What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Page 1 of 253 12341151101 ... Last

1. Post

What are you working on today?

Me: Trying to integration test a Flash video player in a web page from Java. FlashSelenium doesn't work for Firefox 3.0 +, so we thought we'd try using XPCOM to embed Gecko - don't even know if we'll get the Flash plugin rendering with that. That's turning out about as well as anything involving XPCOM does.

2. Post
    Writing an automated scaling system with frontend for scaling my services on Azure. Microsoft, for gods sake, please write a library over your Service Management API; modifying XML files to increase instance count is dumb.

3. Post
    Rewriting a Ruby on Rails app in GWT and learning the GWT 2.0 UiBinder templating feature

4. Post
    Finishing a search engine in C. Trying to shave off a few more milliseconds using LZW. Also doing some content control for a few web jobs, and working on a video gallery module in PHP for Silverstripe.

It's an interesting(ish) day

5. Post
    Okay, using XPCOM's precompiled Java XPCOM libraries failed; using PyXPCOM failed because we can't fathom the build instructions at all; so now we're building Firefox trunk from source - after trying to build from a 'stable' release failed. This kind of continual fail and rotting code is what you get around XPCOM / XUL IMO.

6. Post
    Stevie wrote:
    Finishing a search engine in C. Trying to shave off a few more milliseconds using LZW.
    Probably not worth it in terms of the assignment, but for a learning exercise it'd be interesting to do.

As for me: trying to perturb lists of movies on a per-person basis such that they're able to rate them more quickly, as well as get the error on a test set down more quickly. Got the latter, but not the former.

7. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Me: Trying to integration test a Flash video player in a web page from Java.
    Do what?

8. Post
    Make sure our whole stack works. From web application to video player. So we automate the UI portion of our web app to create an account, pick some content, and ultimately we need to test that a video player on a remote page loads correctly with the correct playlist. We can do it manually, but prefer to do it automatically. The video loading and having the right content can be checked programmatically - the video player SWF exposes some functionality through a JS API. And while I have several ways to embed a JS runtime in Java, none of them - as far as I know, can load a Flash object in the context of the DOM.

Selenium nearly works for this but Firefox 3.0+ introduced an XSS protection that breaks it, and the most popular Firefoxes are our gold standard browsers for rendering compatibility. So yeah, we need the JS running in the page to communicate with our Java code. Firefox doesn't do WebSockets yet, so that's out, and it still relies on your code being in the page tested.

In the end, we're going to work around it using Selenium - it can still read the values of fields and what-not, it just can't directly execute JS in the page under test anymore. So we'll get some JS in the page under test communicating with us - maybe postMessage() to the Selenium frame. Or communicate via inputs...

9. Post
    That all sounds a lot more complicated than just firing up some browsers and testing it manually.

10. Post
    It is. But when you're releasing multiple feature branches on a three weekly cycle, manual testing can become a real bottleneck, so we try to automate what we can.

Anyway, today is my Big Day Out - pet project day, and my pet project is a Flash video player implemented using OSMF. FlowPlayer's code is ugly, so I have a strong case of the NIHs.

Code:
    import flash.display.Sprite;

import org.osmf.elements.SerialElement;
    import org.osmf.elements.VideoElement;
    import org.osmf.media.MediaPlayerSprite;
    import org.osmf.media.URLResource;

public class Main extends Sprite {
        public function Main() {
            super();

var serial: SerialElement = new SerialElement();
            serial.addChild(new VideoElement(new URLResource('http://static.steelsky.co.nz/preroll.flv')));
            serial.addChild(new VideoElement(new URLResource("http://static.steelsky.co.nz/faunts.mp4")));

var playerSprite: MediaPlayerSprite = new MediaPlayerSprite();
            playerSprite.media = serial;

addChild(playerSprite);
            playerSprite.mediaPlayer.play();
        }
    }

11. Post
    Spent morning half of the day speeding up/optimising all this bullshit crap someone who no longer works here wrote.

12. Post
    Jihad Jeep wrote:
    Got the latter, but not the former.
    I was doing it wrong ... but , although now it's not so much different.

13. Post
    creating a price feed csv importer for OSc

14. Post
    x86 is so fun

15. Post
    Here's something I've been slowly dribbling work into,

A friend of mine has built a cube of LED's that is controlled by a serial port. I've been slowly putting together a winamp plugin that generates a pattern through the cube and sends it off to the cube.

Since I've not got a cube of my own (and the real thing is now half the world away) I've put together a D3D output born out of the ashes of the D3D SDK tutorials. I must say D3D10 is pretty nifty and I know I'm not using 10% of its capability. Getting the GPU to do all the hard work setting up the scene (yay for geometry instancing) was a surprising speed boost even on Intel on my laptop (GMA4500 I think).

Attached Images

16. Post
    I've been working on these couple of apps on and off...

Got sick of Net Usage Item being a Firefox addon, so I created something similar as a tray icon, with a pop-up info box. The tray icon's bar increases as your data goes up, and has a black notch to show how far through the billing cycle you are, made possible by me creating almost 300 different icons for the varying possible states within the 16 pixel icon width limit ;_; but hooray for compacting them into a single DLL. Only works with Orcon right now (untested with other Orcon users though, but should work in theory...). Might try and support other ISPs at some point.

And then my own Twitter client because I couldn't find any others I liked. Works well enough for me but isn't quite finished; no DM support yet, and haven't tackled lists. But supports your typical home timeline, @replies, search, posting tweets, retweeting, word filtering, notification options and managing multiple accounts.

17. Post
    At work I'm currently finishing off some refinements for a site that's about to go live (does anyone else end up hating projects by the end of them?)

At home I've just started working on a breakout clone in XNA after having completed a simple 2 player pong clone (slowly working my way up to more complicated games )

18. Post
    At work, working on a rather large internal SOAP web service built on Java/Glassfish. Hoping to move to a JSON/REST API at some point in the future, but that's a pipe dream atm.

Personally, just started work on http://github.com/frio/archfs, an attempt to make an Arch Linux based NAS which runs off a flash drive. Should be interesting to see how far I get.

Also working on refactoring my blog to use Hakyll (a Haskell static-site generator), rather than Jekyll (Ruby-based), in the hope that as I develop plugins for it I'll help myself to learn Haskell.

Finally, crunching forward on the intranet for A5 currently. Next week woooooooot!

Hervard, FWIW if you feel like expanding to more ISPs, Xnet export our feed at https://api.xport.co.nz/usage/?username=$username&token=$token, with username being the full "username@adsl.xnet.co.nz" (make sure the ADSL is there!) and token being an MD5 hash of a user's password. That'll return some XML you can parse .

19. Post
    Hervard wrote:
    I've been working on these couple of apps on and off...

Got sick of Net Usage Item being a Firefox addon, so I created something similar as a tray icon, with a pop-up info box. The tray icon's bar increases as your data goes up, and has a black notch to show how far through the billing cycle you are, made possible by me creating almost 300 different icons for the varying possible states within the 16 pixel icon width limit ;_; but hooray for compacting them into a single DLL. Only works with Orcon right now (untested with other Orcon users though, but should work in theory...). Might try and support other ISPs at some point.
    I tried writing one of those at a driver based level once. *shudder*

Currently: Trying to map our 'canonical' location names to German post codes. We have 3721 German towns with no post-codes... and 11000 postcodes with no town. So now we have to load up the Geonames database and try all the variations to see what sticks.'

But, we're doing it all in Python. It's gaining a lot of acceptance at work for this kind of data-munging 'what-if' stuff.

20. Post
    Doing a few things at work at the moment.

1st one is web forms that will integrate into our job logging system, no more emails with only half the details required, forces users to supply all the details and then logs the job for us straight away.

Another one is an accounts tools that will take multiple users and search to see if they have jobs logged, if they don't it will log a job into our system and put on hold until the date specified.

I get ages to do them though as coding it not my main job only something I do when we have spare time. Plus I have to learn heaps as I go as some of the things I have to do are concepts I know nothing about.

21. Post
    frio wrote:
    Hervard, FWIW if you feel like expanding to more ISPs, Xnet export our feed at https://api.xport.co.nz/usage/?username=$username&token=$token, with username being the full "username@adsl.xnet.co.nz" (make sure the ADSL is there!) and token being an MD5 hash of a user's password. That'll return some XML you can parse .
    Ta Should come in handy one day

22. Post
    Plumpa$$ wrote:

A friend of mine has built a cube of LED's that is controlled by a serial port. I've been slowly putting together a winamp plugin that generates a pattern through the cube and sends it off to the cube.

Since I've not got a cube of my own (and the real thing is now half the world away) I've put together a D3D output born out of the ashes of the D3D SDK tutorials. I must say D3D10 is pretty nifty and I know I'm not using 10% of its capability. Getting the GPU to do all the hard work setting up the scene (yay for geometry instancing) was a surprising speed boost even on Intel on my laptop (GMA4500 I think).
    That's awesome.

23. Post
    So, ages ago, I was gifted the domain to a blog after it's original owner decided to go back to college to train as a nurse. It's been hanging around on my server with a parking page and a link to a RSS feed that has dwindled from 40 odd subscribers.

Tonight, I downloaded a version of the old site from The Wayback Machine (yes, I got permission from the original owner to do that as well). The original blog was coded in a hybrid of HTML and XHTML (this was back in 2005, when XHTML was becoming the next standard) and the CSS was done in a stylesheet editor for Mozilla Composer.

My task now is to convert this site (originally coded for Movable Type) into a fully functional Wordpress site with decent XHTML/CSS. I've just reinstalled MAMP on my Mac after the hard drive in my iBook died and going to do a fresh local install of Wordpress tomorrow.

24. Post
    Plumpa$$ wrote:

Have you thought about using Microsoft's XNA? It's very easy to get into for doing simple 3D

25. Post
    //
    // Dear maintainer:
    //
    // Once you are done trying to 'optimize'
    // this routine,and have realized what a
    // terrible mistake that was, please increment
    // the following counter as a warning to
    // the next guy:
    //
    // total_hours_wasted_here = 16
    //