1. Post

Review: GoldenEye 007 Wii

Review by Ian Knott;

A couple of weeks back in anticipation of reviewing this game, I pulled out my Nintendo 64 and GoldenEye 007 cartridge and proceeded to play through the game once again from start to finish, just as I had done literally dozens of times in the late ‘90s. It’s funny, not having played it for at least ten years I still knew instantly where each enemy was, what was hiding in each wooden crate and where each enemy was scripted to walk. GoldenEye on the N64 remains a solid FPS experience to this day.

However, when I plugged the classic console into my 42” LCD TV and switched it on, I actually shuddered at the horrific graphics that sprung up on screen. But then I remembered that the game was designed to be played on the most common TV at the time – the 29” CRT. So off I went to my son’s room and fired up the N64 on the TV it was made for. The difference was astonishing – from there I powered though a couple of hours of retro FPS goodness.

I’m not going to lie to you – when I booted up Activision’s Wii remake of GoldenEye 007, my initial response was a similar one – “eww”.
    Read more

[Apologies for the late review]

2. Post
    However, when I plugged the classic console into my 42” LCD TV and switched it on, I actually shuddered at the horrific graphics that sprung up on screen. But then I remembered that the game was designed to be played on the most common TV at the time – the 29” CRT. So off I went to my son’s room and fired up the N64 on the TV it was made for. The difference was astonishing – from there I powered though a couple of hours of retro FPS goodness.
    *Shrug* I played a bit of Goldeneye 64 upscaled on a 40"-ish LCD last year and it looked fine to me. I found the controls to be god awful though.

3. Post
    Golden Eye 007 Source is better reboot than the Wii and free , but the N64 still pwns it

4. Post
    gpig wrote:
    Golden Eye 007 Source is better reboot than the Wii and free , but the N64 still pwns it
    Have you actually even played Goldeneye Wii though?

5. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    Have you actually even played Goldeneye Wii though?
    Yes i own the game

6. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    *Shrug* I played a bit of Goldeneye 64 upscaled on a 40"-ish LCD last year and it looked fine to me. I found the controls to be god awful though.
    Opposite for me. I love the controls but thought it looked like poo.

7. Post
    i still love the controls more than dual sticking, and i think it looks crap, but i dont care =p

8. Post
    I used to dual-weild controllers playing 1P Goldeneye. It's actually the first dual-analogue shooter there is, IIRC. It's just that it took two controllers to do so :P

9. Post
    I'm really enjoying this game. The graphics are average but the gameplay is not - it's a lot of fun. Still a bit suss on Daniel Craig replacing Pierce Brosnan though. It's just too weird after playing the N64 original for so long.

10. Post
    hmm Id love to get this game for the wii, but im not paying $150 for a game!

I find most of the wii games are stupidly expensive..

11. Post
    s4turn wrote:
    hmm Id love to get this game for the wii, but im not paying $150 for a game!

I find most of the wii games are stupidly expensive..
    Wtf i got it for $90, are u sure it doesnt come included with a golden controller?

And out of the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii. Wii games are generally the cheapest

12. Post
    $109.99 at Mighty Ape O_o

13. Post
    gpig wrote:
    Wtf i got it for $90, are u sure it doesnt come included with a golden controller?

And out of the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii. Wii games are generally the cheapest
    interesting ok

Im sure I saw it in EB Games for $150, possibly was including a controller?

i'd love the game, as I use to play it years ago

14. Post
    NO PC? FcCKK

15. Post
    Why would it be on PC? It's a Nintendo game.

Besides, there's a HL mod that recreated Goldeneye on PC, I'm sure that's still out there.