What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,576 to 6,600 of 6612

1. Post
    ^ Nailed it.

2. Post
    We're building a second data centre on AWS as discontent has grown sufficiently with our current data centre providers to make the extra cost palatable (The traffic charges in and out of AWS alone will be as much as we pay for traffic + machines with our current setup). Fun times ahead.

The question is, do we drink the AWS kool aid and replace a bunch o stuff with AWS equivalents? Fun times ahead.

Incidentally, was reading up on data terminology because a guy at work has been saying "data lake" a lot (which is a fancy way of saying "Bung it all in S3 or HDFS and let the data scientists figure out what's useful") and discovered to my joy that terms that terrified me at the start of my career like "star schema" and "OLAP cube" is stuff I've worked with for years without knowing it that's what it was called. Feeling experienced.

3. Post
    Go all in, as long as you understand what that means. Life is easy if you accept vendor locking and you're okay with the price.

If you only dip the tip in you're not getting as much value put of AWS as you could.

Embrace Jeff with loving arms.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

4. Post
    We're still straddling between the old DC and AWS atm, so I'm stuck halfway - but if AWS works out, our two DCs will just become two different AWS regions, then I can go full AWS.

5. Post
    Iíve been working on a project thatís moved out 3 biggest customers out of a 3rd Party DC onto AWS the last 6 months. Weíve gone all in as much as we could with AWS services that were an easy switch, but the harder stuff we have kept what they had for now, with the intention to replace as time allows.
    Our expected expense for AWS is just shy of USD$8mill per year. And thatís a significant saving on the Old DCs.
    Really enjoying working with AWS now, biggest thing Iíve found that if you have to fight an AWS service to do something, your using it wrong.

6. Post
    Puk wrote:
    biggest thing Iíve found that if you have to fight an AWS service to do something, your using it wrong.
    This is true for just about everything really.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

7. Post
    There's a pretty sweet deal on web dev books at humble bundle atm https://www.humblebundle.com/books/w...-oreilly-books

8. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    There's a pretty sweet deal on web dev books at humble bundle atm https://www.humblebundle.com/books/w...-oreilly-books
    Nice, needed some graphql stuff.

Went down the rabbit hole of fixing up a service at work, which lead me to fix the security issues with a package it uses, which lead me to fix packages they use, and now I crave death.

9. Post
    Today I accepted a position at Codacy. I'm leaving for Portugal in 6 weeks with no plans to return.

10. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Today I accepted a position at Codacy. I'm leaving for Portugal in 6 weeks with no plans to return.
    The dream! That's awesome man, huge congrats hoping to be leaving at some point for ??? somewhere, glad you got your freedom.

11. Post
    Nice bro, perfect part of the world too.

12. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Congrats, gl with the job.

13. Post
    Cheers all. Going to be a bit of a lifestyle changer I suspect.

The missus has a interview at the same company for a intermediate Dev, so could be interesting

14. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Cheers all. Going to be a bit of a lifestyle changer I suspect.

The missus has a interview at the same company for a intermediate Dev, so could be interesting
    Even better news, ���� hope she gets it

15. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I hope your Spanish is tres bonne.

Well played friend, well played. All the best, I can finally sneak some more .net in here
    Last edited by Xenolightning; 20th March 2019 at 7:29 pm.

16. Post
    Oh, great... https://webplatform.news/issues/2019...another-window

The user can hide a web page by switching to a different tab in the browser, minimizing or hiding the browser, locking or turning off the screen, and switching to a different app on mobile, among other things.

In all these cases, the browser will fire a visibilitychange event to notify the page that its visibility state has changed. This allows the page to avoid performing unnecessary tasks while it’s hidden but also to save user and app state since the event also fires when the user closes the tab or navigates away.
    Yeah, remember when they thought making your phone vibrate through JS would be a good idea? It's like the people who make these standards are in league with the advertisers.

17. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Oh, great... https://webplatform.news/issues/2019...another-window

Yeah, remember when they thought making your phone vibrate through JS would be a good idea? It's like the people who make these standards are in league with the advertisers.
    You mean google? The developers of chrome? One of the biggest advertisers in the world? I suspect yes, they are likely to be working in league with themselves.

18. Post
    Stasis wrote:
    You mean google? The developers of chrome? One of the biggest advertisers in the world? I suspect yes, they are likely to be working in league with themselves.
    Yeah, fair point haha. Still though, the legit use cases for this don't really seem necessary, unless there's something I'm missing here.

19. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    Yeah, fair point haha. Still though, the legit use cases for this don't really seem necessary, unless there's something I'm missing here.
    Would be handy for browser game stuff mainly, sometimes the events could be useful but nothing worth justifying the abuse potential tbh.

What I did today was implement an async queue in JS/TS with concurrency limitation, the queue method will return the promises resolved value (instead of requiring any kind of callback etc) so you can essentially have a queue with say 4 workers, queue an item and await, doneski.

Back to trying to work out doing an R-tree in JS/TS

20. Post
    Working on a UI/UX mobile app design concept for a (hypothetical) remotely-controlled hydroponics growing system: http://atnight.net.nz/themes/portfol...creens-wip.png

Hoping that it might open up the possibility of some interesting opportunities if I can manage to get it seen by the right people.

So glad to be moving away from a focus on coding/development. The thought of writing lines of Javascript for the rest of/majority of my life was frankly nauseating, and not where my talent lies regardless. Just wish I had reached the realization much sooner in life and not substantially f*cked up my career prospects in the process. Oh well. Kudos to those of you who can tolerate it I guess.

21. Post
    Basileus wrote:
    Working on a UI/UX mobile app design concept for a (hypothetical) remotely-controlled hydroponics growing system: http://atnight.net.nz/themes/portfol...creens-wip.png

Hoping that it might open up the possibility of some interesting opportunities if I can manage to get it seen by the right people.

So glad to be moving away from a focus on coding/development. The thought of writing lines of Javascript for the rest of/majority of my life was frankly nauseating, and not where my talent lies regardless. Just wish I had reached the realization much sooner in life and not substantially f*cked up my career prospects in the process. Oh well. Kudos to those of you who can tolerate it I guess.
    Hi Fu.

22. Post
    Yup, hi. 'Grats on finally getting away from MoE. Thought you might've been holding out for that corporate gift watch or something.

23. Post
    Got an email from DigitalOcean saying they're about to start charging GST for Kiwis

24. Post
    Saw an article on an interesting new phishing proof-of-concept that works by creating a fake URL bar. View in chrome on android for best results https://jameshfisher.com/2019/04/27/...ishing-method/

25. Post
    All my GoDaddy hosted domains had their DNS records updated to point to NS2.BODIS.COM which is some spam shit. I have two factor login enabled and I got no email about shit going down. So who knows what's going on.

Guys might want to check your domains if you've got them through GoDaddy.