Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Arrow

BioShock 2 reviewed

Review by James Cullinane;

Sequels are very difficult things. Whenever we hear the word, all of us can conjure images of those watered down elaborations, of those franchises that have seen some modicum of success only to be redrafted, reheated and reserved to us like last night’s casserole. We sceptically poke it about the plate, looking for some of the original’s flavour and originality, before daring to take a mouthful only to get burnt.

And why should BioShock 2 be any different? 2K has fewer cards in their hand now. The mystery must surely be diminished: We know the failed social experiment that is Rapture – some of us now know it better than we know Christchurch – we know what a splicer is, we know what Little Sister does.
    Read more here.

2. Post
    Never enjoyed the first. Found it extremely boring. May make another attempt to play it, but chances are I will be bored to tears yet again.

3. Post
    On the contrary, I enjoyed the first. Hoping this is similiar.

4. Post
    just booted up a copy for the 360, so far so good, /hugs drill

5. Post
    The 1st wasnt bad,ill give this a look at some stage.

6. Post
    Had a really good beginning I thought. Haven't gotten too far yet as my console had a wah but from what I've seen its good. Definitely a step up from the first IMO.

7. Post
    Its funny really. I thought the 1st game was awesome and yet I am not too excited about this game!?!? I know I will play this but for now I am happy to just let it slide.

8. Post
    tried several times to get into the first, but never really could get into it.. i could see why it was enjoyable to others.. it is a fun game, but i just wasn't in the right gamespace to enjoy it.

might try again when i get some time

9. Post
    Slayer wrote:
    just booted up a copy for the 360, so far so good, /hugs drill
    MS. wrote:
    Had a really good beginning I thought. Haven't gotten too far yet as my console had a wah but from what I've seen its good.
    It's not out until Tuesday...

10. Post
    pirates ahoy!

11. Post
    Waiting avidly for my preorder (getting the EB special ed. with the vinyl ). I'm just finishing up the first one now, and am hyped as **** for this. I originally wasn't that interested, but the trailers stirred something deep within my loins.

Hopefully this one isn't such a shithouse port to PC (ie. mouse sensitivity at 1 is actually a low ****ing sensitivity), and has some decent attention paid to the control scheme. I ctrl-f'd that review (I don't want to read reviews lest they spoil it!); is anyone able to advise if the repetitive, crappy hacking scheme has been replaced?

12. Post
    Cloaker wrote:
    tried several times to get into the first, but never really could get into it.. i could see why it was enjoyable to others.. it is a fun game, but i just wasn't in the right gamespace to enjoy it.

might try again when i get some time
    Yeah I tried getting into it and never really became immersed in the game No fun at all.

Oh well Steam will keep it safely tucked away for when I want to try again.

13. Post
    I loved it up until the time you had to create the Lazarus Vector, BS2 is on my definite "To Play" list

14. Post
    I just get mad at some of the stupid stuff in the original, such as:

"Hard" hacks actually being impossible (by having alarms/cutoff switches in a full row between the inlet and the outlet pipes)
    The houdini splicers
    Never having enough ammunition
    The mouse controls being incredibly ****ed up until you tweak the .ini
    The awful interfaces for most things

It's certainly a very clunky game, as opposed to a streamlined experience. I'm hoping the sequel has had more time spent on polishing/cleaning the experience.

15. Post
    frio wrote:
    "Hard" hacks actually being impossible (by having alarms/cutoff switches in a full row between the inlet and the outlet pipes)
    The houdini splicers
    I know how you feel

16. Post
    HerbalSuicide wrote:
    I know how you feel
    Makes me so mad!

17. Post
    frio wrote:
    is anyone able to advise if the repetitive, crappy hacking scheme has been replaced?
    The hacking system features a small dial that ticks back and forward like a metronome over red zones, white zones, green zones and blue zones. Red zones trigger an alarm, white zones shock you, green zones advance the hack and blue zones advance the hack and deliver a bonus. It's a brief, simple process (but still repetitive) and it can be made even easier with gene tonic upgrades.

18. Post
    I judge that to be acceptable. Sweet .

19. Post
    can you shoot bees from your hands again?

cause if you can thats me sold

20. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    Yeah man

21. Post
    thoroughly enjoyed the first in the series, here's hoping the sequel (crosses fingers) isn't a big dissapointment like many out there.

22. Post
    I got bored very quickly with the first one , move on folks nothing to see here

23. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:

cause if you can thats me sold

Has anyone fully mapped out the effects from the mixing of plasmids, eg Fire + Whirlwind = fire cyclone or w/e

p.s I also ruined the reviews nice page with huge pic

24. Post
    damn now looks like i have to cough up the cash to buy it

i never got tired of the bee shooting ability in the original so it should be great in the second one

25. Post
    is there anywhere selling it today?