Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Arrow

Mass Effect 2 reviewed (X360)

Review by Aylon Herbet;

Mass Effect 2 is a stunning achievement in gaming, much like the first one was before it.

For newcomers to the series, it's a great blend of RPG and third-person shooter, where you play the role of Commander Shepard in an attempt to save the galaxy. For those familiar with the Mass Effect universe, it's like coming back home after being away for a while. This is a very familiar galaxy and yet a very personal story, especially if you are bringing the choices you made from your original Mass Effect saved game with you. This is something fairly new for gaming, and means you will have a unique experience compared to everyone else who plays the game. It is the adventure of your Commander Shepard, and no one else’s.

Of course if you never played the first game, BioWare will give you a template story where some of the key decisions from the first game have been made for you. This still gives a great experience, however it means some moments (both big and small) will have less significance for you, or perhaps no significance at all.
    Read more here.

2. Post
    96 Metacritic score out of 41 reviews, not bad so far.

Currently at work and my copy is sitting infront of me, taunting me.....

*Cough* I'm feeling sick, better take the rest of the day off.

3. Post
    Cpt.Neon wrote:
    96 Metacritic score out of 41 reviews, not bad so far.

Currently at work and my copy is sitting infront of me, taunting me.....

*Cough* I'm feeling sick, better take the rest of the day off.
    Lucky bugger!!! I have to wait until Friday.

4. Post
    wow, this game is outstanding so far, a much better way for newcomers to pick up the game and learn how to play it.. than the first, i was perusing through the collectors HB today aswell and its shows some pretty decent ways to attack your enemys.

im all for any dlc.

and the importing of character was a breeze, cant wait to actually change my facials as my original character was fugly

5. Post
    I just can't get into sci-fi aye.. pity, alot of these games are damn well made.

6. Post
    is this game multi player over lan?

7. Post
    dst wrote:
    I just can't get into sci-fi aye.. pity, alot of these games are damn well made.
    Have you tried Dragon Age? Same developer and same style of storytelling but in a medieval fantasy setting.

8. Post
    Every game Bioware makes is pure gold.

9. Post
    A lot of long loading screens. Instead of improving planet exploration, it has been removed taking away some of the previous games wonder."

I hate how in so many reviews I find that the reviewers DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAMES THEY WERE REVIEWING. I think you'll find that you CAN explore planets, you just need to find the landing sites.

10. Post
    Sweet. Has the fact you end up drowning in generic levelled loot been addresses though? Looting was a boring chore in the last one.

Edit: holy crap, they've removed loot altogether. Hmm

11. Post
    SayNoToTheism wrote:
    A lot of long loading screens. Instead of improving planet exploration, it has been removed taking away some of the previous games wonder."

I hate how in so many reviews I find that the reviewers DIDN'T ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAMES THEY WERE REVIEWING. I think you'll find that you CAN explore planets, you just need to find the landing sites.
    I can assure you our reviewer played the game. I stood over him brandishing an iron poker for the duration.

12. Post
    An excellent game.

However the thing I find about Bioware, is that there storytelling is just a bit lacking. They obviously have some great team writers, though they are held back by too rigid a game structure. As in there is an initial linear setup, then a sandbox where you collect your team, then the ending mission. ME, and ME2 both followed the same structure, and it just leads to predictability.

Like honestly you basically knew the entire plot within a couple of hours of playing. Hopefully they will do something to mix the structure up a bit for ME3

13. Post
    I am loving this game...it's been a while that I played a game 3 hours non-stop...this is a game I just can't stop playing. And if I do I keep thinking what happens next or the need to mine some element zero. Gets my goty award hands down.

14. Post
    SayNoToTheism wrote:

Er, it's quite obvious that he is talking about how exploring planets with the Mako has been removed, something that was a major feature of the first game.

15. Post
    Just got this from Noel for $84. Can't wait to rip into it!!

16. Post
    JvJ wrote:

I can assure you our reviewer played the game. I stood over him brandishing an iron poker for the duration.

It's true, he did! My left shoulder still hurts from a decision we dissagreed on

But regarding planet exploration, as PtP also pointed out I was refering to the Mako. Yes, you can land on a planet's surface to do a mission, but that is not what I would consider "exploration" of a planet. Not compared to what the first game offered.

17. Post
    Not a bad thing imo. First one's exploration was extremely bland apart from different coloured textures and different weather in some places.

18. Post
    Mako > probes imo.

On the 360, scanning is a total chore.

19. Thumbs up
    Holy cow what an ending...plus I finally got to screw Miranda

This gets my GoTY of the decade...hope more DLC comes this way...will grab'em for sure!

20. Post
    Hammerhead will be available in the next content update apparently

21. Post
    PtP wrote:
    Mako > probes imo.

On the 360, scanning is a total chore.
    Pc with the upgrade, scanning is quite quick. Plus once you beat it, your next game gives you 50k of resources (Might be the long service achievement).

22. Post
    Beebegun05 wrote:
    Not a bad thing imo. First one's exploration was extremely bland apart from different coloured textures and different weather in some places.
    Agreed, however Bioware's solution was to get rid of it completely which I feel is a shame. I would have preferred it if they rather found a way to improve on it and make it fun (similar to the improvements made in Assassin's Creed 2).

I am curious to see what the Hammerhead missions will be like.

23. Post
    Lord_Metal wrote:
    Every game Bioware makes is pure gold.
    <cough> Jade <cough> Empire <cough>

24. Post
    How long has this game been out for? Some people seem to have flown through the game. Is it that short?

25. Post
    Hawkz25 wrote:
    How long has this game been out for? Some people seem to have flown through the game. Is it that short?
    Quite a few people have acquired it through nefarious means awhile back.

That said i believe it is shorter than the first one if you played every single quest & DLC. Although the main story is supposedly of a similar length. This is solely going off what I have been told I havent had the chance to play myself.