What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,476 to 6,484 of 6484

1. Post
    Been playing with dotnet core 3 more atm, found some bugs with the vsc extensions lol but has been pretty nice so far. Also been dabbling in Rust and Kotlin too.

2. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    There is a really neat little product to help you automate those pesky pull requests, you should give it a go https://www.codacy.com/
    It does actually look really good - even if they did hire you

Looking to pull in automatic linting and some static analysis on pull requests eventually.

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    There is a really neat little product to help you automate those pesky pull requests, you should give it a go https://www.codacy.com/

I've been learning Rust on my weekends and really enjoying it. Being a lot lower level than something on the JVM is something that was a bit of a shock to my computer science knowledge, but it's proving as a good learning experience.
    shit bro

4. Post
    As we're moving into the cloud/butts, we wanted to switch from our old metrics gathering/alerting, so I've been playing with Prometheus + Grafana.

I've installed the Prometheus JMX exporter java agent in one of my apps, configured to emit useful metrics for all of the Kafka producers inside it, and... everything just worked.

I can see why Prometheus/Grafana are the default for a lot of people these days.

5. Post
    Yup it's what we use.

Kamon is a great addition to the stack if you want more specific metrics on things.

6. Post
    Overhauled our internal metrics and monitoring a few months back too.

Looked at many options - including Prometheus. Ended up on the ElasticSearch stack.

Fairly easy to configure their "Beats" to do what you want. We have a small agent that monitors our entire VPC.

And we wrote a small wrapper around their .net client to push custom app metrics into an index, with support for tags and arbitrary properties.

Kibana is pretty sweet too - probably not as good as Grafana - but you can choose your flavour of visualisations.

7. Post
    Just won two tickets to Web Summit 2019 for my open source contributions. Looking at the speakers and workshops it's pretty damn overwhelming trying to decide what to see.

Anyone been in the past and got some sweet tips?

8. Post
    Have been playing with esp8266 / NodeMCU boards at home, doing some small home automation things with them.

Got a nice project setup in vsc so I don't have to use the arduino ide, and have a basic C++ project going at the moment.

So far just connecting to Wifi and setting up MQTT, next step is to add security features then play with the actual automation once I have a solid foundation. Plan on hooking them into home assistant.

9. Post
    Today's mission - build a Kafka cluster monitoring dashboard on top of Prometheus and Grafana.

Under replicated partitions and missing partitions turn red as soon as they're greater than zero. Broker load (measured as the inverse of the broker's request handler average idle, a 99% idle is shown as 1% busy) turns yellow at 80%, and red at 90%, as per chapter ten of Kafka, the Definitive Guide[.

Loving it.