Mountain Biking

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 5763

1. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    Hopefully reliable for you then. Definitely hasn't proven to be in my riding circles.

/r/mtb is a slow motion train wreck. Probably the worst place to go for advice.
    Honestly, I agree.

I absolutely love the Geometry of this bike that I demoed a while ago https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/...s-150-c-rs-mtb. But I just wish it came with better components!

Lewis & Co Auckland has a sick custom made Transition Smuggler (Alloy) for $5900 with Fox 36 equipment and Shimano XT. But 120mm rear travel might be a problem...and I guess it's heavy.

2. Post
    Ooh, I really want a Smuggler. Wish I had a spare 6k...

3. Post
    With any luck will have a new bike on the way next week

4. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    With any luck will have a new bike on the way next week
    What have you decided on going to try **** mine off so I can get a specialized enduro

5. Post
    ilikepie2 wrote:
    What have you decided on going to try **** mine off so I can get a specialized enduro

Assuming we get the okay from the distributor, I'll be getting a Scott Ransom.

If you're intrigued by the HSP, I've heard that perhaps the new Norco Range model will be using that as well based off what they've learnt from the Aurum - just something to perhaps keep in mind.

6. Post
    I’ve got to sell mine first, I’d either like the new mondraker super foxy or the enduro

7. Post
    Did you get to ride it much with the new shock etc?

8. Post
    robrc12 wrote:
    Would highly recommend Split Enz if you are going to shuttle up. Other wise parking at the end of the tree walk car park and riding up to the start of Corridor and then merging onto Tokorangi is a good time.
    Cheers for the recommendation. Tokorangi is great. I also really liked Paddy's Run and Bunny Jugs.

9. Post
    Pxndx wrote:
    Did you get to ride it much with the new shock etc?
    If your talking to me, yep the shock and brakes are wicked

10. Post
    Good to hear you're enjoying the Hope brakes.

11. Post
    If I bought a bike from a local bike shop in NZ but then moved and took it to Australia, do you think I'd still be able to make claims on things like frame defects under warranty?

12. Post
    Usually, but it's brand dependent. Given that you would be giving up your ability to leverage the consumer guarantees act, I'd choose the brand carefully based on their support. Some will just tell you to go back to the retailer (or will tell you to go **** yourself, regardless.)

In my experience, this would mean I would be more inclined to buy a Santa Cruz as I have had nothing but perfect results from their warranty process, and this mirrors the experience of almost anyone that needs to use it. I have nothing but praise for them and consider them to be the best in the business.

On the other hand I would avoid Trek and Norco - both are brands that either didn't support my friends through obvious warranty issues, or only supported them after leveraging NZ's excellent consumer protection laws.

Alternatively you could buy a Craftworks ENR. It's an amazing australian enduro bike, and the owner is a great guy.
    Last edited by AgrAde; 14th January 2020 at 6:45 pm.

13. Post
    AgrAde wrote:
    Usually, but it's brand dependent. Given that you would be giving up your ability to leverage the consumer guarantees act, I'd choose the brand carefully based on their support.

In my experience, this would mean I would be more inclined to buy a Santa Cruz as I have had nothing but perfect results from their warranty process, and this mirrors the experience of almost anyone that needs to use it. On the other hand I would avoid Trek and Norco - both are brands that either didn't support my friends through clear warranty issues, or only supported them after leveraging NZ's excellent consumer protection laws.
    Cheers.
    If only Santa Cruz didn't cost an arm and a leg :'(

14. Post
    ^Then get a Yeti..

15. Post
    Even better...Zerode

16. Post
    Speaking of expensive, got a Trust Shout fork on the way. Should be a laugh and a half

17. Post
    Always wondered what they ride like, have seen them in person a few times but never had a ride.

18. Post
    Bet you can't break it.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

19. Post
    That'd be a nice ****ing change.

20. Post
    Such weird looking things. Would love to hear they stack up price-performance wise

21. Post
    That fork looks sick!!!

Alright. Sorry about all my indecisive posts about finding my next bike but I think I've nailed it down to 2 last options.

Either the new 2020 Whyte S-150CRS for $5444 shipped from Wanaka to Auckland Torpedo7 https://whyte.bike/products/s-150c-rs-v2

Or the 2019 model of the same bike which I think I might be able to get for $4800 or $5000 at my local Torpedo7 https://whyte.bike/products/s150crs

Now there is no geometry difference and the only difference with the new model is colour, newer shock (might be charger 2.1. SRAM says charger 2.1 but Whyte website says Charger 2), better brakes (code vs guide) and MUCH better dropper post. Apparently the Ks-Lev integra dropper has reliability issues, where the new models Bike Yoke dropper is supposedly awesome!

So need to decide whether paying that extra dollar is worth it.

I assume the 2019 model has been sitting in the store for a year (not sure if that matters).
    Last edited by AlDrag; 17th January 2020 at 6:36 pm.

22. Post
    If you have the coin and happy to spend it I'd lean towards the 2020 - Codes are a bit of a meatier brake and if thats true about the better dropper this seems like a great financial move. Plus the 2020 model year will hold value just a tad better when it comes to resell.

If you go for the 2019 make sure it gets a once over when your shop receives it - knowing T7 they won't give a **** and just reassemble and give it to you.

23. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    If you have the coin and happy to spend it I'd lean towards the 2020 - Codes are a bit of a meatier brake and if thats true about the better dropper this seems like a great financial move. Plus the 2020 model year will hold value just a tad better when it comes to resell.

If you go for the 2019 make sure it gets a once over when your shop receives it - knowing T7 they won't give a **** and just reassemble and give it to you.
    Thanks! New brakes are pretty cheap it seems but yea your other points make it worth it.
    Plus if it has the Charger Damper 2.1 then it's definitely a no brainer.

You mean if I go for a 2020?

I swear I saw T7 using a power drill on a bike stem! Can't remember if they were removing the stem or not and can't remember the bike but surely regardless if Aluminium or Carbon, that seems like a very bad idea.....

24. Post
    Well a set of codes are approx 500 retail from memory, so that's basically your difference made up there.

That comment about look over was for the 2019 since it's likely been on the floor longer, derailleur has probably been banged to death so needs a tune etc etc.

2020 definitely make sure it's done properly too though.

25. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Well a set of codes are approx 500 retail from memory, so that's basically your difference made up there.

That comment about look over was for the 2019 since it's likely been on the floor longer, derailleur has probably been banged to death so needs a tune etc etc.

2020 definitely make sure it's done properly too though.
    Ahhh yep I see!
    Yea what worries me about the 2020 is that they have to dismantle it in Wanaka (At Racers Edge Wanaka though, which I assume has more knowledgeable staff than Auckland) and the built again in Auckland Torpedo7 haha.

But sweet. I think I am going to order the 2020 model tomorrow! A shame I have to wait for it to arrive in though!

Edit: I can sell the Guide brakes when upgrading with something better, but that's just more of a hassle to make it worth it.