(25 votes)
Results 9,126 to 9,150 of 9413

1. Post
    BF1 40% off on Origin.

2. Post
    Assassins Creed 3 Free for Christmas

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-US/game/assassins-creed-3/

3. Post
    Is it just me or is Steam offering us a fairly generous exchange rate with their NZD prices?

By my calculation we're buying games at ~0.83 whereas the current market rate is ~0.69. For a US$40 game, we end up paying NZ$48 rather than NZ$58.

Clearly I'm not complaining, just curious as to how they've come up with the rate (it hasn't been that high since September 2014).

If nothing else I'll now compare the Steam NZD price against other websites (GMG, BundleStars, etc) before purchasing, even if the other site has a lower marked USD price.

4. Post

5. Post
    UncleGeb wrote:
    Is it just me or is Steam offering us a fairly generous exchange rate with their NZD prices?

By my calculation we're buying games at ~0.83 whereas the current market rate is ~0.69. For a US$40 game, we end up paying NZ$48 rather than NZ$58.

Clearly I'm not complaining, just curious as to how they've come up with the rate (it hasn't been that high since September 2014).

If nothing else I'll now compare the Steam NZD price against other websites (GMG, BundleStars, etc) before purchasing, even if the other site has a lower marked USD price.
    You are forgetting economies of scale and regional pricing. Simply comparing the USD price from the American storefront is not a proper comparison. A direct currency to currency conversion is too simplistic in this particular case.

Remember before we got NZD, sure our games were priced in USD, but the USD pricing for the NZ store and the USD pricing for the American store still differed. Australia currently has this situation. It can be seen clearer because Australia still use USD pricing for their store, plus their 'regional' pricing is much higher in certain cases.

Now, since getting NZD pricing, the way that Valve/Steam peg the price of games for us has changed. As you have seen, our game pricing is in many cases cheaper than the Americans when you do a direct conversion. Another example of this is Canada. The NZ and Canada steam stores both price in their respective currencies, and in most cases if you do a direct NZD>USD and CAD>USD conversion the games work out cheaper than using the American storefront. Why is this? Its the same reason if you do a conversion from Russia, Brazil, Singapore, or even Norway to USD the price is still cheaper in converted USD than the American storefront USD price. NZ, like the other countries listed, is in a different pricing tier.

tl;dr Steam pricing is not as simple as a direct NZD to USD conversion, there are other factors involved.

6. Post
    Cryo* wrote:
    You are forgetting economies of scale and regional pricing. Simply comparing the USD price from the American storefront is not a proper comparison. A direct currency to currency conversion is too simplistic in this particular case.

Remember before we got NZD, sure our games were priced in USD, but the USD pricing for the NZ store and the USD pricing for the American store still differed. Australia currently has this situation. It can be seen clearer because Australia still use USD pricing for their store, plus their 'regional' pricing is much higher in certain cases.

Now, since getting NZD pricing, the way that Valve/Steam peg the price of games for us has changed. As you have seen, our game pricing is in many cases cheaper than the Americans when you do a direct conversion. Another example of this is Canada. The NZ and Canada steam stores both price in their respective currencies, and in most cases if you do a direct NZD>USD and CAD>USD conversion the games work out cheaper than using the American storefront. Why is this? It’s the same reason if you do a conversion from Russia, Brazil, Singapore, or even Norway to USD – the price is still cheaper in converted USD than the American storefront USD price. NZ, like the other countries listed, is in a different pricing tier.

tl;dr Steam pricing is not as simple as a direct NZD to USD conversion, there are other factors involved.
    Appreciate the comprehensive explanation Cryo!

I guess I'm so used to NZ being shafted with inflated regional Steam prices by some publishers (I'm looking at you 2k!) that I didn't consider the possibility that we would be put in a lower pricing tier when NZD prices were brought in.

7. Post
    You are not wrong, we are still shafted by some of the bigger publishers. That has not changed too much. Like you mentioned, 2k is a fine example of such ****ery.

On average though, thanks to NZD pricing, we are better off.

8. Post
    It's also likely that a lot of games have their regional price set and rarely reviewed. So against the USD we're still paying the rates we were given when the NZD was stronger.

If it were floated against currency we'd get some weird prices, or they'd have to write an algorithm to calculate a whole value price relative to the exchange rate that only moves when it hits close to a regular price bracket.

9. Post

10. Post
    Steam sale sucks this year. I'm looking at 5 games, 2 are still $100 nzd base and only 50% off even though they're pretty old now. Doom is 67% off but $100 base. Witcher 3 season pass still isn't on sale (default 15% off). I picked up Deus EX MD 67% off earlier than this sale. And ancient game far cry primal is still only 50% off! Also bunch of games which are normally 75% off are only 67% off this time...

Gone are the days of picking up relatively new AAA titles for 75% off. Example I picked up the new Tomb Raider for $10 6 months after it released...

11. Post
    Witcher GOTY Edition is worth the $50 if you like RPGs. If you are a casual player, dont bother.

12. Post
    For anyone who does not have them already pretty good Batman Arkham pack at Bundle Stars: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundl...omplete-bundle

13. Post
    spfun wrote:
    Steam sale sucks this year. I'm looking at 5 games, 2 are still $100 nzd base and only 50% off even though they're pretty old now. Doom is 67% off but $100 base. Witcher 3 season pass still isn't on sale (default 15% off). I picked up Deus EX MD 67% off earlier than this sale. And ancient game far cry primal is still only 50% off! Also bunch of games which are normally 75% off are only 67% off this time...

Gone are the days of picking up relatively new AAA titles for 75% off. Example I picked up the new Tomb Raider for $10 6 months after it released...
    DOOM - approx $23

If you aren't using it already, I highly recommend the Enhanced Steam extension for Firefox or Chrome

14. Post
    Where's the cheapest place to get a gamepad for PC?

15. Post
    Its about $50 for a M$ wired Xbox 360 controller, and they are compatible with 99.999999% of games. ( No adapter or anything needed plug is USB )

16. Post
    I'd get an xbox one controller over the 360 one, as it can go wired / wireless. And the D Pad isn't total garbage. I've seen some on sale for $45, just need to keep an eye out.

17. Post
    +1 on the XBONE, especially if you play platformers

18. Post
    or a ps4 controller if you got spare bluetooth port and prefer its layout
    you'll need ScpToolkit to run as well.

19. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    DS4Windows works perfectly for me. I do play wired though.

20. Post
    Big Origin sale on now, 30% off Mass Effect: Andromeda pre-order - $69, decent as.

Murakami wrote:
    Where's the cheapest place to get a gamepad for PC?
    Definitely get an Xbone controller + wireless adapter for W10, it's worth the $10 extra on top of the 360...battery life is AMAZING and so, so sturdy.

21. Post
    huntakillaz wrote:
    Or InputMapper

22. Post
    Or just Steam overlay

23. Post
    Feliz wrote:
    Or just Steam overlay
    Ignore this, you will want a software that has an "exclusive mode" which inputmapper has. Dragon's Dogma will work with a DS4 natively but won't process the dpad/arrows.

24. Post
    You can pick up XCOM-2, for about NZD$15 on HumbleBundle. Retail is NZD$99 on Steam.

Subscribe to "Humble Bundle Monthly", you can just sign up for a single month and cancel it after if you want.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly