What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,051 to 6,075 of 6317

  1. Post
    While I have your attention - One of the reasons CP gave for the dress code was employers entering the premise and sometimes interviews at short notice. Figured I should look up salaries in advance, the answer I got was an average for entry-level software developers of NZ$58,484/yr. Should I be looking at less without a degree?

    Just for the sake of being prepared, not that I'm expecting to need to be.

  2. Post
    Depends where you live tbh. I know a quite a few people that got jobs with a degree here in hawkes bay. Most were on 35-40k entry.

  3. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    While I have your attention - One of the reasons CP gave for the dress code was employers entering the premise and sometimes interviews at short notice. Figured I should look up salaries in advance, the answer I got was an average for entry-level software developers of NZ$58,484/yr.
    Where in the country are you? That's very high for the Christchurch market, Privoxy can comment more on the Wellington.

  4. Post
    We tend to pay ~$65k for entry dev positions, but I'm also well aware we pay higher than average.

  5. Post
    and "entry" being fresh out of uni with a piece of paper and little experience?

  6. Post
    I don't care for what paper (if any) you have, I just want to see code examples of stuff you've written or repos you've contributed to.

    We're also a 70% personality fit type place. We're a very close team and if you're not going to fit in with that it doesn't matter how good your code is.

    I'm happy to teach someone who knows very little if they are a good personality fit and are willing to learn.

  7. Post
    Cheers guys, that gives me some idea then. I'm more worried about getting experience when starting out, though I guess that doesn't mean to take a low offer.

    PS I don't have a personality.

  8. Post
    And remember that good learners are highly valued and tend to rise up the pay scale pretty quickly.

  9. Post
    Today I've started a complete rewrite of our server management tooling. Dropping local mongoDB and Pusher servers in favour of Amazon's offerings (DynamoDB and SQS). Also thinking I might swap Guice for Dagger just because.

    It's always a little daunting when you take software that is working perfectly fine and rip it to bits just for the sake of learning something new.

  10. Post
    Been looking into options for UIs in C++ and C#.

    Qt seems to be a clear winner for C++ but only if their licensing terms work for your project. Other than that it doesn't look pretty.

    For C# I can get away with WPF if I don't need it to work cross-platform. But again, it seems like there aren't many good options otherwise. Xwt seems solid for cross-platform however it's new and the documentation is sorely lacking.

    Anyone got any input?

    That Windows Explorer I mentioned is what I'm looking into atm, so WPF would make sense but I don't want to lock out the possibility of bringing it to other platforms if it feels worthwhile at a later date. Likely going with C# here, if mentioning WPF didn't make it obvious.

  11. Post
    inb4 java.

  12. Post
    Hit my first annoyance with dynamodb.

    Using the local client for dev, there isn't a native gui explorer of the db. I've been forced to install eclipse just to use the aws toolkit to explore the db.

  13. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    Qt seems to be a clear winner for C++ but only if their licensing terms work for your project. Other than that it doesn't look pretty.
    Qt uses a dual commercial and LGPLv3 licensing. Unless you are modifying Qt itself and you are unable to release the modifications (e.g. making it work on a platform covered by NDA) then I don't think it will pose any problems for most projects.

  14. Post
    bitshifter wrote:
    Qt uses a dual commercial and LGPLv3 licensing. Unless you are modifying Qt itself and you are unable to release the modifications (e.g. making it work on a platform covered by NDA) then I don't think it will pose any problems for most projects.
    Think I misread the new licensing terms. I'll look again

    Suppose I'll just use WPF for my explorer project, because undoubtedly I'll want the familiarity with C#/WPF/VS for actual work.

  15. Post
    Saw the consultant at CP today, I start in 2 weeks. They waived the IT qualification requirement after someone came down and asked me a few questions about what I had done. Seems like this place suits my goals but it's very clearly up to me to make the most of the time I spend there, any slacking means failure even if I pass since the goal is employment.

    I'll be doing 7.30am-12.30pm each day so my schedule will be something like - wake up at 4.45am and get to the gym by 5.30am, work out->shower for 30-45 minutes then get to CP, do the course work, go home at 12.30pm and make sure I drill everything into my brain for the remainder of the day, work on own projects etc to use as a CV.

    Sounds good to me.

  16. Post
    Sounds like a good plan.

    How are you going to pay the bills though?

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  17. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Sounds like a good plan.

    How are you going to pay the bills though?

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    I can afford my rent/expenses/gym fees/food during this period but it'll be a little stressful, which is OK, I don't need things to be that easy. Just have to hope I have no surprises such as a meteor landing on my house or worse, like needing to go to the dentist.

  18. Post
    Ah good stuff.

    If you've got a good head on your shoulders you should be able to finish the modules in a quarter of the time they say they will take. Just power em out.

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

  19. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Ah good stuff.

    If you've got a good head on your shoulders you should be able to finish the modules in a quarter of the time they say they will take. Just power em out.

    Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    Yeah definitely. However I'll take my time on anything that I'm not overly familiar with, just to make sure to learn everything thoroughly. I'm going to need to be better than other people in the same boat if I want a decent job. Or any job in software dev without a degree :P

  20. Post
    And make use of this forum's experience

  21. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    And make use of this forum's experience
    I'll use you as much as you like mr bandit

  22. Post
    Viilai wrote:
    Think I misread the new licensing terms. I'll look again
    To be fair, it's pretty unreadable.

  23. Post
    If you want a cross platform C# option checkout

    https://github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia

    I had a quick look a while back, seems pretty solid, close to WPF.

  24. Post
    bitshifter wrote:
    To be fair, it's pretty unreadable.
    Lot of licensing stuff tends to be. :/

    Xenolightning wrote:
    If you want a cross platform C# option checkout

    https://github.com/AvaloniaUI/Avalonia

    I had a quick look a while back, seems pretty solid, close to WPF.
    Will keep in mind, says it's in alpha so maybe hold off on that until later. Xwt seems like it could be great if it had documentation (it's new). For this one I think using WPF is worthwhile simply because I've never used WPF - or at least that was my line of thinking, but now it occurs to me to ask:

    When making programs in C# what does the industry tend to go with? Of course it would change based on requirements but are there some forerunners here?

  25. Post
    Industry generally uses WinForms, mostly because it was common back in the day.

    WinForms is good to learn from, but trying to do anything that isn't a standard look and feel is nigh impossible.

    I'd recommend WPF; all my recent desktop endeavors have been in WPF, it's a pretty solid technology. A little bit finicky to get started with, but if you adopt the MVVM pattern it makes things a lot easier. For MVVM lib's checkout Caliburn Micro or MVVM Light.

    For Windows services I use TopShelf, which wraps a console app, and makes it almost "plug and play".

    Xwt, looks a bit closer to WinForms/GDI+.