Page 3 of 3 First 123

1. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    Your local mitre 10 should supply dimplex models local 100% can supply other brands.

For a cheap model if you are cooling a small 3x4 room this 1.1kw unit is fairly inexpensive and doubles as a dehumidifier in winter
    http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/heatin...ooling_269144/
    What's the noise level for one of those units like?

Also, I assume that portable AC like any AC still need a venting hose? I don't have any window that's suitable for a venting hose (window is over 2 metres long vertically, and opens horizontally).

2. Post
    My Dimplex is pretty damn noisy. Not quiet at all I'm afraid. And yeah, you need to vent it out a window or find some similar way of getting the hose outside.

3. Post
    ^ Yeah what he said.

4. Post
    The Arlec I got is about the same noise level as a dehumidifier, I have the same sort of windows: it doesn't cool the room as well with a large opening but if you sit in front of the stream of cold air it feels pretty good; especially in this heat.

5. Post
    If it's that loud though, I may just settle with the huge fan I have. The cooling was sufficient even during the hottest days last summer, even with a beastly rig pumping out heat on the side. I was hoping that a portable air con may be an upgrade in terms of noise more than anything else.

I guess I can only wait ti I move into some other residence that's suitable for installation of wall/ceiling air con. I better check the noise on those ahead of time too.

6. Post
    GhoX wrote:
    If it's that loud though, I may just settle with the huge fan I have. The cooling was sufficient even during the hottest days last summer, even with a beastly rig pumping out heat on the side. I was hoping that a portable air con may be an upgrade in terms of noise more than anything else.

I guess I can only wait ti I move into some other residence that's suitable for installation of wall/ceiling air con. I better check the noise on those ahead of time too.
    Nah, a portable AC will always be noisier than a fan. They'll definitely cool better, as mentioned before my Dimplex kicks some serious ass, but it's a noisy mofo.

7. Post
    GhoX wrote:

I agree mate, I wouldn't bother.

The only time I get mine out is when it's nearing 40 degrees and the fans are just spinning around hot air.

NZ doesn't really get this so I think it's a waste of time.

8. Post
    GhoX wrote:
    What's the noise level for one of those units like?

Also, I assume that portable AC like any AC still need a venting hose? I don't have any window that's suitable for a venting hose (window is over 2 metres long vertically, and opens horizontally).
    46db so not super silent.

Dans wrote:
    I agree mate, I wouldn't bother.

The only time I get mine out is when it's nearing 40 degrees and the fans are just spinning around hot air.

NZ doesn't really get this so I think it's a waste of time.
    Its not really they heat its super humidity.
    My home office/gaming room super heats with my gaming rig as its a 3x3 room (fully insulated double glazed) and living next to farm land at night I get a swarm of insects in if i leave the windows open.

9. Post
    I guess I'm fortunate that I live in the city, and can arrange it so that air passes directly from another bedroom's window, into my room and out of my window in a straight line. On a hot day I'd put the huge fan between the two rooms and air my residence like a computer case.

10. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    Your local mitre 10 should supply dimplex models local 100% can supply other brands.

For a cheap model if you are cooling a small 3x4 room this 1.1kw unit is fairly inexpensive and doubles as a dehumidifier in winter
    http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/heatin...ooling_269144/
    how much was that one? 7-800?

11. Post
    dimplex are super noisy. NZ aint that hot. Just lose a bit of weight

12. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    speak for yourselft

13. Post
    Kog wrote:
    how much was that one? 7-800?
    $429
    nzbleach wrote:
    All units like this generally are you are not going to get a variable speed compressor in something this cheap and even then when the compressor is going hard its going to make noise because its a compressor .

14. Post
    I've got a Dimplex which I paid $700 or so for from Mitre 10. I know Noel Leeming sell the same model as well.

In my experience, the heating is piss poor. Can't really comment on the dehumidification as it was supposed to come with a hose for that and, well, didn't. The cooling performance however, the main course, is satisfactory. Not great, not bad, but good enough. It'll sufficiently cool a small to medium size room. It's very loud, but basically white noise so easy to sleep through.

I've had the thing for 5 years, and being a millennial being bled dry of rent for mouldy houses with no air conditioning, I have sure gotten my moneys worth out of it. Would buy again.
    Last edited by Xev; 7th November 2019 at 8:01 pm.

15. Post
    I thought a dehumidifier warmed the air?

16. Post
    Dimplex unit here as well, and it's been pretty damn good. Had for quite a number of years.

17. Post
    brand wrote:
    I thought a dehumidifier warmed the air?
    Technically this is correct but its not by much. Portable aircons do have there limits as they turn a room into a vacuum as they are essentially extracting hot air out of your room and putting dumping it outside.

18. Post
    Current place is larger and has less insulation than previous, Arlec PA1500 is still working wonders ��