Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

1. Arrow

Napoleon: Total War reviewed

Review by James Cullinane;

In spite of Napoleon: Total War’s apparent similarities to its predecessor, this stand-alone sequel could well herald a new format for the series. While the game retells the campaigns of its namesake in somewhat linear fashion, developers The Creative Assembly have retouched and introduced a number of new gameplay mechanics that create a much more intricate experience than any Total War game to date.
    Read more here.

2. Post
    Hmmm, looks good. I was put off by the previous release, might be tempted to give this a go..

3. Post
    The release date has changed on steam from the 27 to 24. Will this just be steam or in stores aswell??

4. Post
    bowLer wrote:
    The release date has changed on steam from the 27 to 24. Will this just be steam or in stores aswell??
    As far as we know, it's still down for a Feb 25th release in store.

5. Post
    Well, I caved and bought it. Fingers crossed it's good - I've always enjoyed the Total War series. I prefer the campaign map to fighting individual battles however. I tend to autoresolve every battle I have an advantage in.

6. Post
    The campaign map is by far the best thing about the Total War series, but I'm hoping the battles are more fun in this one.

7. Post
    It came out on steam today just to let everyone know.

8. Post
    Looks good.

9. Post
    Keen

10. Post
    They changing the release date alot on steam lol its the 26th now hmmmmmm

11. Post
    will be waiting at least a few weeks to buy this one, will wait till some real player feedback comes in. empire on release was pretty buggy

12. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    Review by James Cullinane;

Read more here.
    This "expansion" pack is better than Heavy Rain.

13. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    This "expansion" pack is better than Heavy Rain.
    comparing two different games in two different genres on two different platforms.

14. Post
    Midi wrote:
    comparing two different games in two different genres on two different platforms.
    That is the point of a uniform rating system, to make cross platform, cross genre comparisions.

So you can decide what to buy and on what platform.

15. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    That is the point of a uniform rating system, to make cross platform, cross genre comparisions.

That's not how it works. Each score is tied to the platform, the genre, and the availability of different games. It's ridiculous to put up something like an XBLA title against Grand Theft Auto IV, or an iPhone game against Uncharted.

16. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:

Not really, more to compare two games that run on the same platform and in the same genre. Personal preference would be more important than a review on determining which genre of game you bought, these scores are more helpful in choosing two similar games.

This better not be a repeat of the Uncharted v ME2 hoo ha

17. Post
    How dare you rate french fries, the Toyota Prius has great fuel efficiency.

18. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    That's not how it works. Each score is tied to the platform, the genre, and the availability of different games. It's ridiculous to put up something like an XBLA title against Grand Theft Auto IV, or an iPhone game against Uncharted.
    As all games are entertainment and some people own more than one platform, they can been seen by some as a uniform comparison system. Are you saying you would never use a review score to determine what you would buy, in different platforms and genres?

19. Post
    Midi wrote:
    How dare you rate french fries, the Toyota Prius has great fuel efficiency.
    But the George Foreman Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine's clamshell design means so much more ease in your everyday grillage!

Edit:

As all games are entertainment and some people own more than one platform they can been seen by some as a uniform comparison system. Are you saying you would never use a review score to determine what you would buy, in different platforms and genres?
    yes but I would view that review score as relative to other games in the same niche. As we're saying, if a kebab with beef in it scores an 8/10 I'm not going to complain that the vegetarian burger (obviously inferior, the wii of the culinary world you could say) was given 9/10 by the vegetarian review panel, because alongside other vegetarian burgers this one could be quite good.

20. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    As all games are entertainment and some people own more than one platform they can been seen by some as a uniform comparison system. Are you saying you would never use a review score to determine what you would buy, in different platforms and genres?
    All movies are entertainment, as are street buskers. Would you attempt to rate them using the same scoring system?

Are you saying you would never use a review score to determine what you would buy, in different platforms and genres?
    I'm saying if you assume a PC RTS from an established franchise can be rated alongside a QTE-heavy psychological thriller for a PS3 then you've completely missed the point of our rating system, and should probably just ignore review scores from now on.

21. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    All movies are entertainment, as are street buskers. Would you attempt to rate them using the same scoring system?
    Yes genuinely these forms of entertainment are rated on a similar system as games. A 9 movie means it is very good, as with a 9 game, and thus would not in most circumstances be disadvantaged in which form of entertainment I pursued. Or are you saying a platform may have shit games getting high scores because it is expected of that platform?

22. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    Or are you saying a platform may have shit games getting high scores because it is expected of that platform?
    Yes, if all games for a platform are shit, then the very best shit game on that platform will score highly. It's a comparative review based on all other possibilities open to the owner of that platform at the time. Otherwise we'd have to go back every couple of months and constantly lower scores for older games, which is just getting silly.

23. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    I'm saying if you assume a PC RTS from an established franchise can be rated alongside a QTE-heavy psychological thriller for a PS3 then you've completely missed the point of our rating system, and should probably just ignore review scores from now on.
    I expect a game getting a 9/10 to be every good, and if a game on a different platform and genre got 8.5, that if I enjoy both platforms and genres the same, to expect to have less enjoyment per dollar on the 8.5 game than that of the 9 game. Thus inter platform and genere games can be compared.

24. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    I expect a game getting a 9/10 to be every good, and if a game on a different platform and genre got 8.5, that if I enjoy both platforms and genres the same, to expect to have less enjoyment per dollar on the 8.5 game than that of the 9 game. Thus inter platform and genere games can be compared.
    If you expect that to apply across the board then you're going to be sorely disappointed eventually. In this particular case however, you're in luck - N:TW is a better game across the board than HR. Happy?

25. Post
    Coolguy6 wrote:
    Yes genuinely these forms of entertainment are rated on a similar system as games. A 9 movie means it is very good, as with a 9 game, and thus would not in most circumstances be disadvantaged in which form of entertainment I pursued. Or are you saying a platform may have shit games getting high scores because it is expected of that platform?
    When you go to a fair and they have that ****ing retarded game with the hoops and throwing them at the pole (and the hoops barely fit round the pole and your kid spends all their money and whines for the rest of the afternoon), if everything else at the fair was shit then that would score higher than it would somewhere else. An iPhone game shooting balloons could score equal to say MW2 because we don't expect the same caliber of game from an iPhone as we do from a console. If it's a shit game the review will probably not score it high anyway. ****ing retarded question.

Man I hate that hoops game.