Your Favourite Documentaries

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 1 of 19 123411 ... Last

1. Post

Your Favourite Documentaries

Hey I just thought I'd make a thread for Docos as I've got into them recently.

This thread is just about discussing your favourite documentaries and recommending them to others.

Recently I've watched:

The Union - The Business Behind Getting High (2007)
    Planet Earth (Both the TV series and the movies)
    Super High Me
    Super Size Me
    Zietgiest: The Movie
    Zietgiest: The Addendum
    Fahrenheit 9/11
    Bowling for Columbine
    Capitalism: A Love Story
    The King Of Kong
    March of the Penguins

I know the majority of these are well known so I was looking for some suggestions from you guys. I'm after any subject really. Just something that strikes an interest.

On a side note I do recommend 'The Union' to anyone that hasn't seen it. Very interesting documentary.

Attached Images

2. Post
    life of mammals
    planet earth
    life on earth

3. Post
    We seem to have threads like this bi-monthly

Home - an Earth/environment doco. Can't recommend it enough.

4. Post
    Super High Me was pretty good but couldn't help thinking the guy was a loser. I caught a decent doco last night called Collapse. It's an interview of Michael Ruppert, a independent reporter who predicted the current financial crisis.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1503769/

5. Post
    The 2009 "Life" series. Narrated by David Attenborough. Simply amazing.

6. Post
    Marjoe- About a child who was groomed to be a preacher by his evangelical parents and during this time makes his parents a heap of money. He of course falls off the tracks but later returns to the evangelist circuit and starts making a fortune for himself. But later, he can no longer handle his guilt, freely admitting he is a con-man and explains his method of getting people to give up money in the name of god.

The Cove- hippy "save the dolphin" propaganda piece but powerful and kick-ass all the same. Film is like a spy-infiltration thriller and the imagery at the end when they infiltrate the cove where the dolphins are killed is amazing.

7. Post
    miguelwrang wrote:
    The Cove- hippy "save the dolphin" propaganda piece but powerful and kick-ass all the same. Film is like a spy-infiltration thriller and the imagery at the end when they infiltrate the cove where the dolphins are killed is amazing.
    This one gets bonus points for being produced by the dude from "Short Circuit" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Stevens

8. Post
    Cocaine Cowboys

9. Post
    Some Kind of Monster (Metallica doco)

10. Post
    Anvil - the Story of Anvil
    Synth Britannia
    Century of Self

off the top of my head

11. Post
    Super High Me

12. Post
    When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_We_Left_Earth

13. Post
    Just a quick note. For everyone mentioning Super High Me. Have you seen The Union? I was just told it wasn't that wildly known. Was wondering if anyone on here had seen it? Great movie. Probably best weed doco I've seen.

14. Post
    The Smashing Machine

15. Post
    I've seen The Union. It was alright... a little sensationalist, but quite well put together.

16. Post
    Any Attenborough. The History of Britain is awesome too.

HappyCamper_NZ wrote:
    Zietgiest
    Each to their own, but I'm not sure that the term 'documentary' is appropriate for this. I think it fails the 'factual' requirement.

17. Post
    Bigger faster Stronger
    Tyson
    Taxi to the Dark Side
    Smartest guys in the room
    The Corporation

18. Post
    The 'Superswarms' one on TV1 right now is pretty good Awesome soundtrack as well

I recommend Dark Days by Marc Singer. It's a documentary about homeless people under New York City and Singer went and lied with them for awhile. They've built homes with running water and tv etc, very interesting.

19. Post
    ROSS KEMP - PIRATES & AFGHANISTAN

20. Post
    ErAd wrote:
    Cocaine Cowboys
    QFT

21. Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned Man on Wire yet

22. Post
    OP saw those but havn seen moore's healthcare one?

23. Post
    Can anyone recommend any good documentaries that are very neutral and unbiased in whatever issue they're documenting? If that makes sense

24. Post
    I recommend The Union for anyone who is against weed. They present facts that even the most opposed to weed can't deny.

Life... for those who have watched it, did you see scenes that were repeated throughout the series? Was watching it with mates and we saw some scenes repeated as much as three or four times over the series.
    Also, the episode which had a segment on a seal (irrc): it was showing proper footage for ages and then suddenly switches to 3d animation to show the seal underwater. Seemed out of place and really amateur.
    Not hating on it, just seems really strange for such an important series.