What are you working on today?

Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
(9 votes)
Results 6,401 to 6,425 of 6467

1. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Sorry holmes I was born in the 80s, you're on your own...
    So am i unfortunately

2. Post
    Today my Airflow DAG to archive data from HDFS to S3 using Hadoop's DistCp (launches a Map/Reduce job to copy data) should hopefully frigging work - one file of 121GB kept killing nodes in the Hadoop cluster overnight, as DistCp was only generating one task for it, which means only one node handled and it filled the node's /tmp dir apparently.

Also enjoying some code golf in Python...

Code:
    to_delete = [path for path in old_paths if not any(excluded in path for excluded in exclude_from_deletion)]

3. Post
    I'm looking for a personalization engine to power a personal project. I just want something simple where if user A clicks a link, and user B clicks the same link, then user A clicks another link, perhaps recommend it to user B.

Anyone got any experience with this? Machine learning and all that faff? Not looking for some massive enterprise solution.

This might tick the boxes if I can get early access https://aws.amazon.com/personalize/

4. Post
    Fallen down a rabbit hole and started implementing an async rtree in typescript, kind of fun. Needed the performance for some mapping data I'm playing with for points in an area selection based on lat long x.

5. Post
    i've had the dreaded task of standardising one of our installers. NSIS is aids

6. Post
    I assume you're dropping nsis?

7. Post
    Doing some Spring Lambda stuff at the moment, it's refreshing to see how far its come since I last looked at this maybe a couple of years back. I've moved a bunch of server-based services to lambda functions with only a couple of lines of code.

Feels good.

8. Post
    How do you guys determine a contract rate after working for a salary? I have heard it could be anything from 20% extra to double the salary hourly rate

9. Post
    Take your annual salary, lop 3 zeroes off.

100K = $100ph, but that's in your hand, if you go through a contractor pimp add 15-20%

10. Post
    That's good to know, the offer I've been given is around 25-40% above my expected salary band which is well below that rule. Do you know if the length of the contract affects the rate much? I might be looking at a 6 month contract with a decent likelihood of getting it renewed

11. Post
    is 25% enough to cover the extra things you need to worry about? matching kiwi saver, sick leave, holiday pay, etc etc. I doubt it :\

12. Post
    Working with Google to create a new gRPC framework for .NET. Most of the hard implementation has already been done by other people (HTTP2, serialization, code gen) but there are some interesting technical challenges.

13. Post
    TD wrote:
    Working with Google to create a new gRPC framework for .NET. Most of the hard implementation has already been done by other people (HTTP2, serialization, code gen) but there are some interesting technical challenges.
    WCF not cutting it anymore?

14. Post
    WCF hasn't been cutting it since it's inception. Way too much ceremony to get it actually working.

It seems most people just defaulted to json over the wire, or MQ for RPC.

15. Post
    WCF's problem is it is an abstraction over any form of communication. You can try to squeeze whatever you want into it: WS-*, REST, message queues, sockets, etc. Using it feels awful because you have to go through the abstraction to configure and use it.

16. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Doing some Spring Lambda stuff at the moment, it's refreshing to see how far its come since I last looked at this maybe a couple of years back. I've moved a bunch of server-based services to lambda functions with only a couple of lines of code.

Feels good.
    Nice

17. Post
    Heh this arrived in the mail today as a freebie

Name:  img_20190304_163759.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  287.6 KB

18. Post
    Is it a promo or do you actively contribute to stackoverflow

19. Post
    Lethargic wrote:
    Is it a promo or do you actively contribute to stackoverflow
    You don't 'actively contribute' to SO, you reply with 'you're a dick, this has been answered somewhere else' and point to a thread that really doesn't come close to answering your question

Alternatively, you may also answer 'WTF you moron don't do it this way, just use MooTools jQuery React Vue Angular instead' but never point to any helpful resources in those languages, always tell them to google it, even if googling it brings you back to the very same thread.
    Last edited by BURN_BABY; 5th March 2019 at 2:50 pm.

20. Post
    BURN_BABY wrote:
    You don't 'actively contribute' to SO, you reply with 'you're a dick, this has been answered somewhere else' and point to a thread that really doesn't come close to answering your question

Alternatively, you may also answer 'WTF you moron don't do it this way, just use MooTools jQuery React Vue Angular instead' but never point to any helpful resources in those languages, always tell them to google it, even if googling it brings you back to the very same thread.

Sounds about right.

21. Post
    ^ Nailed it.

22. Post
    We're building a second data centre on AWS as discontent has grown sufficiently with our current data centre providers to make the extra cost palatable (The traffic charges in and out of AWS alone will be as much as we pay for traffic + machines with our current setup). Fun times ahead.

The question is, do we drink the AWS kool aid and replace a bunch o stuff with AWS equivalents? Fun times ahead.

Incidentally, was reading up on data terminology because a guy at work has been saying "data lake" a lot (which is a fancy way of saying "Bung it all in S3 or HDFS and let the data scientists figure out what's useful") and discovered to my joy that terms that terrified me at the start of my career like "star schema" and "OLAP cube" is stuff I've worked with for years without knowing it that's what it was called. Feeling experienced.

23. Post
    Go all in, as long as you understand what that means. Life is easy if you accept vendor locking and you're okay with the price.

If you only dip the tip in you're not getting as much value put of AWS as you could.

Embrace Jeff with loving arms.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

24. Post
    We're still straddling between the old DC and AWS atm, so I'm stuck halfway - but if AWS works out, our two DCs will just become two different AWS regions, then I can go full AWS.

25. Post
    Iíve been working on a project thatís moved out 3 biggest customers out of a 3rd Party DC onto AWS the last 6 months. Weíve gone all in as much as we could with AWS services that were an easy switch, but the harder stuff we have kept what they had for now, with the intention to replace as time allows.
    Our expected expense for AWS is just shy of USD$8mill per year. And thatís a significant saving on the Old DCs.
    Really enjoying working with AWS now, biggest thing Iíve found that if you have to fight an AWS service to do something, your using it wrong.