1. Arrow

Snippets: GOW3 demo on PSN, Heavy Rain underscores no PS4, WoW as dating service

Here’s a roundup of today’s news found elsewhere on the internet:

Sony: Heavy Rain Selling "Incredibly Well," No Need For PS4 Yet (Kotaku) - Sony Computer Entertainment CEO Jack Tretton seems incredibly pleased with Heavy Rain's reception with PlayStation 3 owners, saying that the newly released game's pre-sales were "off the charts," underscoring that there's no need yet for a PlayStation 4.

Tretton tells Fast Company that the next generation of the PlayStation family won't arrive until there's a clear need for it. And with the PS3 just now hitting its stride three-plus years in, when the traditional console cycle is past the halfway mark, Tretton says, there's still plenty of life left in the console.

"When somebody can craft the technology that exceeds what we're able to do on the PS3, but we are still just starting to harness it," Tretton argues. "I don't know what the percentage would be, but we've clearly just scratched the surface in the PS3. You're just starting to see games like Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2, and Final Fantasy XIII, that are really taking advantage of the technology. You are going to see more and more value and more and more innovation across the board."

Jack's also pretty pleased with the annual "Year of the PS3" claims. Not from Sony, mind you, but from other folks. So which year is it again?

“Foxy, feisty” women are signing up for WoW and finding love (vg247) - You gotta love stories like this from The Times, which reports that women are apparently signing up for World of Warcraft to find their soul mates.

According to the article, which focuses on Jennifer “a slight, softly-spoken 23-year-old administrator who lives in Cumbria” who met her beau through the game – women are using the MMO to meet the love’s of their lives, proving that gaming is not just for “Dungeons & Dragons-playing, Lord of the Rings-reading teenage boys” or “a middle-aged man who lives with his mum” anymore – for ****’s sake.

Anyway, according to the post, stay-at-home mothers, and female celebrities are proving that the new face of online gaming is “feisty, foxy and female”.

“When I originally started playing, I had no intention of looking for love. I was settled in a relationship and things were going smoothly,” said Jennifer. “We [guild-mate Nicky] spent every night sharing photos and talking on webcam. In time we grew closer and closer. We didn’t play WoW for the game any longer, but rather to be together. Both of us were scared of our feelings but one night we declared our love for each other.

“Me and my partner separated shortly after this, however, we were forced by financial difficulties to live in the same house. One night we were arguing and I didn’t realize I’d left the webcam on and Nicky had helplessly witnessed us fight. It was at this point he came to my rescue.

“We now have a cottage together and I have a lovely job. I’ve gained a new family, new friends and a loving boyfriend. It may be early days in terms of our relationship but 12 months on we’ve celebrated our first Christmas together and continue to find time for the friends we’ve made on WoW, who supported us through everything.”

Jennifer is a member of the HELKPO guild, which has a significantly higher number of female members than most guilds, according to CVG, and The Times spoke with them too.

Funnily enough, the Time article never mentions online gaming being the cause of virtual or honest-to-goodness real-life infidelity – which is all the same thing really.

Still, it’s a rather humorous read. If not a bit fantastical.

EVE Online developer CCP opens UK office (gamesindustry.biz) - EVE Online developer CCP has confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that it has opened a new studio in Newcastle, UK.

The company is currently recruiting for a number of positions in Gateshead, with some engineer roles specifically looking for console experience. The outfit will work on "current and future" console projects, according to CCP.

Although best-known for massively multiplayer game EVE Online, the developer is also working on its first console project, EVE spin-off DUST 514, a first-person multiplayer shooter.

CCP is initially targeting a team of between 10 and 20 staff, and will work closely with the Icelandic and Chinese offices of the business.

The company has also recently employed a number of former Midway Newcastle staff including exec Robert Troughton. Midway's Newcastle team worked on The Wheelman and canned project Necessary Force.

God of War III demo on PSN Store (eurogamer) - There's a mountain of new content on the PlayStation Store today, and the biggest new arrival is a demo for God of War III.

That may have prompted THQ to release a 90-minute demo of Darksiders and it may not. But those who haven't tried the God of War-alike (with tones of Zelda), ought to.

You can also test out and buy FIFA 10 Ultimate Team, the card-collecting add-on that returns for a second year with a raft of improvements and plenty of EA PR noise. Any good? We'll soon tell you.
    PSP owners get to try out Eye of Judgement: Legends, too.

Today's new PSN game is Greed Corp., the turn-based strategy game with a green message: don't mine the world for too many resources or it will crumble and disappear. There's an interesting-looking PSP Minis called Age of Zombies, which you can read about on the EU PlayStation blog.

There's plenty of extra PS3 game content to snap up today: Borderlands' Secret Armory of General Knoxx, Valkyria Chronicles' Challenge of the Edy Detachment and Uncharted 1's multiplayer pack to name a few.

Elsewhere, the Comics Store for PSP gains Transformers and Avengers, and VidZone adds some Shakira, whose hips don't lie.

2. Post
    WoW love eh ?

3. Post
    GoW 3 demo downloading now

4. Post
    Lol these WoW females are always in relationships when they start these WoW affairs online

Just a nerdy way of getting close to someone you shouldn't be with alot less risk

5. Post
    You sound like a seasoned veteran there, Bt

Edit: Reading that today reminded me of this oft trolled forum post, which is definitely worth a read.

6. Post
    how large is the gow3 demo?

7. Post
    Midi wrote:
    You sound like a seasoned veteran there, Bt

Edit: Reading that today reminded me of this oft trolled forum post, which is definitely worth a read.
    I just read alot of news stories and they always are the same lol

8. Post
    That WOW stuff is probably fabricated bs just to lure in more and more zitty faced little geeks hoping to find love.

** t0mby downloads free trial.

9. Post
    Gears of War 3 is on Playstation?!?

10. Post
    PS3 "but we are still just starting to harness it" biggest joke all week i've heard.

11. Post
    (Ne)niaz wrote:
    PS3 "but we are still just starting to harness it" biggest joke all week i've heard.
    Sony has there grips on the PS3 but other devs are just starting to get the full use out off the PS3. Remember PS3 used to be home off the poor ports but are now equal or even better.
    Still there's always improvements to be made, even if uncharted 2 used 100% off the PS3 power there's always ways to improve coding making it use less then 100% then your able to add more stuff into the game.

a lot off devs complained how hard it was to make games for PS3, so you can't say they've all mastered the PS3. Remember GoW2 came out round the end off the PS2 life, well just before PS3. And god damn that was probably one off the best looking PS2 games. MGS3 looked better then 2 etc.....

So I'm pretty sure they've still got a bit left in the old' PS3.

12. Post
    PoPo wrote:
    how large is the gow3 demo?
    Its a pretty hefty 2.6 gigs for maybe 15 mins of gameplay, 15 brutal minutes though

13. Post
    People meeting partners through WoW is one thing. People signing up to WoW with the explicit intention of meeting partners is pretty different. One doesn't imply the other.

14. Post
    not for middle aged men who live with there mums,

15. Post
    nice xspike, but i still hate when sony trys to say "we are still just starting to harness it" the play station 3 is using technology from 2005, everyone knows that allot of the games released for the PC are ports from the PS3, :| they should be doing it the other way around

16. Post
    XSpike wrote:
    So I'm pretty sure they've still got a bit left in the old' PS3.
    The recent PS3 Firmware update 3.15 unlocked another 70mb of RAM for game devs to use. Apparently someone from playstationuniversity.com noticed this and put it to Sony who have since confirmed this boost in available RAM. Have to wonder if this could be one reason for the Gran Turismo 5 delay because they want to make use of the increase in RAM.

Uncharted 3 should be good! I heard Sony have spoiled them with a new bigger and flashier studio.

17. Post
    Not that sony could afford to bring another fully capable console to the market right now anyway.

18. Post
    Not when they still losing money.

19. Post
    maybe i should start playing MMO's again...

20. Post
    Who are these rich ****s that are asking for a PS4 or is it just Sony talking?

I've only had my PS3 for a little over a year and I don't want to be forking out anymore money for at least another 5 years.

21. Post
    is it the old e3 demo or a new one?

22. Post
    Yeah I think SONY and Microsoft know people aren't interested in another generation of consoles just yet, that's why they are focusing on bringing out their new peripherals (PS3 wand and Natal) which will hopefully extend the console's lifespan a few more years.

23. Post
    No need for a new console at this stage. The games that are coming out now are just fine.