1. Post
    Sitting on my computer, I hear what sounds like a deep fryer. My gf runs to our room, and yells out my name. I honestly thought she was trolling me. The 'deep fryer' sound was actually the sound of water pissing out onto the ground. I go into the room, see this:

^ Crack

^ Crack

^ Crack

^ Smaller tanks / plants being rescued into blue bucket

^ Wet carpet

^ Check the crack on the right side!

^ My smaller tank. Rescued all 5 puffers into it.

^ Plant rescue bucket.

^ Tank emptied, ready for removal. Check the MASSIVE crack, from the top to the bottom, and around the corner.

^ I taped up the tank for removal because I was afraid the only thing holding the shattered glass in place was the top and bottom plastic rims.

^ Got a night stand with rollers on the bottom and rolled it out of the house

^ Final resting place.

It was a molded front tank (not bow front), so there's no chances of fixing it pretty much. G_G

I didn't lose any fish, which I am VERY happy about.

Here are the before shots:

^ Left Side

^ Right Side

2. Post
    Any idea what caused the crack? Just general wear and tear?

3. Post
    No idea... The tank is just over a year old as well, so pretty young.

4. Post
    well is probably likely the glass already was weakened with a tiny fracture. maybe some1 knocked into it or something before and its taken a while for the fracture to break. our fish tank is just over 10 years old. its not like yours tho, its just 5 sheets of glass and some sealant. you probably just a little unlucky since they dont usually go wrong like that.

5. Post
    Call Novus.

6. Post
    This was one of my fears in the Chch earthquake - my 250 litre tank tipping over. It's quite top heavy and old-style 4mm thick glass with silicone welding. It splashed around a bit, spilled some water but I got lucky. Been running it at 2/3 full ever since - just in case.
    Lost a few fish due to 2 days without power though. Only the badass Bear Grylls fish survived.

7. Post
    that must have been it. the shaking weakened the glass and its only given out now.

8. Post
    I'm not in CHCH, I'm up in Auckland. This glass has never undergone any trauma. Also it was atop a leveled stand (which was designed for the aquarium).

9. Post
    I'm not in CHCH, I'm up in Auckland. This glass has never undergone any trauma. Also it was atop a leveled stand (which was designed for the aquarium).
    I knew that - was just sharing my experience too

10. Post
    Had this happen to me last year. Tank was a little older and quite a bit bigger. But needless to say coming home and finding an almost empty tank is quite disconcerting.

11. Post
    Damn, my puffers are PISSED about being moved into a smaller tank. They've gotten a lot more aggressive!

I'm in the process of negotiating a replacement tank with the guy I bought the tank from Hope I can get this sorted quick so I can get the puffers back into a bigger tank!

12. Post
    Poor puffers My 1day tank is still going strong if you want that

13. Post
    goliaph2020 wrote:
    Phhh, how can it be the truth?
    son of a bitch