Page 1 of 7 1234 ... Last

1. Arrow
    Hands-on by Justin Kranzl;

Mortal Kombat has been deemed so violent it has been refused classification in Australia. We went hands-on with NetherRealm's upcoming reprise of the fighting classic to see what all the fuss is about.

FACING A DECENT LIU KANG player in NetherRealm Studios’ back-to-roots Mortal Kombat is an exercise in trying to get your fist in edgewise. Should you subject any of your friends to his barrage of fireballs, screen-length flying kicks and high pitched babbling, you'll quickly find your social circle shrinking. And don't even try to maintain a decent conversation because the slightest lapse in concentration typically leads to you eating a Kangfoot sandwich.

The fiery homage to Bruce Lee headlined a list of new playable characters unveiled by NetherRealm at a showcase run by parent company Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment during San Francisco's Game Developers Conference.

Mortal Kombat, it seems, is back to ride to fresh sales records. And with Capcom enjoying signal successes with Street Fighter IV and Marvel vs. Capcom 3, it's not only a smart move, it's also perfectly timed. Make no mistake: the ninth Mortal Kombat is aiming to topple the high regard in which Mortal Kombat II – considered the purists’ pinnacle – has been held. They're well on their way.
    Read more

Cheers for the heads-up, Jopsy

2. Post
    Got this pre-ordered and really looking forward to it. Happy that we are getting the bonus scorpion outfit, wish we could get them all though.

3. Post
    just another reason why Australia sucks ranga nuts

4. Post
    For some reason thought this was just a psn/xbl release not a full-blown retail game. Will be nice to play MK again.. though I wish they'd just re-release MK3 in HD or make a new 2D one

5. Post
    knightwolf wrote:
    or make a new 2D one
    This is 2D, or more specifically, fought on a 2D plane?

6. Post
    got the demo. pretty awesome!

Some of the combos you can do are insane. Fatality's seem really easy to do aswell, dont kno if thats a good thing tho.

7. Post
    Can you play multiplayer with the demo? Is it a big download?

8. Post
    Midi wrote:
    This is 2D, or more specifically, fought on a 2D plane?
    This isn't 2D.

9. Post
    The arenas have no depth, there's no far/near movement. The game can be played on 3DTVs if that's what you mean..?

10. Post
    Isn't it whats referred to as 2.5D? 3D graphics on a 2D plane? Only getting picky for Krichuls sake.

11. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    Isn't it whats referred to as 2.5D?
    now thats a good way to describe it.

12. Post
    Getting a little semantic there, t0mby 3D modelling, sure - but in terms of core fighting mechanics it's a 2D game.

13. Post
    It's a 2d fighter, pretty simple. It's the same as Street fighter 4.

14. Post
    t0mby wrote:
    Isn't it whats referred to as 2.5D? 3D graphics on a 2D plane? Only getting picky for Krichuls sake.
    Yeah, 2.5D, just like SF4 or LBP.

I remember back in the day when games like Duke 3D were called 2.5D because the engines couldn't do "true 3D", but I guess 2.5D now focuses on 3D models acting with 2D mechanics.

15. Post
    Midi wrote:
    Getting a little semantic there, t0mby 3D modelling, sure - but in terms of core fighting mechanics it's a 2D game.
    I remember media referring to Pandemonium on PSone as 2.5D. Game had really nice 3D graphics but the core gameplay was just 2D platforming like Mario.

16. Post
    Yeah t0mby, but this is the era of 3DTV and 3D navigation. We're past using marketing terms like 2.5D?

Besides, there's nothing wrong with a game being "2D" - if anything, you could argue 3D fighting planes was a novelty, a failed experiment in the fighting genre given their exclusion from the latest round of titles?

17. Post
    Street Fighter was never going to work in 3D, all SFIV did was prove there is still a market for old skool 2D fighters, hence the amount released in recent years. 3D fighters are still good if done right, problem is the market was saturated with ones that were almost identical, only difference between the popular ones was weapons (Soul Edge/Blade/Calibur), unarmed (Tekken) and technical (Virtua Fighter). Most of the others disappeared, such as Battle Arena Toshinden, Rival Schools, Tobal etc etc.

18. Post
    Pretty much everything I read refers to stuff like this, SF4 etc as 2.5d
    Wells

19. Post
    Wells wrote:
    Pretty much everything I read refers to stuff like this, SF4 etc as 2.5d
    Yeah it's interesting actually: call it personal experience, but I can almost see a Public Relations Manager when I hear you guys say "2.5D".

20. Post
    It's easier to say 2.5d because you know for sure that if you call it 2d then someone is going to kick up a fuss about it lol

It is a 2d fighter though, which is what most people mean when they are saying 2d and talking about a fighting game.
    Wells

21. Post
    Wells wrote:
    you know for sure that if you call it 2d then someone is going to kick up a fuss about it lol
    Haha, no argument!!

22. Post
    Radian8 wrote:
    It's a 2d fighter, pretty simple. It's the same as Street fighter 4.
    This. When Midi says 2D fighter it means the mechanics of the game, not the graphics (though they used to coincide more in the past perhaps?).

23. Post
    Andyman1337 wrote:
    Got this pre-ordered and really looking forward to it. Happy that we are getting the bonus scorpion outfit, wish we could get them all though.
    All the outfits can be unlocked through the game
    knightwolf wrote:
    Can you play multiplayer with the demo? Is it a big download?
    Yeah but I'm not sure on the dload size

24. Post
    muzumuzu wrote:
    All the outfits can be unlocked through the game
    Good point. Character wise though from memory you can only get Kratos by playing it on PS3, and you can only get Jade by using the code that comes with Mortal Kombat 1/2 on Blu-ray?

25. Post
    muzumuzu wrote:
    Yeah but I'm not sure on the dload size
    Has that been confirmed? We're talking about the Pre-Order bonus "classic ninja" outfits - in the states there are three different retailers with bonuses - for Scorpion, Sub Zero and Reptile, respectively. Everyone in the game has *an* alternate outfit, but I was under the impression that these three were exclusive extras.