Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Arrow

Review: Rift

Review by Geoff Parmenter;

Spare a thought for those involved in MMO development. As consumers, we have high expectations from these makers of worlds: a new universe to lose ourselves in for hours a night, an ever-changing, polished and enticing world in which to invest both our free time and our hard-earned money.

Stray but a little and the behemoths of the genre will be there to regather those lost players, bringing them back into the warm, familiar fold. Implement functional design choices learnt from games with years of experience behind them and the cries of “this is just a clone!” will ring out across General Chat.

You can't please everyone.
    Read more.

2. Post
    Pretty good review in here, but really could have used more info about PvP and non-combat aspects of gameplay. This seems largely PvE focused.

3. Post
    http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/art/thumb/2830326.jpg

Reminded me exactly of that place in WoW, forgot the name.. Loch Modon or something. Gnome starter place.

Can you make trial accounts for this? Would be keen to see what it's like before spending $50 on it just to try it..

4. Post
    The game is mostly PVE based, PVP remains in the 'tacked-on' early WoW stage.
    Though after being hacked due to a security hole in their launcher, a week ago, I'm still waiting on their customer service to get back to me.

Good game, their GM department needs a fire lit under them.

5. Post
    Way too high a score for cloned, rehashed and uninnovative trash with uninspiring art design and system hog graphics

6/10 would have been much more fair for something that only gives more of the same, the same, the same.

6. Post
    Rungus wrote:
    http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/art/thumb/2830326.jpg

Reminded me exactly of that place in WoW, forgot the name.. Loch Modon or something. Gnome starter place.

Can you make trial accounts for this? Would be keen to see what it's like before spending $50 on it just to try it..
    that doesn't look anything like loch modan. Maybe dun morogh

Bt wrote:
    Way too high a score for cloned, rehashed and uninnovative trash with uninspiring art design and system hog graphics

6/10 would have been much more fair for something that only gives more of the same, the same, the same.

agreed.

7. Post
    I really want to pick this up but with Star Wars coming and Guild Wars 2 behind that, I might just stick to single player games for now. It looks cool though

8. Post
    7-8 for a newcomer to mmos
    5-6 for a veteran

9. Post
    Anyone playing im thinking of getting it tonight
    But want some kiwis to play with.

10. Post
    elliarto wrote:
    I really want to pick this up but with Star Wars coming and Guild Wars 2 behind that, I might just stick to single player games for now. It looks cool though

Haha, don't need any more distractions right.. got SWTOR...TERA...GW2 all coming out towards end of the year (assuming no delays).. where is the time and money to play them all.. but I must!??

11. Post
    Diablo 3 > GW2 > SWTOR > TERA > EVERYTHING ELSE.

12. Post
    Bt wrote:
    gah, totally forgot about D3! thanks for making my decisions harder..

13. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Diablo 3 > GW2 > SWTOR > TERA EVERYTHING ELSE.
    Just a question, how do you know this when they ALL havn't even been released yet?

14. Post
    Rungus wrote:
    Just a question, how do you know this when they ALL havn't even been released yet?
    Sorry, that is going to be my preference for playing is what I meant :P

15. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Your forgetting alot of the sp games aswell.

16. Post
    Anso wrote:
    I don't really do SP anymore

I'm looking forward to the Batman game though and probably some others but multiplayer is my preference

17. Post
    im playing rift, level 25 warrior (paragon/beastmaster/champ) and enjoying it more than any other mmo I have recently played! Should do me until D3

18. Post
    Firefall looks awesome. My interest relies solely upon there being Oceania servers though.

Obvious general rule:- High ping + twitch, player skill-based action game = usually pretty unplayable.

19. Post
    Anso wrote:
    Every time I try to play an SP game you spam me on steam with GW2 stuff.

I'm half-assed playing Rift, its not a bad MMO just the same as all the rest and I would hardly call it a lvl grind compared to most MMOs (other than easy mode WoW).

20. Post
    Playing it currently atm with a couple of mates as a 35 Cleric. Its nothing new or special but its still pretty damn polished for a new mmo and the devs have been good to addressing any issues etc. It passes the time till GW2 comes out. Would give it a 7.5 out of 10 simply because it doesn't try to innovate or change rather just build on what is working but it stills a good game.

21. Post
    Given the stat and game play of the "other" game that all new MMORPG are compared to, this game is so much better.

Given I was totally sick of the other game and had no more tolerance for the game play, character classes, or PvP , I thought I would feel much the same about the Rift as I do the other game, being its so similar and all..

WRONG, the only similarity is the interface, and the fact you do quest, but they been around from the early MMORPG and MUDS so that other game cant claim they invented it.

Having played through many many MMORPG from the start of the Internet in NZ and Aus many years ago now, oh the days of modems connected ISP and pinging the US to play these games.

I have to say this game is by far the most fun beyond DAOC days, beats the pants of the other game, has much better feel to it, and the company behind it actually listens and interacts with the community. its pulled in all the great aspects of many good but failed and not so failed MMORPG and made a fantastic game.

The Callings are a fantastic idea, and means if I want to play any soul combo in the game I just need to level 4 characters that it only 4 not 10.. and those 4 give me 8 different souls I can combine to make a toon I want to play that the biggest appeal this game has for me, dps and healing clearics at the same time, healing master clerics, healing tanking rouges, healing dps mages.. its all good and good good good!!

22. Post
    Jerez wrote:
    Playing it currently atm with a couple of mates as a 35 Cleric. Its nothing new or special but its still pretty damn polished for a new mmo and the devs have been good to addressing any issues etc. It passes the time till GW2 comes out. Would give it a 7.5 out of 10 simply because it doesn't try to innovate or change rather just build on what is working but it stills a good game.
    Server? Im on Dayblind, heard it was the unofficial oceanic server..

23. Post
    p145m4 wrote:
    Every time I try to play an SP game you spam me on steam with GW2 stuff.

I'm half-assed playing Rift, its not a bad MMO just the same as all the rest and I would hardly call it a lvl grind compared to most MMOs (other than easy mode WoW).
    Thats just so you have the info because you don't read=P

Someone has to feed you=D

24. Post
    I'm another one who has dumped WoW for this game. Loving it so far and I believe it has a lot of potential.

I believe it is completely disingenuous for people to compare this using WoW as the benchmark, when WoW has had 5-6 years of iterative polishing and refinement. Rift is FAR more polished and complete than WoW was at launch, and if enough people stick around to allow the developers to polish and tweak it over time, I can honestly see it being the #2 MMO in the market place and eating into a large chunk of WoW's market share.

25. Post
    Fortris wrote:
    I can honestly see it being the #2 MMO in the market place and eating into a large chunk of WoW's market share.

If you really like the game, then I'm happy for you, but that statement is highly unlikely.