
(17 votes)
Results 21,976 to 22,000 of 22115

  1. Post
    Na, Portugal.

  2. Post
    Good lad

  3. Post
    purplez wrote:
    Privoxy you moving to Taipei? Beware, food sucks ass there, no good brunch either.
    Really? I haven't been to Taipei but the food and brunch in Shanghai was pretty good and they're sort of Chinesey similar.

    Privoxy wrote:
    Na, Portugal.
    Why Portugal?
    It has good access to Europe but I'd have thought France or England or something would be better.

    Portuguese girl I'm guessing.

  4. Post
    Job.

  5. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Job.
    That would have been my second guess.
    I'm interested to know what kind of job is worth moving to Portugal for.

    Privoxy should write a little story about it.

  6. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    That would have been my second guess.
    I'm interested to know what kind of job is worth moving to Portugal for.

    Privoxy should write a little story about it.
    Company called Codacy offered me a position, I accepted. The end?

  7. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    Really? I haven't been to Taipei but the food and brunch in Shanghai was pretty good and they're sort of Chinesey similar.


    Why Portugal?
    It has good access to Europe but I'd have thought France or England or something would be better.

    Portuguese girl I'm guessing.
    Shanghai is a far, far more competitive, international city and has a very demanding and fickle consumer base. Innovate or die in the food market.

    Taipei on the other hand is, food wise, pretty stuck in it's ways, the majority of consumers are wanting what they're similar with etc. Ingredients in Taipei are generally the cheapest people can find, hardly any innovation, few people trying anything new.

    Shanghai also has a LOT of highly paid expats and local wealthy who want good stuff.

    Edited to point out Shanghai is just hyper wealthy
    Last edited by purplez; 23rd June 2019 at 4:25 pm.

  8. Post
    I dunno, I spent 3 weeks in Taipei last year and I liked the local food.

    Suppose it's what you're used to, it was a novelty for me and it's not like I'd spent the last 30 odd years eating it.

  9. Post
    I spent two years there; the best food was invariably the foreign stuff - eg Sichuanese, yunnan etcetera. But that's very true.

  10. Post
    Taipei has its fair share of Michelin starred restaurants, of course Shanghai will be better/bigger - but coming from Wellington, anything will look good in comparison

  11. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Company called Codacy offered me a position, I accepted. The end?
    You can do better than that. Maybe you've already told other people but I'm still curious, it's a pretty exotic move.

    purplez wrote:
    Ingredients in Taipei are generally the cheapest people can find, hardly any innovation, few people trying anything new.
    Taiwan has a higher GDP per capita than NZ and Shanghai (just), they shouldn't be too strapped for ingredients.

    purplez wrote:
    Shanghai also has a LOT of highly paid expats and local wealthy who want good stuff.
    I noticed most of the city was just what you might consider middle class Chinese but there were huge exclusive shopping districts that were crazy expensive. There's obviously an upper class there with money to burn.


    That said, I don't know if I believe the food in Taiwan is shitty, there's no reason why it would be. Maybe you were just looking in the wrong places. The food always sucks in tourist areas in any country.

  12. Post
    I dunno man, I lived there two years, went everywhere, ate everywhere. It wasn't ever particularly amazing, but agree to disagree.

    The Michelin stars only came out in Taipei last year - i didn't get around to all of them - Longtail was good, but not sure if that's Michelin standard in say, Europe, but everything is relativd.

  13. Post
    purplez wrote:
    I dunno man, I lived there two years, went everywhere, ate everywhere. It wasn't ever particularly amazing, but agree to disagree.

    The Michelin stars only came out in Taipei last year - i didn't get around to all of them - Longtail was good, but not sure if that's Michelin standard in say, Europe, but everything is relativd.
    I'll take your word for it then. There must have been a bit of food culture loss or something when they all moved there in the 50s.

    If you lived there for 2 years you should know: why does the food suck?

  14. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    You can do better than that. Maybe you've already told other people but I'm still curious, it's a pretty exotic move.
    What more would you like to know? I've pretty much clocked NZ when it comes to my career, even in the challenging role I was in, I was still board of the slow pace and lack of update in newer technologies. Software engineering in NZ is still a long way behind other places in the world and there isn't really the demand to move it forward since you can service just about the entire population of NZ from a raspberry PI or two. Typically we don't build software to be used on a global scale. We build in NZ, for NZ customers (few exemptions of course).

    I've never thought of going to Portugal, and never really had an intreats in it as a country either. I didn't go looking for a job there, they found me and I said sure, why not.

    The missus applied and got a job in a few days paying more than she is making here (also a software dev) so yeah.

    Really isn't much more to it.

  15. Post
    So NZTAs new traffic lights at the Paremata roundabout which are going to be fustercluck are being mounted on the overbridge 60m (although NZTA say approximately 100m they are 60m back) before the actual intersection... seriously WTF are they smoking?

  16. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    You can do better than that. Maybe you've already told other people but I'm still curious, it's a pretty exotic move.


    Taiwan has a higher GDP per capita than NZ and Shanghai (just), they shouldn't be too strapped for ingredients.


    I noticed most of the city was just what you might consider middle class Chinese but there were huge exclusive shopping districts that were crazy expensive. There's obviously an upper class there with money to burn.


    That said, I don't know if I believe the food in Taiwan is shitty, there's no reason why it would be. Maybe you were just looking in the wrong places. The food always sucks in tourist areas in any country.
    NZ's gdp per capital is way higher than Taiwan's what are you smoking?

  17. Post
    I see fullas wearing branded "yellow P" merch around town regularly, usually snapback hats by New Era. I believe this is merch for a US baseball team, Pittsburgh Pirates. Is there really a large fanbase for some random American sports team in Wellington? Surely people are just wearing this merch because it's trendy?

  18. Post
    Yes pretty much just like NYY caps, there are some actual fans out there though.

  19. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    I see fullas wearing branded "yellow P" merch around town regularly, usually snapback hats by New Era. I believe this is merch for a US baseball team, Pittsburgh Pirates. Is there really a large fanbase for some random American sports team in Wellington? Surely people are just wearing this merch because it's trendy?
    It's them advertisting that they are selling P.

  20. Post
    **** you flamingo! If I can't use you when I'm next you you scanning you, you're ****ing worthless!

  21. Post
    Haisley wrote:
    **** you flamingo! If I can't use you when I'm next you you scanning you, you're ****ing worthless!
    Nothing better than walking down a busy street full of pedestrians during rush hour and trying to dodge ****ing flamingos all over the footpath.

  22. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    Nothing better than walking down a busy street full of pedestrians during rush hour and trying to dodge ****ing flamingos all over the footpath.
    Not my problem. This is 8:30pm at night.n I'm just trying to get home instead of waiting half an hour for a train.

  23. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I didn't go looking for a job there, they found me and I said sure, why not.

    The missus applied and got a job in a few days paying more than she is making here (also a software dev) so yeah.
    That makes sense, it should be fun. Make sure you go to Nazare some time when the waves are really big and watch those suicidal surfers.
    You're still being a bit dramatic by saying you're never coming back when you haven't even left yet though. You might not like it.

    BigLoudRoar wrote:
    NZ's gdp per capital is way higher than Taiwan's what are you smoking?
    I'm just going off Wikipedia, it says their purchasing power (PPP) GDP is higher and nominal is lower but I don't know shit about economics. My point was only that they aren't poor and can afford to have decent quality food.

    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Surely people are just wearing this merch because it's trendy?
    That's pretty normal isn't it? They're wearing hats they like the look of.

  24. Post
    Quasi ELVIS wrote:
    That makes sense, it should be fun. Make sure you go to Nazare some time when the waves are really big and watch those suicidal surfers.
    You're still being a bit dramatic by saying you're never coming back when you haven't even left yet though. You might not like it.


    I'm just going off Wikipedia, it says their purchasing power (PPP) GDP is higher and nominal is lower but I don't know shit about economics. My point was only that they aren't poor and can afford to have decent quality food.


    That's pretty normal isn't it? They're wearing hats they like the look of.
    I left on Monday dude.

  25. Post