Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Arrow

Heavy Rain reviewed

Review by Aylon Herbet;

Heavy Rain is a unique piece of electronic entertainment, because it is not really a "game" in the traditional sense of the word. The best description would be "interactive movie". It has a fairly linear progression but how successful you are at "playing" it and the decisions you make will affect the outcome for many characters, the levels you play and the overall plot.

Writing a review for Heavy Rain is difficult, because of the narrative focus of the game. You will play Heavy Rain for the story, not the gameplay mechanics, which is the reason it feels more like a movie than a game. However, if I were reviewing a movie I would discuss the themes, only avoiding any major twists; but with Heavy Rain, the whole story is a spoilers zone filled with twists. You really should experience it all for yourself.
    Read more here.

2. Post
    The best (non-spoiler) example I have is having a wooden sword fight with one of your children. If you press the right buttons you will win, however if you fail to press them, then your son will win. In this case, I lost on purpose, because I wanted to make my son feel good about beating his dad in a game.
    Haha, I smacked the lil guy down. If there was a QTE to gloat, I'd have been all over it-- bull, horns, etc.

3. Post
    I would have sliced my sons head off with my wooden sword, it can destroy stars, my name is Gintoki sakata.

4. Post

5. Post
    Looks similar in concept to Farenheit. I prefer my adventure games hard (ala gabriel knight 3) not easy

6. Post
    I think particularly that the first fighting scene (if you don't count the wooden sword as a fight) really sets the understanding of how dynamic the game can be, I seriously wondered how variable the fight could be dependant on which hit you connected or punch you blocked.

I've reloaded different scenes multiple times to see how different the results can be.

Ground breaking stuff

7. Post
    It will be exciting to see what other titles come out of this new genre of electronic entertainment.
    Not really a new genre, just noticed a lot more than their previous 'Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit' game on Xbox/PS2.

That said, would pick this up in a heartbeat now I see the CE is available in NZ.

8. Post
    In, good fun.

9. Post
    Does it become it jump the shark in the third act and go from being a Se7en-esque crime thiller to a shitty Matrix rip off like Fahrenheit did?

10. Post
    If either Statler and Waldorf croak, you've got the job.

11. Post
    You guys make about as much sense as saying the games 'Up's are Amazing storyline and then a 'Down' as "Major storyline plot-holes"..

How a storyline can be amazing, yet have 'major' plot-holes is beyond me.

Personally, after trying the demo alot, i'll get this game regardless of reviews (even though that GP review is positive, for the most part) i like the fact that this isn't just another FPS, or another racer...

It's unique, and bigups to the team who made it.
    they got my dollaz.

12. Post
    yup on the list

13. Post
    dst wrote:
    You guys make about as much sense as saying the games 'Up's are Amazing storyline and then a 'Down' as "Major storyline plot-holes"..

the story is great if you look past the plot holes... kinda think of it as an american action film

14. Post
    dst wrote:

It's a bit like Lost. It's an amazing story, but it has a lot of plot holes. You can admire the general story and yet be totally aware of the flaws, one does not preclude the other.

But the fact you've decided to invest in it means that the review was accurate for you. It is a good game, that's our conclusion.

15. Post
    Sick of all these ps3 games that don't come to pc

16. Post
    how much nudity is there in the game? thinking about getting it.

17. Post
    Hallucinogen_ wrote:
    how much nudity is there in the game? thinking about getting it.
    on ign.com they have Madison getting naked and having an interactive shower. can see tits. no vag

18. Post
    turning_point wrote:
    on ign.com they have Madison getting naked and having an interactive shower. can see tits. no vag
    Time to draw the winner! Who had bets on 16 posts before nudity queries?

19. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Does it become it jump the shark in the third act and go from being a Se7en-esque crime thiller to a shitty Matrix rip off like Fahrenheit did?
    Hmm... it wasn't exactly Matrix, but it wasn't exactly a great move anyway. I was really disappointed when it changed. It had me hooked until then. It really rushed to a conclusion at that point. Doesn't sound like HR does the same thing, but as plenty of people have said it has a fairly large and obvious plot hole/s in it's story so I dunno.

20. Post
    No it does not jump the shark. There are no supernatural or overly sci-fi bits to the story. It is fairly grounded in reality.

21. Post
    Average review, if it was Halo rain would have got 10/10.

22. Post
    Beebegun05 wrote:
    Sick of all these ps3 games that don't come to pc
    Heavy Rain Originally was going to made for PC as well. Don't think that will happen now due to all that jiggly-the-controller stuff.

23. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    Average review, if it was Halo rain would have got 10/10.

So you think it's a 10/10 game?

24. Post
    void wrote:

So you think it's a 10/10 game?
    IDK, but as a sony fanboy I have a responsibility to reply negatively towards any review below 9/10.

25. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    IDK, but as a sony fanboy I have a responsibility to reply negatively towards any review below 9/10.
    I haven't played it, but the review seems fair. I would agree that Halo is pretty meh but that's my opinion and I'm not a big shooter fan.