What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,551 to 6,575 of 6619

1. Post
    Ah, wicked! Love Nitto 1320, been trying to find my old flash files for it everywhere but I think they're lost to the ether

In other news, it's crazy the kinds of terrible things you can do with JS these days

Open this in a different browser to your main one https://theannoyingsite.com

2. Post
    we have most versions from 0.6.0 to 1.51 its just a matter of re-writing the server files blindly lol.

I have access to some of the stuff the random indian devs wrote but my lord its not pretty

3. Post
    Doing some more research on the vibrate API, jesus it proves how idiotic the W3C are.

Take for example, this blog post about how it could be used maliciously https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2014/01/mal...5-vibrate-api/

and the response?

(disclaimer: I'm involved in the W3C group that is developing the vibration API)

Re "Imagine searching through tabs until you found the single advert which was pulsing away trying to get you to buy new insurance.", the vibration API spec is pretty clear that you should only vibrate from a visible Web page. And I expect that if vibration proves to be used annoyingly, browsers may end up providing easy way to mute "web sites", or even handle them as they have handled pop ups.

Re unpatched browser flaw destroying the motor, it would also have to be on an OS that doesn't prevent applications to do so; and if one starts from a flawed browser, then no permission grant in the world would change anything to the problem (because you could then also assume that that permission grant could be buggy).

While vibration may add credibility to your (clever) pseudo-call attack, arguably the audio and visual aspects are sufficient to make it convincing on its own. I think the real attack vector here is that calling an innocuous looking number can cost you money.

I guess the case can be made that users don't expect Web pages to have certain capabilities, and the surprise this creates can be exploited maliciously; but that's probably true of any new capability, and unless we want to gate any such new capability behind a browser prompt, this is probably unavoidable.
    Really? They really think malicious parties are going to follow the API spec? It ended up taking the both the W3C and browser vendors over two years to figure out that the vibrate API was being targeted by malicious actors and to make it so that user permission was needed. No wonder that guy was able to make the most annoying website.

He also seems to insinuate that gating new capabilities behind a browser prompt is somehow a bad thing?

4. Post
    Anyone experienced in basic VB that can help me? I am by no means experienced in VB....infact no clue

I am writing a word document at work that is essentially a form that then has buttons that save the document (as when its emailed opens as read only by default and need to save changes made by each user) and attaches it to an email and user can change who to etc if required and click send.
    Once its been sent back to managment, they can store it as a pdf by clicking command button and it saves it (and prompts if name already taken)

Issue is, once it goes between sites, it stops working. IN theory all have same version of word installed references are exactly the same between sites when i open it
    Error is:
    Object Library Invalid or references to object definitions that could not be found. buttons stop working
    I have tried and tried but cannot seem to fix this. Its a large cooperate enviroment with 1000's of PCs so will not be able to make any changes like looking for all .E files . I tried adding some .OCX references as suggested with googling error but to no avail.
    I suspect its to do with active X

SO
    Is there a way to create buttons in Word that are not Active X buttons like you can in Excel?
    If not can anyone help change the code i have in word work for an excel? only 3 variations but I have not idea what to change over to make it work in excel 2010 as i can create non active x buttons there

Dim OL As Object
    Dim EmailItem As Object
    Dim Doc As Document
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set OL = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set EmailItem = OL.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    Set Doc = ActiveDocument
    Doc.SaveAs2 filename:=("\\xxx\xxxAuditform.docm"), Fileformat:=wdFormatXMLDocumentMacroEnabled, AddToRecentFiles:=True
    With EmailItem

.Subject = "WTH MIT Audit Form"
    .Body = "Please see WTH MIT Audit Form attached" & vbCrLf & _
    "" & vbCrLf & _
    "xxxl"
    .To = "xxx"
    .CC = "xxx"
    .Attachments.Add Doc.FullName
    .Display
    End With

Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Set Doc = Nothing
    Set OL = Nothing
    Set EmailItem = Nothing
    End Sub
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim OL As Object
    Dim EmailItem As Object
    Dim Doc As Document
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Set OL = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
    Set EmailItem = OL.CreateItem(olMailItem)
    Set Doc = ActiveDocument
    strName = strBM & " - " & Format(Date, "yyyymmdd") & ".docm"
    Doc.SaveAs2 filename:=("\\xxxx\Electronic Audit Forms\") & "\" & Environ("username") & Format(Now(), "yyyymmddhhmm") & ".docm", Fileformat:=wdFormatXMLDocumentMacroEnabled, AddToRecentFiles:=True
    With EmailItem
    .Subject = "Clerical Audit Form Returned"
    .Body = "" & vbCrLf & _
    "" & vbCrLf & _
    ""
    .To = "xxx"
    .CC = "xxx"
    .Body = "xxxx"
    .Attachments.Add Doc.FullName
    .Display

End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    Set Doc = Nothing
    Set OL = Nothing
    Set EmailItem = Nothing

End Sub
    and the pdf

Private Sub CommandButton3_Click()

Dim StrPath As String, StrName As String, Result
    With ActiveDocument
    On Error GoTo Errhandler
    StrPath = "xxx\"
    StrName = Split(.Name, ".")(0)
    While Dir(StrPath & StrName & ".pdf") <> ""
    Result = InputBox("WARNING - A file already exists with the name:" & vbCr & _
    Split(.Name, ".")(0) & vbCr & _
    "You may edit the filename or continue without editing." _
    & vbCr & vbTab & vbTab & vbTab & "Proceed?", "File Exists", StrName)

If Result = vbCancel Then Exit Sub
    If StrName = Result Then GoTo Overwrite
    StrName = Result
    Wend
    Overwrite:
    .ExportAsFixedFormat OutputFileName:=StrPath & StrName & ".pdf", _
    ExportFormat:=wdExportFormatPDF, OpenAfterExport:=False, _
    OptimizeFor:=wdExportOptimizeForPrint, Range:=wdExportAllDocument, _
    Item:=wdExportDocumentContent, IncludeDocProps:=True, KeepIRM:=True, _
    CreateBookmarks:=wdExportCreateNoBookmarks, DocStructureTags:=True, _
    BitmapMissingFonts:=True, UseISO19005_1:=False

End With
    Errhandler:
    End Sub
    Function GetFolder() As String

Dim oFolder As Object
    GetFolder = ""
    Set oFolder = CreateObject("Shell.Application").BrowseForFolder(0, "Choose a folder", 0)
    If (Not oFolder Is Nothing) Then GetFolder = oFolder.Items.Item.Path
    Set oFolder = Nothing
    End Function
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vb error.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	224487

Name:	vb error 2.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	224488
    Last edited by wigglywormnz; 31st December 2018 at 9:11 pm.

5. Post
    Sorry holmes I was born in the 80s, you're on your own...

6. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Sorry holmes I was born in the 80s, you're on your own...
    So am i unfortunately

7. Post
    Today my Airflow DAG to archive data from HDFS to S3 using Hadoop's DistCp (launches a Map/Reduce job to copy data) should hopefully frigging work - one file of 121GB kept killing nodes in the Hadoop cluster overnight, as DistCp was only generating one task for it, which means only one node handled and it filled the node's /tmp dir apparently.

Also enjoying some code golf in Python...

Code:
    to_delete = [path for path in old_paths if not any(excluded in path for excluded in exclude_from_deletion)]

8. Post
    I'm looking for a personalization engine to power a personal project. I just want something simple where if user A clicks a link, and user B clicks the same link, then user A clicks another link, perhaps recommend it to user B.

Anyone got any experience with this? Machine learning and all that faff? Not looking for some massive enterprise solution.

This might tick the boxes if I can get early access https://aws.amazon.com/personalize/

9. Post
    Fallen down a rabbit hole and started implementing an async rtree in typescript, kind of fun. Needed the performance for some mapping data I'm playing with for points in an area selection based on lat long x.

10. Post
    i've had the dreaded task of standardising one of our installers. NSIS is aids

11. Post
    I assume you're dropping nsis?

12. Post
    Doing some Spring Lambda stuff at the moment, it's refreshing to see how far its come since I last looked at this maybe a couple of years back. I've moved a bunch of server-based services to lambda functions with only a couple of lines of code.

Feels good.

13. Post
    How do you guys determine a contract rate after working for a salary? I have heard it could be anything from 20% extra to double the salary hourly rate

14. Post
    Take your annual salary, lop 3 zeroes off.

100K = $100ph, but that's in your hand, if you go through a contractor pimp add 15-20%

15. Post
    That's good to know, the offer I've been given is around 25-40% above my expected salary band which is well below that rule. Do you know if the length of the contract affects the rate much? I might be looking at a 6 month contract with a decent likelihood of getting it renewed

16. Post
    is 25% enough to cover the extra things you need to worry about? matching kiwi saver, sick leave, holiday pay, etc etc. I doubt it :\

17. Post
    Working with Google to create a new gRPC framework for .NET. Most of the hard implementation has already been done by other people (HTTP2, serialization, code gen) but there are some interesting technical challenges.

18. Post
    TD wrote:
    Working with Google to create a new gRPC framework for .NET. Most of the hard implementation has already been done by other people (HTTP2, serialization, code gen) but there are some interesting technical challenges.
    WCF not cutting it anymore?

19. Post
    WCF hasn't been cutting it since it's inception. Way too much ceremony to get it actually working.

It seems most people just defaulted to json over the wire, or MQ for RPC.

20. Post
    WCF's problem is it is an abstraction over any form of communication. You can try to squeeze whatever you want into it: WS-*, REST, message queues, sockets, etc. Using it feels awful because you have to go through the abstraction to configure and use it.

21. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Doing some Spring Lambda stuff at the moment, it's refreshing to see how far its come since I last looked at this maybe a couple of years back. I've moved a bunch of server-based services to lambda functions with only a couple of lines of code.

Feels good.
    Nice

22. Post
    Heh this arrived in the mail today as a freebie

Name:	img_20190304_163759.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	287.6 KB 
ID:	225355

23. Post
    Is it a promo or do you actively contribute to stackoverflow

24. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Is it a promo or do you actively contribute to stackoverflow
    You don't 'actively contribute' to SO, you reply with 'you're a dick, this has been answered somewhere else' and point to a thread that really doesn't come close to answering your question

Alternatively, you may also answer 'WTF you moron don't do it this way, just use MooTools jQuery React Vue Angular instead' but never point to any helpful resources in those languages, always tell them to google it, even if googling it brings you back to the very same thread.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 5th March 2019 at 2:50 pm.

25. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    You don't 'actively contribute' to SO, you reply with 'you're a dick, this has been answered somewhere else' and point to a thread that really doesn't come close to answering your question

Alternatively, you may also answer 'WTF you moron don't do it this way, just use MooTools jQuery React Vue Angular instead' but never point to any helpful resources in those languages, always tell them to google it, even if googling it brings you back to the very same thread.

Sounds about right.