Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

The famous engine bay black hole...

so I installing my cusco strut brace and I drop a bolt into the engine bay, 30 minutes later still no luck I did have a spare so thats ok but doesnt it anoy you when you do that? You unbolt everything, move the car a few times but still no luck finding it not the first time this has happened to me lol dam black hole in there some where

2. Post
    Whats worse after putting something back together? A bolt short or a bolt left over..?

3. Post
    Think ive dropped a few header bolt's down the little holes that go into my chassis. Pain in the ass!

4. Post
    I dropped a bolt down the back of my dash today and it went into the air vent. I heard it bouncing its way down the vent then I had to work out how to take it apart to get the bolt back.

5. Post
    You haven't lived until you've dropped a bolt into an inlet manifold.

6. Post
    JvJ wrote:
    LOL OUCH!

7. Post
    You think a car is bad?

I wonder whats rolling around in most trucks, trains or even marine vehicles?

8. Post
    i dropped a 10mm spanner in the engine bay of my old twin turbo subaru once... bad idea. lodged its self IN an exhaust heatshield. Had to jack car up and get under it to even see it, let alone get it back.

9. Post
    stiffy wrote:
    Whats worse after putting something back together? A bolt short or a bolt left over..?
    Thats easy, a bolt left over, you can consider it weight reduction, a bolt short means youve put one somewhere there wasnt one before, or youve done this

JvJ wrote:
    it is sodding scary, i dropped an m8 bolt into one of the runners in my ca, thing is i couldnt remember if it had a washer on it when i dropped it in, didnt have one when it came out, intake manifold off etc

10. Post
    My mate left a bolt in his gearbox bellhousing, grinding noises followed.

Also, the area around the factory RB25 plenum and runners in a freaking nightmare to extract things from.

11. Post
    Last car I bought, I got a couple of bonus tools in the engine bay thanks to prev owner. Haha score

12. Post
    Tadz wrote:
    My mate left a bolt in his gearbox bellhousing, grinding noises followed.
    I had a clutch pressure plate bolt snap off while I was doing skids at a track. Most horrible noise imaginable as it bounces around inside the bellhousing.

now i put new bolts in when I change a clutch.

13. Post
    my surf's a bastard for this, and im ham-fisted. it's why my rocker cover is held down with a tek-screwed clamp at the moment. M6 bolts are always in short supply.

Afgan Monster wrote:
    You think a car is bad?

I wonder whats rolling around in most trucks, trains or even marine vehicles?

i found a tennis ball inside the inlet manifold of a freshly rebuilt truck engine. odd part was to get there it would've had to go thru the air filter. Bastard thing wouldn't get up any decent revs, but was running fine otherwise.

14. Post
    I dropped a 3/8 drive socket in my engine bay once. Found it a year later when under the car doing an oil change.

15. Post
    Macros wrote:
    I dropped a 3/8 drive socket in my engine bay once. Found it a year later when under the car doing an oil change.
    Good to know it nestled up somewhere safe and waited for you to rescue it

16. Post
    just got off the phone to my old boss from the workshop. he tells me he's just had to pay out for his latest apprentice leaving a 3/8 ratchet inside a light truck diff housing when he was changing the diff head.

punched a hole clear thru the back cover of the diff after going once or twice thru the pinion teeth. Customer was not impressed, apparently he found the remains of a ratchet handle in the pool of oil on the road.

Cost the boss $1800 in repairs and parts, not to mention 8hrs labour as well and the loss of a good repeat customer. Makes my most notable cockup (snapped glowplug on a 2-LT hiace, head had to come off, worked all night to do it) look like a bargain in comparison

17. Post
    i remember one guy leaving a bright pink cloth inside the combustion chamber after having the head off..

putting my engine back together i had 5 bolts left over.... nothing broken yet.
    Needs to stop telling GPOD when he masturbates.

18. Post
    The black hole exists on motorcycles too, I spent an hour looking for a rubber tank mount that had fallen off and that's on a bike with no fairing!

19. Post
    Imagine trying to find something that falls under a VH intake manifold.

You guys need one of those magnet LED torches repco sells... they have a telescopic magnet that you can pull out and shove down into crevasses to retrieve bastard bolts & other stuff.

20. Post
    I dropped a washer down the spark plug hole only magnet I could think of was from the speakers of compnents in the front door.

PS on that note if you want a really good strong magnet use ABS/Speed sensors , thanks pikapart.

21. Post
    I found a sweet set of vise-grips that Hondaa left in my engine bay after a service once.

On a semi related topic of being worried about bits and pieces going through engines, a rat decided that an intake pipe is a nice warm place to live. (stolen off GTR-ELITE)

22. Post
    OM NOM NOM

23. Post
    That'll teach the retarded owner of that car to blatantly have his intake open to atmo with no filter.

24. Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if a mouse could eat its way through a paper filter. Had an infestation at my house where the wall gib was eaten right through :/

25. Post
    It was on a TD42 patrol and unbeknown to the owner, it had eaten it's way through the airbox and filter