Mountain Biking

Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
(4 votes)
Results 5,601 to 5,625 of 5757

1. Post
    Tbh, just breaking down for a bike box is very simple and the same on the reverse. Nothing you can do real damage to even without a torque wrench. Should be sweet.

2. Post
    Damn it, last minute thought...is it better to get something with more travel like this? https://whyte.bike/products/g-170c-rs-29er-v2

170mm in the rear and 160mm in the front. Better shock than a Pike too...but it'll possibly corner worse and maybe be less fun on tamer trails?

Only an extra $200

3. Post
    Pretty long and slack, though I don't think it's bad thing tbh. Without knowing your trails and riding style hard to say definitively. I'd lean towards the extra travel though tbh

4. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Pretty long and slack, though I don't think it's bad thing tbh. Without knowing your trails and riding style hard to say definitively. I'd lean towards the extra travel though tbh
    Downhill is my favourite, and I'm getting more aggressive, but my area requires a lot of pedalling to get to the downhills and they only go 1.5km down before you have to climb again. So I'm sort leaning towards the S-150. The S-150 actually has more reach, but yea less slack.

5. Post
    I'd pick the 170. The extra angle and travel will be amazing for confidence downhill and the climbing difference will be negligible unless doing some fairly technical uphill work.

6. Post
    PhillipNZ wrote:
    I'd pick the 170. The extra angle and travel will be amazing for confidence downhill and the climbing difference will be negligible unless doing some fairly technical uphill work.
    Would it make a difference in turning?

7. Post
    AlDrag wrote:
    Would it make a difference in turning?
    yes but no. Bike geometry is all about compromise but I think its worth it in this case

8. Post
    This is what I commonly ride https://youtu.be/TOCcqZUnNSY

And the hardest trails supposedly at Woodhill is these https://youtu.be/4_RT48Etfgg

What trails do you guys commonly ride to justify the longer travel? Just want to compare

9. Post
    I didn't justify the upgrade from my 150mm Remedy to the Enduro based on specific trails I ride. I always try and push my ability to limits regardless & I'm sure both those bikes can be pushed to a similar limit given enough skill.

I guess how I would justify it looking at those bikes, the 170 would be much more compliant and forgiving in the rough down hill sections due to both fork and shock being higher spec, geometry changes, better wheelset and bigger brakes. The line between trail and enduro is a blurry one but it will be hard to ignore the better spec equipment of the 170.

10. Post
    PhillipNZ wrote:
    I didn't justify the upgrade from my 150mm Remedy to the Enduro based on specific trails I ride. I always try and push my ability to limits regardless & I'm sure both those bikes can be pushed to a similar limit given enough skill.

I guess how I would justify it looking at those bikes, the 170 would be much more compliant and forgiving in the rough down hill sections due to both fork and shock being higher spec, geometry changes, better wheelset and bigger brakes. The line between trail and enduro is a blurry one but it will be hard to ignore the better spec equipment of the 170.
    You bring up very good points. It is hard to ignore the fact that is rocking a Lyrik instead of a Pike and a Super deluxe in the rear.

I definitely will push myself harder on the easier downs and go even faster so it probably is worth it.
    Later on if I feel I'm really missing the fun in the simpler trails then I could always just buy a second bike.

11. Post
    AlDrag wrote:

And the hardest trails supposedly at Woodhill is these https://youtu.be/4_RT48Etfgg

What trails do you guys commonly ride to justify the longer travel? Just want to compare
    I would be fine taking my 160/140mm bike down the start of that hardest trail.
    It's just when the speeds go up the compressions get rougher and that's where I'd like more travel and the stability of the slacker geo.
    With the bigger (travelled) bike it'll give you that confidence to try out the steeper stuff if that's what you want.
    It'll make that flow trail feel a bit boring but you can counter that by simply going faster.

I am going through the same question for my next bike too.

12. Post
    The last paragraph of this review gives an interesting overview

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/supercharg...s-29er-review/

"As mentioned previously, when we reviewed the Whyte G-170 RS 27.5 we were left in a quandary. Whyte has another bike in their portfolio, the awesome S-150 29er. The bigger wheels of the S-150 meant it could go toe-to-toe with the big 27.5” G-170 on most terrain while being more versatile for all-around riding. The new G-170C Works 29er model clears up any blurred lines confusion. Whyte makes no bones about who the G-170C Works 29 is for, it’s for the privateer or professional enduro racer, as such, it’s not compromised by having to be an all-rounder. While the G-170 Works 29er pedals uphill better than expected, with huge travel reserves it’s a bike for taking chances, pushing harder to save milliseconds and riding on the limit. Most riders will find the S-150 a much more engaging companion on most trials, but for riders who stray between the tapes frequently or who love bike park gaps, the G-170C Works 29er is the bike they have been waiting for, a total weapon."

13. Post
    Ended up getting a Commencal Meta Am 29. Should arrive at work on Wednesday and will get the hope brakes fitted so it's ready to go.

14. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Ended up getting a Commencal Meta Am 29. Should arrive at work on Wednesday and will get the hope brakes fitted so it's ready to go.
    Awesome I love the look of the commencal bikes hopefully it’s a winner, have you ridden one before or just biting the bullet?

15. Post
    One of my good mates has the 2019 clash and absolutely swears by it, probably the most skilled rider Ive been with so if he says they're a good time then I'm inclined to believe him. Not radically different geometry from the Norco, more of an upsizing than anything else.

Hopefully works out fine.

16. Post
    Very nice! What spec did you get?

17. Post
    https://www.commencal-store.co.nz/me...de-c2x28626978

Couldn't justify spending the extra 1k to go up a model for arguably not as nice suspension with that fit4 damper (Bearing in mind I've come from a Yari with the MoCo damper), brakes I'd take off anyway, and I'm very happy with NX anyway - would upgrade that over time as shit wears down for cheap as chips anyway.

Only issue I do have with it is the Deluxe select + shock. Doesn't sound like its super great for heavy trail/enduro style riding so that will probably get swapped out to a coil at some point. That was the main draw for me going up a model as it has the super deluxe select +

18. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    https://www.commencal-store.co.nz/me...de-c2x28626978

Couldn't justify spending the extra 1k to go up a model for arguably not as nice suspension with that fit4 damper (Bearing in mind I've come from a Yari with the MoCo damper), brakes I'd take off anyway, and I'm very happy with NX anyway - would upgrade that over time as shit wears down for cheap as chips anyway.

Only issue I do have with it is the Deluxe select + shock. Doesn't sound like its super great for heavy trail/enduro style riding so that will probably get swapped out to a coil at some point. That was the main draw for me going up a model as it has the super deluxe select +
    Bit strange it doesn't come with a super deluxe since it already comes with a Lyrik...

Awesome though, I'm sure it'll be a blast.
    What made you get it over the clash?

19. Post
    Yeah it is a bit odd but I guess they had to cut costs at some point.

Clash is on pre-order at the moment and it is a bit closer to the park bike side of things which isn't what I want considering the heavier construction of commencal frames. I'm not a strong climber so I'd rather not make like life any harder for myself than necessary.

20. Post
    Went for the first ride since Easter yesterday.
    Didn't get very far lol, having to go up Nursery Hill to get into the forest is a killer when you are unfit.

21. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    Went for the first ride since Easter yesterday.
    Didn't get very far lol, having to go up Nursery Hill to get into the forest is a killer when you are unfit.
    Long time since you last went for a ride! Almost a year.

What brought you back to it?

22. Post
    I've been doing 12-13 hour days at work since about March, so come the weekend, I've been to tired/ lazy to want to do anything tbh.
    Decided that needs to stop, so at least if I can get out twice a week on Sat/ Sun, it's better than nothing.

23. Post
    AlDrag wrote:

For those trails I'd be looking at a 140mm to 150mm trail bike. Nothing with crazy long travel. They are miles from DH or enduro bike territory (which that Whyte 170 was made for), where you have big G outs, chunky rock garden stuff and the like, all at high speed. From what I see, they're the kind of trails that would reward a responsive mid-travel bike with decent modern geo. Look at a 29er if you're on the taller side.

I ride a 180mm/170mm (front/rear) enduro bike in Nelson and push reasonably hard. I want my next bike to have less travel and a more responsive playful platform, because having fun is more important to me now than going fast (I just wanted to go fast when I bought my Firebird). I'd consider sizing down too (I sized up at the time)

Having seen that Crankworks ENR in action it's a very tempting bike!

24. Post
    Rode Wainui today, damn it was hot.

25. Post
    capriv8 wrote:
    For those trails I'd be looking at a 140mm to 150mm trail bike. Nothing with crazy long travel. They are miles from DH or enduro bike territory (which that Whyte 170 was made for), where you have big G outs, chunky rock garden stuff and the like, all at high speed. From what I see, they're the kind of trails that would reward a responsive mid-travel bike with decent modern geo. Look at a 29er if you're on the taller side.

I ride a 180mm/170mm (front/rear) enduro bike in Nelson and push reasonably hard. I want my next bike to have less travel and a more responsive playful platform, because having fun is more important to me now than going fast (I just wanted to go fast when I bought my Firebird). I'd consider sizing down too (I sized up at the time)

Having seen that Crankworks ENR in action it's a very tempting bike!
    Hey thanks for the response.

After all the differing opinions I've been getting and research, I agree. Your opinion helped me lock it in, so I'm gonna order this bike tomorrow https://whyte.bike/products/s-150c-rs-v2

What bike was tempting at Crankworks ENR?