What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,301 to 6,312 of 6312

1. Post
    bitshifter wrote:
    I does look nice. I was going to give it a try and then read that they were going to rewrite it in Qt (it's GTK right now) which to me sounds like the death knell of any project (the rewrite, not Qt). Maybe if they survive that I'll give it a go.
    Yeah that will be version 11, which may or may not make it. But even in its current state of 10.3 it's just lovely to use.

2. Post

CQRS and Event Sourcing; But more importantly is Greg Young, he's got a great way of explaining things and something about his persona makes me want to watch more.

3. Post
    Aww hell yeah, now I can play with F# on Linux with pleasure:

https://blog.jetbrains.com/dotnet/20...-ide-hits-rtm/

4. Post
    Postgres's time meridiem indicator code is somewhat counterintuitive.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/...ormatting.html

I can put 'am' in a TO_CHAR call and it will return 'pm' if the timestamp I'm working with is in the afternoon.

5. Post
    Struggling a bit to get my head around Akka, Kafka and Cassandra. Having spent the last 5ish years working with noSql databases going back to tables and columns is proving a bit more testing than I remember it.

6. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Struggling a bit to get my head around Akka, Kafka and Cassandra. Having spent the last 5ish years working with noSql databases going back to tables and columns is proving a bit more testing than I remember it.
    The thing I learned when learning databases is I hate databases regardless of how well I can work with them. It's my cancer. I've only used MySQL & similar, might have to look into NoSQL.

7. Post
    Wtf. Don't let MySQL put you off DBs, try a proper one like Postgres.

Privoxy - Cassandra is NoSQL. It's a horribly complex distributed key-value store. When the best way to change your 'schema' in Cassandra is "read all the data with Spark, and then write it back out in the new format", I shudder. Calling Cassandra a database is offensive

Kafka's straight-forward, although a little fiddly in terms of sys-admin, but basically it's a bunch of pub-sub queues where consumers are responsible for maintaining their own state. I'm working with Kafka at the moment, trying to figure out why my producers keep blocking. I think the broker is struggling somehow.

Akka is a bit more of a complicated beast, depending on what you're doing with it. I do like actors though.

8. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:

Privoxy - Cassandra is NoSQL. It's a horribly complex distributed key-value store. When the best way to change your 'schema' in Cassandra is "read all the data with Spark, and then write it back out in the new format", I shudder. Calling Cassandra a database is offensive

Kafka's straight-forward, although a little fiddly in terms of sys-admin, but basically it's a bunch of pub-sub queues where consumers are responsible for maintaining their own state. I'm working with Kafka at the moment, trying to figure out why my producers keep blocking. I think the broker is struggling somehow.

Akka is a bit more of a complicated beast, depending on what you're doing with it. I do like actors though.
    I know what you're meaning with Cassandra, using Lagom at the moment and I'm writing summaries of my data for the read side processors as tables and persisting them in Cass;

Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong? For example I'm doing a lot of this lately
    Code:
        private CompletionStage<Done> prepareWriteTitle() {
            return session.prepare("INSERT INTO Instance_Summary (" +
                    "id, " +
                    "name, " +
                    "description, " +
                    "instanceType, " +
                    "imageId, " +
                    "securityGroupIds, " +
                    "keyName, " +
                    "subnetId, " +
                    "instanceId, " +
                    "state, " +
                    "publicIp, " +
                    "privateIp " +
                    ") VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)")

.thenApply(ps -> {
                        this.writeTitle = ps;
                        return Done.getInstance();
                    });
        }
    Perhaps it's just how Lagom handles stuff, but I miss being able to easily just throw my object into Mongo and not have to think about it.

9. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Ahh, I don't think you can ever truly avoid a DB when a DB is required. They each have their purposes, MySQL is fast and secure but unreliable, whereas I believe it was Postgres that is fully reliable.

If I had to resort to MySQL I'd be using MariaDB at the very least.

10. Post
    Postgres is fast and secure also. We've been using it in production for years with no complaints.

11. Post
    ^This. If Postgres isn't "fast enough" for your use, then you're doing something really _really_ wrong.

12. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    I know what you're meaning with Cassandra, using Lagom at the moment and I'm writing summaries of my data for the read side processors as tables and persisting them in Cass;

Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong? For example I'm doing a lot of this lately
    Code:
        private CompletionStage<Done> prepareWriteTitle() {
            return session.prepare("INSERT INTO Instance_Summary (" +
                    "id, " +
                    "name, " +
                    "description, " +
                    "instanceType, " +
                    "imageId, " +
                    "securityGroupIds, " +
                    "keyName, " +
                    "subnetId, " +
                    "instanceId, " +
                    "state, " +
                    "publicIp, " +
                    "privateIp " +
                    ") VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?)")

.thenApply(ps -> {
                        this.writeTitle = ps;
                        return Done.getInstance();
                    });
        }
    Perhaps it's just how Lagom handles stuff, but I miss being able to easily just throw my object into Mongo and not have to think about it.
    Hmm not sure mate, I haven't used it in anger before.