Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Anyone taken Japanese 130 at UoA?

How hard is it? and I know it says no need for any experience but just making sure I can cope with it as I have no experience with Japanese and want to learn the basics.

I'm taking some stage 2 papers this semester so am just a little bit worried about how hard it will be with them.

thanks!

2. Post
    konichiwa?

Seems easy enough.

3. Post
    I took it over here.......... {x}

4. Post
    Learn the following:

Banzai

Sake

Kamikaze

That's all you really need to know.
    My ear canals are very sensitive. They're stainless steel. Took a bullet in Corregidor. Passed straight through.

5. Post
    Disco Bacon wrote:
    Learn the following:

Banzai

Sake

Kamikaze

That's all you really need to know.
    Might need a little more for when I go to Japan.

6. Post
    Then add the following for your trip:

Yamamoto

A-Bomb
    My ear canals are very sensitive. They're stainless steel. Took a bullet in Corregidor. Passed straight through.

7. Post
    its pretty much just english except you say 'san' after any names.

eg: silviadrift-san can speak japanese.

8. Post
    Disco Bacon wrote:
    Then add the following for your trip:

Yamamoto

A-Bomb
    Hari Kari is pretty handy too. Except don't forget that it's written Seppuku.

9. Post
    How can you forget BUKKAKE!

10. Post
    id learn Maori instead

11. Post
    all you need to know is

DORIFTOOOOOOOO

12. Post
    if it says no experience then its probably just that basic... im sure ud be fine.

or just do what i do, goto japan neways, just point and make gestures to get around xD?

13. Post
    I took Japanese 130 last year. It really is starting from the beginning, from nothing. Then with Japanese 131 you finish roughly at... 6th Form level, maybe?

The content of the paper isn't the hard part, really, it's just the amount of time it takes as you need to practice and memorise grammar and vocabulary.

(man, I've not been on here in years, lol. Came home to this forwarded to my inbox )

14. Post
    Real men take

15. Post
    ~scorpio{ wrote:
    I took Japanese 130 last year. It really is starting from the beginning, from nothing. Then with Japanese 131 you finish roughly at... 6th Form level, maybe?

The content of the paper isn't the hard part, really, it's just the amount of time it takes as you need to practice and memorise grammar and vocabulary.

(man, I've not been on here in years, lol. Came home to this forwarded to my inbox )
    Oh cool, thanks, hmm maybe I should leave it to a easier semester then...

16. Post
    gleem wrote:
    id learn Maori instead
    I'm ****ing DEEPLY insulted. You some kind of ****ing white ******?

17. Post
    Are you planning to take it as a major/minor, or as a general paper? It's only available in the first semester each year. It's really only 90 minutes a day. An hour in the classroom and 30 minutes homework or so. If you take public transport to/from uni or have a few minutes at lunch, that's plenty of time to fit in some vocabulary.

18. Post
    silviadrift wrote:
    How hard is it? and I know it says no need for any experience but just making sure I can cope with it as I have no experience with Japanese and want to learn the basics.

I'm taking some stage 2 papers this semester so am just a little bit worried about how hard it will be with them.

thanks!
    Rosetta Stone

19. Post
    ~scorpio{ wrote:
    Are you planning to take it as a major/minor, or as a general paper? It's only available in the first semester each year. It's really only 90 minutes a day. An hour in the classroom and 30 minutes homework or so. If you take public transport to/from uni or have a few minutes at lunch, that's plenty of time to fit in some vocabulary.
    oh true, yep take the train 40 mins each way! Just want it for gen ed and maybe continue it if possible, don't think it is tho. If i can cope with the course work I don't mind putting in the time. I'm pretty keen to go teach English there when I get my degree or maybe do a working holiday.

20. Post
    Learn katakana then your set, most japanese people speak a little bit of english and for the rest you can just point nod smile and peace sign your way around.

21. Post
    Most Japanese who speak "a little bit of English" only know how to introduce themselves, say what class they are/were in and tell you who their favourite American actor is

22. Post
    what more are you going to need to know?

23. Post
    I want to argue, but your logic is flawless

24. Post
    I found Japanese at Uni to be shit. Really time intensive and I kept getting my ass kicked even though I was fluent in speaking it before I started. I learnt more Japanese in my first 3 months there than I did over 2 years at Uni.

25. Post
    bradc wrote:
    learnt more Japanese in my first 3 months there than I did over 2 years at Uni.
    ^this, theres just something about being forced to use it everyday(even for trivial tasks) that makes you pick it up quicker.