Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post
    So, here's the story...

A friend of mine that lives in Council flats in Christchurch got a letter from Housing New Zealand or whoever it is she pays rent to a few months ago, saying they wanted to renovate the block of units she lives in. They would pay for all the tennants items to be stored offsite while the work was done, and would pay for her to stay in a motel for a week while the work was being done.

The movers dropped off a sh*t tonne of boxes for everyone to pack their stuff into, and she meticulously wrapped and packed everything carefully so nothing would be damaged. Anyone that's moved house knows there is always something that gets damaged, but what occured was beyond anyone's expectations.

Allied Pickfords moved everything into a shipping container on the premises, sealed it, hauled it away to their depot, then bought it back and broke the seal, and moved peoples boxes back into their flats.

As my friend was going through her items and unpacking them, she noticed that the movers had unpacked her LCD TV from it's box and taken it off the property. The next day (Good Friday) she set it up to watch American Idol. When she turned the TV on, she discovered that the LCD panel in the TV was royally f**ked!

Just to set the scene to impress apon you how f**ked we're talking about, most of you would know about the blue background most TVs nowadays have when there is no signal, or they need tuning etc...well this is what her blue screen looks like now...the screen itself is fine, they've somehow screwed the LCD panel, so you don't see the damage til the TV is turned on.

She waited through the long weekend to get in contact with someone at CityCare who arranged everything, and someone at the moving company to complain to...and the manager of the movers is sending someone over to fix her damaged entertainment unit and her damaged bed + headboard, but he's claiming they aren't responsible for the damage to the TV, so they aren't willing (at this stage anyway) to do anything about it.

I think something seriously fishy is going on here. When they returned the TV, it turns out they unpacked it and took the box away with them...now that we've seen the condition the TV is in now, we think it's to hide the damage to the box caused by whatever hit it, and then caused the damage to the TV, while it was in the 'care' (using the term loosely) of Allied Pickfords.

Everyone in the block of flats knows my friend well, and they know that her TV is well taken care of, and she packed it properly and whatnot so that it wouldn't get damaged. Bottom line is it was working fine before it was packed up, and now it's pretty much a $2000+ paperweight. The movers are saying they aren't responsible, yet whatever it was that damaged the LCD panel seems to be the result of sh*tty packing into the storage container by the movers.

Some of the residents also saw one of the Allied Pickford guys kicking a packed box along the ground, instead of picking it up and carrying it. The resident also confronted them about it. As it was told to me...

Resident: "OI! Don't kick that! Pick it up and carry it!"
    Mover: "Do you know what's in there?" *in a smartass tone*
    Resident: "No, do you?"
    Mover: "No."
    Resident: "Then don't bloody well kick it!"

So, to recap, Allied Pickfords did a sh*t job at moving and storing my friends belongings, they *seem* to be claiming responsibility for some of the damages (by the fact they are sending a furniture repair person to fix her damaged furniture) but they are saying that the package and storage of the TV in their shipping container wasn't their responsibility.

Anyone had any similar experiences with crappy moving companies, and could perhaps suggest what she could try next?
    She's insured, and she made State aware that the belongings were going to be stored while her places was being renovated, but they say they won't pay up because even though she's covered for the goods being at her home, and for them being in storage, the damage could have happened in transit, and they don't cover that...and she can't prove that they weren't damaged while in transit or not.

My opinion is it's Allied Pickford's f**k up, if they had packed/stored things properly in the container(packing blankets and the like), there wouldn't have been the amount of damage to items that there was. They slipped on their responsibility to be 'Careful Movers' as their slogan says...and now they won't man up and take responsibility for it.

2. Post
    Disputes Tribunal.

/thread.

3. Post
    Poor standards, yeah Disputes Tribunal.

Try and set Target on them.

4. Post
    **** target get Fair Go onto them.

5. Post
    what would you do i was the one who did this, i'm one of the movers BTW, i didn't think you would be so angry... it was for shits and giggles t-he

6. Post
    The TV was in the custody of the movers from the moment it left the flat to the moment it was put back there, they were the ones moving it and as such they are the ones who have a massive burden to discharge (That it was not those actions, versus the actions of the customer which is pretty much watching it). With liability this clear cut, it just seems like they're giving one desperate shot to try and deny liability.

Disputes Tribunal + Fair Go should see her right.

7. Post
    (Ne)niaz wrote:
    what would you do i was the one who did this, i'm one of the movers BTW, i didn't think you would be so angry... it was for shits and giggles t-he
    "Lolz you broke my tv! Funnies mang funnies.."

8. Post
    im going to bed, night.

9. Post
    Night br4.

10. Post
    Several years ago I used to be a temporary worker for the employment agency Allied Work Force, Penrose branch Auckland. There was one one day I worked all day for 12 hours moving office tables, chairs, computers for Philips from Queen St Auckland city to Mairangi Bay over North Shore. Allied Pickfords hired many temp workers from AWF Penrose, many of them are young Maori and Polynesian. I remember that time we had to be quick and yet careful while passing chairs, tables and computers down the stairs as we lined up and stood on those stairs. The single elevator in the building coudn't be used because it was too slow and less room. Judging some of the guys' ages, some of them look like they just left college.
    Poverty can create trouble in people's lives and I imagine one of these guys took his frustration out on the TV because of some argument with the parents that they are not receiving enough of their son's payment for living with them.

A life hint: You might need to get used to buying a lottery ticket regularly. A win can make you forget the whole TV drama and buy a new one: I would even shout Macdonalds hambuger, chips and softdrink to Allied Pickfords as well for their lunch to cheer them up because work can be stressful. If you treat them like family, they would have a positive attitude to succceed and always do the work carefully.
    polynesium

11. Post
    So your friend is obviously on some kind of benefit as they live in a Housing New Zealand house, yet could afford to buy a $2000+ TV?

**** I love our welfare system

12. Post
    Disco Dan wrote:
    So your friend is obviously on some kind of benefit as they live in a Housing New Zealand house, yet could afford to buy a $2000+ TV?

not really the point is it?

13. Post
    Disco Dan wrote:

My first thought. LOL.

14. Post
    s2s2 wrote:
    not really the point is it?
    It's a better point then the one OP is making.

15. Post
    i was a courier driver for van lines moving company over the summer and **** the moving business is funny.

they broke it and just dont want to pay for it. people who i worked for would have done the same lol

plus allied pickford are the worst in the business.

16. Post
    J`` wrote:
    My first thought. LOL.
    Plus one.

17. Post
    Disco Dan wrote:
    Knew there'd be someone to make that comment heh.

She's on a sickness benefit now, she saved like a mofo and got the TV before she was unable to work.

18. Post
    Might be worth reporting it to Housing NZ. After all, they hired the movers.

But yeah, your best bet is the Disputes Tribunal; this'd pretty much be an open and shut case, I'd think.

19. Post
    Any moving company hired by a government agency is going to have provided the lowest quote, and by association is probably going to be the worst in town, so this was pretty much inevitable. Take them to court, make them look stupid.

20. Post
    This is why you watch the workers load and unload all your shit

21. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    Take them to court, make them look stupid.
    Do it quickly so they no you're not ****ing around, and when/ if you end up going before an adjudicator of some form, take the TV with you. I would.

22. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    Any moving company hired by a government agency is going to have provided the lowest quote, and by association is probably going to be the worst in town, so this was pretty much inevitable.
    Not only that, but they would have waved getting any form of transit insurance, and it's possible Allied have some sort of policy about all care and no responsibility.

23. Post
    bluelight wrote:
    This is why you watch target

24. Post
    JaseNZ wrote:
    So, here's the story...

A friend of mine that lives in Council flats in Christchurch got a letter from Housing New Zealand or whoever it is she pays rent to a few months ago, saying they wanted to renovate the block of units she lives in. They would pay for all the tennants items to be stored offsite while the work was done, and would pay for her to stay in a motel for a week while the work was being done.

The movers dropped off a sh*t tonne of boxes for everyone to pack their stuff into, and she meticulously wrapped and packed everything carefully so nothing would be damaged. Anyone that's moved house knows there is always something that gets damaged, but what occured was beyond anyone's expectations.

Allied Pickfords moved everything into a shipping container on the premises, sealed it, hauled it away to their depot, then bought it back and broke the seal, and moved peoples boxes back into their flats.

As my friend was going through her items and unpacking them, she noticed that the movers had unpacked her LCD TV from it's box and taken it off the property. The next day (Good Friday) she set it up to watch American Idol. When she turned the TV on, she discovered that the LCD panel in the TV was royally f**ked!

Just to set the scene to impress apon you how f**ked we're talking about, most of you would know about the blue background most TVs nowadays have when there is no signal, or they need tuning etc...well this is what her blue screen looks like now...the screen itself is fine, they've somehow screwed the LCD panel, so you don't see the damage til the TV is turned on.

She waited through the long weekend to get in contact with someone at CityCare who arranged everything, and someone at the moving company to complain to...and the manager of the movers is sending someone over to fix her damaged entertainment unit and her damaged bed + headboard, but he's claiming they aren't responsible for the damage to the TV, so they aren't willing (at this stage anyway) to do anything about it.

I think something seriously fishy is going on here. When they returned the TV, it turns out they unpacked it and took the box away with them...now that we've seen the condition the TV is in now, we think it's to hide the damage to the box caused by whatever hit it, and then caused the damage to the TV, while it was in the 'care' (using the term loosely) of Allied Pickfords.

Everyone in the block of flats knows my friend well, and they know that her TV is well taken care of, and she packed it properly and whatnot so that it wouldn't get damaged. Bottom line is it was working fine before it was packed up, and now it's pretty much a $2000+ paperweight. The movers are saying they aren't responsible, yet whatever it was that damaged the LCD panel seems to be the result of sh*tty packing into the storage container by the movers.

Some of the residents also saw one of the Allied Pickford guys kicking a packed box along the ground, instead of picking it up and carrying it. The resident also confronted them about it. As it was told to me...

Resident: "OI! Don't kick that! Pick it up and carry it!"
    Mover: "Do you know what's in there?" *in a smartass tone*
    Resident: "No, do you?"
    Mover: "No."
    Resident: "Then don't bloody well kick it!"

So, to recap, Allied Pickfords did a sh*t job at moving and storing my friends belongings, they *seem* to be claiming responsibility for some of the damages (by the fact they are sending a furniture repair person to fix her damaged furniture) but they are saying that the package and storage of the TV in their shipping container wasn't their responsibility.

Anyone had any similar experiences with crappy moving companies, and could perhaps suggest what she could try next?
    She's insured, and she made State aware that the belongings were going to be stored while her places was being renovated, but they say they won't pay up because even though she's covered for the goods being at her home, and for them being in storage, the damage could have happened in transit, and they don't cover that...and she can't prove that they weren't damaged while in transit or not.

My opinion is it's Allied Pickford's f**k up, if they had packed/stored things properly in the container(packing blankets and the like), there wouldn't have been the amount of damage to items that there was. They slipped on their responsibility to be 'Careful Movers' as their slogan says...and now they won't man up and take responsibility for it.

25. Post
    WHAT THE ****?